By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 4 Sold More Digitally Than Physically Day One

GamechaserBE said:
Well even with pc only being digital it is amazing, the sales on xone/PS4 are higher than on pc.

No, you can buy the PC version of Fallout 4 at retail.

Around the Network

Interesting!
Do we know what the day one sales were? Can we deduce from that some sort of breakdown?

Bandorr said:
pokoko said:

No, you can buy the PC version of Fallout 4 at retail.

Does it count as a physical copy when all it is is a steam.exe?

I don't see why not.  A retail sale is a retail sale.  They still have to pay for shipping and they still have to give the retailer a cut.  Doesn't matter if it's just a code written on a slip of paper inside a box.  

*sigh*

More skewing numbers (PC sales) to create the illusion that everyone is buying digital in mass in the hopes that people ditch physical so they can control us all and eliminate second hand sales.

Bandorr said:

So given the options of digital, or "go to a retailer/wait for shipping - THEN going digital" which do you think people chose more?

One is 100% better than the other. You can't resell the physical version. You aren't getting the physical version for cheaper. So what benefit would there be to getting the "physical disk that is a digital download" over just "a digital download?

So people weren't actually given much of a choice. I much rather have gotten a physical version of it for the PC to avoid having to download it - but I couldn't. Thus I got a "digital" copy of it.

That is why I think a console comparison only would be better. There you had the choice of digital OR physical- with pc you don't.

Obviously more people buy digital on PC but it's not as if no one buys the physical box.  Some people just like having the case on their shelf.  Others will buy it as an impulse on the way home from work, or use gift cards, or buy it because of retailer points.  Retailers stock them so they must be selling somewhat.

Also, the comparison is still completely valid because of Skyrim and other PC games that just put a launcher on the disc.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
DivinePaladin said:
No matter what I never intend on leaning digital, but even if I wanted to I wouldn't plan on doing so until laws are in place allowing people to pass on digital catalogs just as they could physical media in their wills. Discs are licenses just as much as downloads are, yes, but if I die I could give my collection of discs to my kids or something.

I know that's not directly related to the OP but PC gamers have effectively caved as time's gone on because steam is convenient to them, not thinking about what happens to those thousands of dollars they've spent if something goes wrong.

I think that we as the hardcore gaming community look at this from a very different perspective than that of the casual gamer.  I would say the majority of people play their game and then forget it exists.  They either trade in their disc to get the next game, or leave it on their hard drive until they need space, and it never really goes any deeper than that. 

As collectors we are in the minority.  The value for most people with regard to most anything is in their initial experience.  I pay 60 bucks for a 10 hour game, I am satisfied with my 10 hours, as an example.   The convenience of digital just allows them to get their 10 hours in a faster more direct way.

I agree completely. This issue is one I really want to see develop on a grander scale, with games as the forefront. If I leave you my film collection upon death, why does that only include my PHYSICAL film collection? I was reading up on this and there may be legal precedent to change this soon enough but it's a conversation we as a community need to being to the forefront. Games are art now, legally speaking, but our licenses for them are less legally recognized when we don't physically own that license somehow. PC games have gone a step further, where even physically owning it doesn't matter because the disk is a one-use steam key. PC gamers, ironically since the PC crowd are the ones who argue that they have more freedom, have given up their freedom to own their games in order for ease of access. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

kowenicki said:
Not surprised at all. Digital sales are higher than people here want to accept.

Get ready for the digital future. People wanting physical should pay more (digital should be cheaper).

Yes we know, because of this Halo 5 sold like 100 million copies, at least thats what the rumors are.

OT: This number underlines what most everyone knew by now. Digital is growing fast. But F4 is not the best example for this. F4 was heavily PC oriented, preloads were available and even the PC retail edition was a Steam key. And even so, this is just day one. That means absolutly nothing, really without hard numbers to back the claims.

Seeing that the game sold ~ 9 million on PS4/Xone combined at retail, when the cumultive sales were at 12 million, it yet again points at the fact that even with digital growth, retail is here to stay for a while.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Great news. It's important that the big AAA titles grow in the digital area. I look forward to an all-digital generation :).

This information is going to get abused every NPD.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
This information is going to get abused every NPD.

Information like this needs to get abused until such a time that it becomes more transparent.  We should be seeing full data on sales in both retail and digital forms for all varieties of media, including video games.