By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did I misunderstand the term "fan service" all along?

Fan service is really just anything made for that specific demographic or established fanbase. That includes eye candy and Easter eggs I think.

Around the Network

I agree, it should be about homages and parodies, if fan service means "giving the fans "exactly what they want" then too bad I enjoy the same medium that is dominated by otakus who collect anime girl toys. :/

Fan service is giving the people what they want over artistic integrity. For example in Terminator the T-800 says "I'll be back" and it wasn't fan service at that moment, it meant something toward the plot. It just became a line people loved and quoted so they've tried to find ways to force the line in sequels and promotions because fans loved it.

I don't think being sexy is always fan service. It comes down to if it fits the character and story. It can be hard to say in many instances what the line is between doing it for the story and just to make fans happy.

I think they are obviously two different things, and they should have two different names, but nowadays the term fan service is used in both situations. Fap service is really more appropiate, with fan service being nods and references to the past. For example, The Force Awakens film, though amazing, is based on fan service with constant references to A New Hope. Dead or Alive Voleyball or whatever it's called would be fap service. I like the term xDDDD

Nymeria said:
Fan service is giving the people what they want over artistic integrity. For example in Terminator the T-800 says "I'll be back" and it wasn't fan service at that moment, it meant something toward the plot. It just became a line people loved and quoted so they've tried to find ways to force the line in sequels and promotions because fans loved it.

I don't think being sexy is always fan service. It comes down to if it fits the character and story. It can be hard to say in many instances what the line is between doing it for the story and just to make fans happy.

Good point there! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Your original definition is the correct one. I am going to be prejudicial and say that the otaku culture has always been quite perverted. Now that the popular culture has headed there too over the past few decades. The new definition could mean anything, as seen from the nonsensical answers given in this thread.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:
Fan service?

The fact that Kim Possible's work clothes don't cover her midriff. That's fan service.

That's nonsensical. If that had been the motivation for the outfit's look, then the revised mission outfit of season 4 would have at least maintained that look instead of covering her midriff, or turned her into Lara Croft.

Likewise, Kim's daily life clothes change a lot from season 2 onwards and cover more skin than her classic green top/blue pants combo.

I don't know if I should agree, laugh, or be disturbed by this reply.

S.Peelman said:

I don't know if I should agree, laugh, or be disturbed by this reply.

All of the above.

Personally, I believe it means when something is done for the sake of pleasing fans and such, as you said. But it also spills into your second definition.

So i'd say you weren't mistaken by the definition, but perhaps didn't see the big picture of it.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

^ The guy made a comment about Kim Possible to a Kim Possible fanboy... what do they expect would happen?

Anyway, I agree with you, fan service is either little or big thing done for fans like including a reference, line or even entire character in someone just for fans. Exploitation of female characters in a game on the other hand, really isn't.

Hmm, pie.