By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you quit Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

Would you quite Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

yes 197 44.57%

no 245 55.43%

Total:442

Simple answer, yes. I honestly don't really care if I quit gaming. I buy little to begin with.

Around the Network

It hasn't really bothered me when I bought Fable II back when I played on my 360 along with some other titles back then and it hasn't bothered me on PC now. I don't think it would bother me much in the future either, especially since my library on 3DS is becoming more and more digital as time goes on. A game doesn't lose any value to me because it's digital, it's only when it's an online only game (which doesn't matter physical and digital wise) and gets shut down, that's when I lose the value because it's no longer accessible.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BasilZero said:
Ruler said:

These servers like steam, PSN and Xbox Live dont hold forever. One day they will be shut down and you wont know what will happen with your games

And your hardware (Wii, WiiU, 3DS, Vita, PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Xbox One) will also break down and you wont be able to replace them because the manufacturers wont make them anymore due to the existence of their successors in the future.

What will you do then? Build yourself a PS3? l0l

Both Physical and digital platforms both have ends. Just because you buy physical media now doesnt guarantee that you will have it forever. Dont forget about disc rot - that will happen eventually to your physical media as well.

You can repair a lot of comppoents in consoles. Including disc drives. I do it myself. So you can keep a console going. I won't be surpsied at some point people will reverse enginer CPU GPU/PPU chips to replace those key componets. Right now people just repair their consoles from the busted consoles sold as parts. The rest are easily fixable. As long as you know what you're doing. Disc rot isn't a big deal. That's only for burnt media. Pressed takes longer. People will be old or dead when that happens. So it won't really matter.

BasilZero said:
archer9234 said:

You can repair a lot of comppoents in consoles. Including disc drives. I do it myself. So you can keep a console going. I won't be surpsied at somepoint people will reverse enginer CPU GPU/PPU chips to replace those key componets. The rest are easily fixable. As long as you know what you're doing.

I highly doubt majority of people will do that. Mainly people are lazy and will do whatever is easier. Then there's the fact that you can only fix something so many times before its gone for good or requires things that arent worth buying for over something like buying a new platform/console.

If anything they'll more than likely buy physical remasters or digital ports of the games on future platforms.

Tha'ts not the point. People who want this, has options, even now. I spent $20 dollars on caps. And I fixed my gamegears power supply. as an example. I'd pay more on VC to rebuy all the games I got, then that.

Ka-pi96 said:
I'd quit console gaming for sure. Don't mind digital on PC because significantly cheaper prices and it's quick and easy to see which games you have and to redownload them if needed.

On console those prices are much higher £20 more for some new games and even more on older games as it seems rare for digital console games to get discounts. For example FIFA 15 is currently £39.99 (was probably £50 or £60 at release) on PSN while a physical copy on Amazon is only £12.50, that's a new copy as well not used.

Plus no backwards compatibility? Fuck that! Buy a digital game on PC and I can play it on any PC any number of years later. For a console? Nope. Tied solely to that hardware. Sony no longer produce PS3s? well that's my entire library of PS3 games gone then. At least if I had physical copies I could either sell them on or use emulators (legal since I'd own the games and at one point the hardware) to continue playing them.

Then there's download times. My internet is kinda crappy and no way am I upgrading it, costs too much as it is, so it's still faster to go out to a shop and buy a physical copy of a game than it is to download it.

Then there's preorders. What do I get with a digital preorder? Probably nothing. Maybe a predownload or something which I likely won't bother with anyway. Oh and maybe some extra costumes or something that I couldn't give a fuck about.
What do I get with a physical preorder? Well 9 times out of 10 I end up getting the game a day or two early.

completley agree, Retail Games are an advantage for console gaming over PC.

homer said:
If you buy games expecting them to increase in value, you're just being foolish. You will make more for your efforts flipping burgers.

well some allready did it for me like Akibastrip, Toukiden or Fatal Frame 5 bought them all lower and now they increased in price haha . I found this very impressve for new games. I also get many older games for a good price who increase in value, i got Klonoa for 17€ last year now the game goes over 50.

I dont specificcaly buy games to sell them. I just counted the facts in a neutral perspective as a consumer.

BasilZero said:
Ruler said:

These servers like steam, PSN and Xbox Live dont hold forever. One day they will be shut down and you wont know what will happen with your games

And your hardware (Wii, WiiU, 3DS, Vita, PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Xbox One) will also break down and you wont be able to replace them because the manufacturers wont make them anymore due to the existence of their successors in the future.

What will you do then? Build yourself a PS3? l0l

Both Physical and digital platforms both have ends. Just because you buy physical media now doesnt guarantee that you will have it forever. Dont forget about disc rot - that will happen eventually to your physical media as well.

Trust me there are 110 million Wiis, 170million PS360s and over 60 million 8 gen consoles right now. There will be plenty avaible espacially the x86 architecture consoles will be very reliable. And there will be emulators on PC and Blue-Ray Drives for it.

Around the Network

Yes.

If I don't own what I buy, it has no value to me anymore. The older generations have more than enough games to keep me occupied for lifetimes, I don't need to enslave myself to the whim of publishers.

Ruler said:

for me absolutley, if Sony, Nintendo and MS decide to make Digital Only hardware in the future then i am done with Mordern Gaming. I dont see the point why i should invest money into something which is dependent on these servers and linceses.

I much rather spent money on things i will be able to play even in 20 or 30 years from now on, no matter what. And its not only longevity but its also the fact that physical copies drop in price but they can increase in price as well. Even mordern retail games like the NA Devils third version becomes a collectors items @day1. Digital games can only go down and you cant resell them. Why should i spent 10-20$ for a 2D Indie game if i can buy SNES or PS1 games who do it better, are sometimes even cheaper and increase in value maybe?

The 8 Gen consoles biggest competitors isnt PC or Mobile but their previous console generations when it comes to my wallet. /rant

You're already dependant on servers and licences. The fact of the matter is, any console maker can stop you from playing a game you bought right now if they really wanted to, regardless of whether it's a digital copy or a hard copy.

As a collector, I've no problems with a digital only gaming world. Of course I'd prefer it to come later than sooner. Lately, I've been on a spending spree for limited edition titles. This still can be achieve in a digital only world where you are given a code for the game title along with the collectibles. But in regards to digital titles, the cost for digital titles must be cheaper than a physical counterpart. Since the PSOne days, new titles have only risen in price from $40 to $50 to $60 when first released. If titles in a digital only world DO NOT continue this trend, I see myself buying into it. And then you have sale such as the Steam sales and PSN Flash sales. I would prefer to not have a digital only console market. But with adjusting my buying habits, I can see myself doing it.

Yes. Then I would probably become a Retro gamer

What is the principle difference between a game being stored on a hard drive or a Bluray, its digital storage either way? Or is it streaming that is the issue?