By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did I misunderstand the term "fan service" all along?

RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:
Fan service = Sex

It doesn't make sense to use the term that way, unless someone is a pervert who wants to feel better about himself, because fan service sounds innocent.

Let's take Metroid: Other M, for example. It certainly meets your definition of fan service, but it really wasn't what the fans wanted, so it shouldn't be called fan service. However, this problem would be fixed by calling the game fap service. A lot more descriptive and less ambiguous.

Lemon party sounds innocent too but there are no lemons involved.

Around the Network

I thought fan service was anything added to please the fans. I do see a lot of people who associate it with just boobs/sexual stuff though.

RolStoppable said:

What I believed it to be are references and nods to past games that only fans would be able to truly appreciate. Something like in Final Fantasy IX where a weapon shop in one of the big cities of the first continent houses Cloud Strife's sword (Final Fantasy VII) and offers a funny remark upon examination of the object. Or the trophy room in Super Smash Bros. games which has lots of cool stuff to look at for Nintendo fans. That's what fan service meant to me.

But apparently fan service stands for shameless exploitation of female characters that adds nothing to the games themselves. I liked my interpretation a lot better because it is more respectful of the medium and gamers alike. That other thing (the exploitation) should go with the much more appropriate term fap service.

The term covers both cases. It's just a question of what they're a "fan" of. Although I wouldn't call the trophy room in Smash a case of fan service.

More strictly, though, it's a little more towards the exploitation case than the "easter egg" case. It covers situations where something is put in for the sake of "fans", even if it detracts from the experience. It's where the creators prioritise existing fans over expanding the fandom. The Cloud Strife sword thing is an easter egg, an inside joke, not really fanservice.

I take it as something that's a nod to the camera. Then again hot chicks are fan service for certain fans as well

I am Iron Man

Fan service?

The fact that Kim Possible's work clothes don't cover her midriff. That's fan service.

Around the Network

Yes today this is what it means. Male and Mature Gamers are the biggest spender and mouthpieces in videogames, so it makes sense to target us.
Games grew up too like their fanbases.

RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:
Fan service = Sex

It doesn't make sense to use the term that way, unless someone is a pervert who wants to feel better about himself, because fan service sounds innocent.

Let's take Metroid: Other M, for example. It certainly meets your definition of fan service, but it really wasn't what the fans wanted, so it shouldn't be called fan service. However, this problem would be fixed by calling the game fap service. A lot more descriptive and less ambiguous.

Metroid the Other M was no kind of service. It was only sad. That said, I was far more dissappointed with giving Samus daddy issues and making her a weak and subordinate character than any display of tits/asses. You can have females characters that wear next to nothing because it's practical (exceddingly unlikely but possible), they don't care about what other people think (possible) or they use their sex appeal as an asset (reasonable if done correctly). However I would agree all to often people don't bother properly (or reasonably) explain the reasons why those characters wear what they do and it does become irksome.

Anyway, fan service is aimed at pleasing the fans (either in references or sex appeal) but that doesn't mean it necessarily hits the mark.

Sex appeal is a subset of fanservice but it does not span the entire space. (Too much linear algebra for me)

As long as fan service is free and not something a few developers would ask for a $$$. It should be fine.
Since most gamers are men/boys, fan service really lean more on boobs/waifu etc.

Fan service is basically anything that is done for the sole purpose of pleasing the fanbase. For example, Final Fantasy spinoffs like Theatrhytm is pretty much pure fanservice meant to excite long time fans of the series by giving them a bunch of the series best music in a rhythm game. The whole eye candy thing is just one subset of fanservice, although a very prominent one certainly.