By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did I misunderstand the term "fan service" all along?

Actually, you're right and wrong. Fan service is anything that is done solely for the fans' enjoyment. It has a very broad definition. It's like how they made that Serenity film for the fans of the Firefly show. The film is basically fan service/a proper ending for the show. Panty shots in anime is fan service. It's not that confusing.

Around the Network

From a NON Fanboy/Girl of the game:

Sexual Fanservice - "OH! This turns me on"
NON Sexual Fanservice - "Eh! I dont get it" or Casually ignores it since he/she didn't think it would mean something big.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

fan service is doing something simply because your fans want you to instead of doing something actually creative or staying true to a story

It's admirable of you Rol. The pixels need someone to save them from the exploitation!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The day I realized what "fan service" truly meant changed my life as well. xD

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
Fan service is literally anything done for fans. It can be references, or it can be boobs. Anything meant to pander to the intended audience is fan service.

Fan service for Call of Duty would be weird- an option to become a woman with big boobs. Fight against other people in an erotic battlefield.

If Activision did that, they'd easily sell millions in a day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Fan service is literally anything done for fans. It can be references, or it can be boobs. Anything meant to pander to the intended audience is fan service.

Fan service for Call of Duty would be weird- an option to become a woman with big boobs. Fight against other people in an erotic battlefield.

If Activision did that, they'd easily sell millions in a day.

If only Activision knew how to do that, they'd really be in for a treat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I would consider the old Club Nintendo fan service considering they rewarded you with games and prizes for buying Nintendo games. Seems like their new service will be about the same by rewarding people who play their games.