By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft so bad at making interfaces?

Microsoft is one of thee top software companies. Used to be no. 1 and no one expected it to end like it did. They are huge. So why is it that their software is so counter intuitive? What happened? You know what I'm talking about right?

Xbox one's dash board and Windows 10 have unintuitiveness everywhere. I just looked to see if Shadow Jago was really taken off of the Microsoft Store and what I found was a broken page. https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Dlc/Shadow-Jago/a6333f44-9600-4058-a745-6d22de1bd88c#bundleWidgetWrapper And I'm pretty sure you can't even see this page unless your signed up, which is pretty stupid, and that means you gotta jump threw an over protective email code to verify your identity. But if you go to that page and click Bundle, whatever the f*** that means, it will show you the bottom of the page which is like a description of when it released. Couldn't they figure out that a simple button that says unavailable would be the sane thing to do?

I live in Seattle and I know this company is huge and I also see the others like amazon here. There's actually software developers everywhere I go. I've also noticed that it seems there a 1:1 ratio of people from india and natural born americans at Microsoft. So this sounds crazy i'm sure and I should just go to bed but I feel like saying, Microsoft can't make a user interface and that's really friggin surprising to me. Did they lose their talent to other tech companies? Cause I can't explain this.

Around the Network

I personally like the Windows 10 interface ...

fatslob-:O said:
I personally like the Windows 10 interface ...

I haven't actually used Windows 10 I just assumed it was as bad as Xbox One and Windows 8.

snyps said:

I haven't actually used Windows 10 I just assumed it was as bad as Xbox One and Windows 8.

Windows 8 sucked for sure but with Windows 10, Windows 7 user's should definitely feel more at home (pun intended) ... 

Because their priorities are geared towards advertising instead of accessibility

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

Windows 8 sucked for sure but with Windows 10, Windows 7 user's should definitely feel more at home (pun intended) ... 

Good to hear because I'm seriously upgrading to 10 this month before the crossbuy stuff begins.

snyps said:

Good to hear because I'm seriously upgrading to 10 this month before the crossbuy stuff begins.

Yould should do it soon since the upgrade ends in less than 6 months ...

I agree XB1 is a mess, in particular when you compare it to PS4 or even Xbox 360. I don't mind the flat look but you would think the simplicity would result in a fast/snappy experience. Instead the overall feel of the UI is sluggish and jumpy. Also a lot of actions open a new app, resulting in a visual interruption with the app's splash screen, and more delay while the app loads. It's terrible. It's like they don't care, or they don't know what they're doing.

Netty said:

I agree XB1 is a mess, in particular when you compare it to PS4 or even Xbox 360. I don't mind the flat look but you would think the simplicity would result in a fast/snappy experience. Instead the overall feel of the UI is sluggish and jumpy. Also a lot of actions open a new app, resulting in a visual interruption with the app's splash screen, and more delay while the app loads. It's terrible. It's like they don't care, or they don't know what they're doing.

Or they have a different sense of intuition than the average westerner.

That's the good thing with Windows 10, it has been build to last and to be upgraded, perfected.

Sadly it really isn't perfect at the moment, especially on Xbox, and Windows phone 10 is taking a long time to come on old phones.

Thing is, the amount of work they are putting today into their OS has become far greater. It was already complicated in the 90's, but now it's really huge.

You have to also remember that everything is free.