By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft so bad at making interfaces?

Mistershine said:
2 step verification is never a bad idea and a button that says unavailable implies that you can't get the item, whereas a button that says bundle only is pretty self explanatory.

Please explain it to me 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pokoko said:

I highly recommend that you do just that.

I've had nothing but problems with the upgrade.  I'm getting game crashes that crash the entire OS, which I didn't have with W7.  Probably has a lot to do with the graphics drivers but that's still an issue that came with W10.  I've had the restart freeze up issues I've alread mentioned.  I've had issues with Chrome not working--the icon even disappeared and I had to reinstall.  I had an issue where ALL browsers would freeze up if they were open at the same time, which is ridiculous.  My W7 media setup was through Libraries, which W10 tries to wipe away, meaning I have to go back and set everything up again.  W10 recently reset some of my folder settings and view settings, probably with one of the forced patch restarts they do, which annoyed the hell out of me.  The lack of customization on the start menu is also really annoying and a step back from W7.

I deeply regret upgrading to W10 from W7.  Problems aside, I don't even see anything that I would call a meaningful improvement.

And I recommend he doesn't. W10 working great for me on a Surface Pro4. Opinions huh...

You upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on a Surface Pro4?

That's interesting.

The problems with Microsoft's UI started when they started to play with industry standards to "bring something new to the table" and to "avoid stagnation". While occasionally updating a standard is a good thing, they tried to push the envelope a little to far with their ribbon interfaces, which are still considered bad though that perception is slowly changing. Which upset the standard and a lot of customers, I was having an UI class about the same time, and they used this as what not to do when designing an UI in an already established genre of software. And them soon afterwards they introduced sweeping changings to Windows. And this gave them the reputation of having "bad" interfaces in the perceptions of the end user.

It isn't that the UI is totally bad, it does get bad in spots, especially the Xbox One's store interface (imo its probally the worse interface currently amoung the three cosole companies), they just tried to shove too much change at one go, in something that should have taken successive generations. This whole thing feeds into the how groups view Paradigm Shifts that are shoved on them.

I consider the updated Xbox One interface a vast improvement to the original. I attribute some of the slow or lag issues I experience to the hardware vice the actual software.

Windows 10 is great IMO!

Unfortunately this thread is rampant with misinformation based off opinions vice actual facts.

Luckily Kowinicki squashed most of the misinformation in his previous posts.

fielding88 said:
I just bought an XB1 over the past weekend. Before that, I was strictly doing all my gaming on Sony platforms, but I'm very deep into the Windows eco-system. I've got a couple Surfaces, another laptop, a Band 2, and several generations of Windows Phones. I have some gripes with the UI in W10 Mobile, but on my Surface and my laptop W10 is a really great experience.

As for the XB1 interface, I'm not fond of it. There are some minor gripes. For example, navigation is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but accessing games requires too many button presses from the main page to the games library. I'm not sure what the old interface was like, but I'd prefer to have my pinned items show up at the top of the page rather than having to press a trigger to jump to the pins.

I'm still getting a hang of the UI, and it might grow on me over time, but the great thing about W10 in all its iterations is that a lot of the UI is never really and truly "final." If there are issues with the UI, I expect them to be tweaked and changed in due time (hoping to get into the preview program somehow). So I'm optimistic for what's to come in the future.

As someone who is new to it, you know you can double tap the Xbox button to bring up the menu.  I just told my friend about that who has had it for a year, he had no idea.  lmfao

Around the Network

I'm slowly getting used to Win10 (definitely not in love yet), but I really, really don't like the Xbone interface. Going from Wii U's slick, easy-peasy UI to whatever it is my Xbone is running was a nightmare. T_T

I can see the link in the OP and I am not signed into my MS account, so I'm not sure what's going on there.
My only real problem with the XBO interface is that "My Stuff" is now all the way at the bottom of Home and you have to look in Games and Apps to find some of your installed games. Otherwise it's fine I think.

I feel like I screwed up soo bad going from 8.1 to 10. I absolutely hate it. I can navigate it somewhat fine but my pc runs like dog crap on it now. Soo many freezes. As far as the ui on xbone goes I hated the original and the w10 integration has just totally confused me. Before I had soo much trouble finding what I was looking for and it seemed laggy. It seems much snappier now but it looks soo generic and I'm still confused. I dislike it soo much that I will only play games on it. Just trying to play rare replay is even confusing. 360 dashboard kills xbones. Ps4 is simple and sweet. I also like ps3s. I wish they would do some type of classic so I could feel like I was on my 360.

Sharpryno said:
fielding88 said:
I just bought an XB1 over the past weekend. Before that, I was strictly doing all my gaming on Sony platforms, but I'm very deep into the Windows eco-system. I've got a couple Surfaces, another laptop, a Band 2, and several generations of Windows Phones. I have some gripes with the UI in W10 Mobile, but on my Surface and my laptop W10 is a really great experience.

As for the XB1 interface, I'm not fond of it. There are some minor gripes. For example, navigation is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but accessing games requires too many button presses from the main page to the games library. I'm not sure what the old interface was like, but I'd prefer to have my pinned items show up at the top of the page rather than having to press a trigger to jump to the pins.

I'm still getting a hang of the UI, and it might grow on me over time, but the great thing about W10 in all its iterations is that a lot of the UI is never really and truly "final." If there are issues with the UI, I expect them to be tweaked and changed in due time (hoping to get into the preview program somehow). So I'm optimistic for what's to come in the future.

As someone who is new to it, you know you can double tap the Xbox button to bring up the menu.  I just told my friend about that who has had it for a year, he had no idea.  lmfao

I learned that one ;) I meant that the games and apps are too low on the home page, and I've gotta jump down to the bottom to access my games or the pinned programs. I wish all that stuff was on top, or if maybe there were a tab in the Action Center (or whatever it's called on XB1) to access your list of games.

PS3 one interface, simple in nice. PS4 one interface simple in nice. Xb360 3 full redesigns, Xb1 already 1 full redesign probably another one or two redesigns to come.