By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft so bad at making interfaces?

Wow. This is such a misinformed OP.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

I just bought an XB1 over the past weekend. Before that, I was strictly doing all my gaming on Sony platforms, but I'm very deep into the Windows eco-system. I've got a couple Surfaces, another laptop, a Band 2, and several generations of Windows Phones. I have some gripes with the UI in W10 Mobile, but on my Surface and my laptop W10 is a really great experience.

As for the XB1 interface, I'm not fond of it. There are some minor gripes. For example, navigation is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but accessing games requires too many button presses from the main page to the games library. I'm not sure what the old interface was like, but I'd prefer to have my pinned items show up at the top of the page rather than having to press a trigger to jump to the pins.

I'm still getting a hang of the UI, and it might grow on me over time, but the great thing about W10 in all its iterations is that a lot of the UI is never really and truly "final." If there are issues with the UI, I expect them to be tweaked and changed in due time (hoping to get into the preview program somehow). So I'm optimistic for what's to come in the future.

sethnintendo said:

Not a fan of their tile layout which they introduced on Windows 8. Looks like shit in my opinion. Most desktop owners would probably agree with me on that. They try and push phone/tablet designs on desktop users and it didn't work one bit. 

It also seems like they try and dumb everything down so much but it fucks with your ability to do the things you actually want to do.  I'm sticking with 7 till I get a new PC which won't happen till 2020 or so which is the time they will stop supporting 7.  Their annoying upgrade to Windows 10 update that they pushed onto computers that have install automatic updates is terrible.  The GMX program would crash constantly on boot up on my PC.  Why the fuck would I upgrade to 10 if your stupid upgrade program can't even work properely?  I had to delete the update that GMX came in just to shut it the fuck up.

I highly recommend that you do just that.

I've had nothing but problems with the upgrade.  I'm getting game crashes that crash the entire OS, which I didn't have with W7.  Probably has a lot to do with the graphics drivers but that's still an issue that came with W10.  I've had the restart freeze up issues I've alread mentioned.  I've had issues with Chrome not working--the icon even disappeared and I had to reinstall.  I had an issue where ALL browsers would freeze up if they were open at the same time, which is ridiculous.  My W7 media setup was through Libraries, which W10 tries to wipe away, meaning I have to go back and set everything up again.  W10 recently reset some of my folder settings and view settings, probably with one of the forced patch restarts they do, which annoyed the hell out of me.  The lack of customization on the start menu is also really annoying and a step back from W7.

I deeply regret upgrading to W10 from W7.  Problems aside, I don't even see anything that I would call a meaningful improvement.

Windows 8 and the Xbox dashboard in particular are designed to be counter-intuitive so they can make you navigate over countless ads and features they want you to use, rather than just going directly where you want to go. It's like how supermarkets arrange everything to be very spread out and in weird places so you're forced to walk around everywhere and see more products. To get a bit salty here, it's one of the anti-consumer practices that has made me lose a lot of respect for Microsoft in the last few years. Making a product worse on purpose to control our experience and suck more money out of us is just not okay.

Windows 10 is perfect fine and X1 as well except for the store which is complete garbage.

Around the Network
snyps said:
fatslob-:O said:

Windows 8 sucked for sure but with Windows 10, Windows 7 user's should definitely feel more at home (pun intended) ... 

Good to hear because I'm seriously upgrading to 10 this month before the crossbuy stuff begins.

Goodluck. I upgraded last summer, had problems, reverted back to win 7, still have problems. Maybe the problems were a coincidence as even a factory reset has not helped, yet Windows 10 ran worse anyway for the few weeks I had it.
I just brought my nearly 14 year old xp pc back to life, damn that's a lean OS. 360 mb memory usage, fast startup, it just works. Too bad that pc is too weak to run video full screen. Disgrace that a Pentium 4 with xp feels more responsive than an i7 with windows 8.1

kowenicki said:

Your loss. Windows 10 is 7 but better.

I'd rather get the pro version with a new or refurb PC instead of the upgraded free version.  I don't like how they are secretive with what the free version gets (updates, etc) and what information they want to gather from you (I've heard you can turn off most information gathering going through manual update).  I usually move on to the next OS when I get a new PC.  I've skipped Vista and 8 and never regretted it.  I'll get 10 around 2020 and I don't think I'll be missing out on too much.

Their Xbox One interface is fine. Its actually the best in the gaming market imho. More improvments are coming tomorrow. Avatar store is being added as well.

kowenicki said:

Paranoia.

Google is not a software company. In the same way MS is not a gaming company and Sony isn't a finance company.

MS is synonymous with software, Sony with hardware and Google with advertising. Everything Google does is about generating ad revenue.

The Forbes top 2000 company list agrees with me, you disagree with me... so I'll stick with my original answer if you dont mind.

The top 10 companies in the 2015 list for the "Software & Programming" industry are:

RankOrganisationRevenueFYMarket capHeadquartersRefs
1 Microsoft $93.58 2015 $439 Redmond, WA, USA [1][2]
2 Oracle $38.27 2015 $194.7 Redwood City, CA, USA [3][4]
3 SAP $23.3 2014 $85.9 Walldorf, Germany [5][6]
4 Salesforce.com $6.61 2015 $52.9 San Francisco, CA, USA [7][8]
5 Symantec $6.58 2015 $17.7 Mountain View, CA, USA [9][10]
6 VMware $6.04 2014 $35.3 Palo Alto, CA, USA [11][12]
7 Fiserv $5.66 2014 $17.2 Brookfield, WI, USA [13][14]
8 CA Technologies $4.26 2014 $13.7 Islandia, NY, USA [15][16]
9 Intuit $4.19 2015 $26.0 Mountain View, CA, USA [17][18]
10 Amadeus IT Group $4.1 2013 $17.7 Madrid, Spain [19][20]

again,. such a weird, narrow view on the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software

google makes software and pays for their investment via ad revune instead of direct purchase.  big fucking deal.  are you going to tell me abc doesn't make television programming then because they pay for that programing by making people watch ads?  ..or maybe your going to tell me the xbox and surface are actually pieces of software because ms is a software company?

Can I have fun with this one? Because to me it's as good as asking:

-Why is water wet?
-Why is the sky blue?
-Why is cheese delicious?

MS is bad at interfaces cuz they're MS lol

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016