By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What JRPG are you playing now?

Chazore said:
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. Playing as a Mage who recently switched vocation to that of one of the three hybrid selections, the Magick Archer, though I'm having a bit of a lackluster time with that class since I apparently need to play as others in order to get the best results for when I do get to play as a MA, not my cup of tea having to go that route but I guess I have no choice.

just run around and kill easy targets like goblins and wolfs in the vocation you need to level up.

You are not after exp but DC points (the thing that levels your vocation) and for some reason according to DD "nerds" thats the way to go.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

Digimon cyber sleuth :D

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Finished Xenoblade X and now Dragon Quest IV.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Working on 100% Xenoblade Chonicles X (only farm when Ygg Zero is up at this point, nothing else left to do).  Prior to that was Tales of Zestiria.

Just dusted off the PS1 and RGB monitor and started Breath of Fire IV currently.

I've only played WRPG's the past year or so (Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 in 2015). Actually I haven't played a JRPG in quite some time now that I think about it, last one I played was Lightning Returns I believe. That'll change though once PS4 starts getting a bunch of JRPG's soon. (Nier Automata, Persona 5, FFXV, etc...)

Around the Network

Always playing more than 1 at a time. Currently:

Xenoblade X
Tales of Zestiria
Trails of Cold Steel

All pretty good. Xenoblade is the best by a fair way though. Too early to say how the others will turn out.

Shiken said:
Tales of Zesteria. Starts out slow, but a fantastic JRPG that when it hooks you, your hooked. Strongly recommend people give this one a go.

That Tiamat fight though.  OMG I still listen to that track regularly.  

Such a simple scene, but one that seriously made the hair on my neck stand up and made my eyes moist from the sheer joy of experiencing such an all too rare epic moment in JRPGs today.

Davman said:

Western developers are now better than japanese : Fallout , Mass Effect , Elder Scrolls , Dragon Age , Witcher e.t.c

I play Fallout 4 atm , the next one i will pick up is one from those : Final Fantasy XIII-3 , Witcher 3 , Valkyria Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles X. (Haven't decided yet)

If you just want photorealistic free for all reality simulators with no soul or story sure...

I enjoy games like Fallout but western games cannot beat the tragedy and suspense of stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles (first one) or the heartwarming tales of stuff like Ni no Kuni.  There's just a magic in JRPGs that you will not find in western games which often appeal to the lowest common denominator American casual gamer who looks at graphics and world size first and lean more towards guns and action in a FPS format.

I dig western RPGs for the exploring and free roaming and piecing the back story of a post apocolyptic world from undiscovered records and logs of places I discover, eg, Fallout, but when I want to feel my manovaries leaking and give myself an emotional breakdown, nothing beats a tragic JRPG with a sweeping symphony string musical score and dramatic voice acting and spine tingling plot twists and heavy meaning of life type story revelations.

Hiku said:
ednice said:
Suikoden, I'm mostly just playing it so I can get to the second one but it's pretty good.

Suikoden 1 is good. Suikoden 2 is amazing.
You don't have to play through 1 first, but you'll appreciate the returning characters, substories and references a lot more. Remember to transfer your save file with the good ending (108 recruited stars) from Suikoden 1 for a very nice bonus in Suikoden 2.

I recently picked up a complete physical copy of Suikoden II.  I wonder if I can sneak this in between Breath of Fire IV and The Division coming up in March.

Hmm...

Or if I can find my Suikoden save file.  It's been so long it might be worth playing both back to back.

I went through the trouble of digging out and setting up my PS1 and RGB cables, might be time for a PS1 JRPG marathon.  I could use a break from these god awful 100% platinum'ing of modern games.  Times were so much simpler when you didn't have to do dumb shit like "ride 10,000 steps on a chocobo" in order to consider being 100% complete.  Or when ultimate weapons were absolute and just dropped form enemies or were found in secret chests in the final dungeon instead of requiring 600 hours of RNG farming and crafting only to still be a tradeoff with some other potential ultimate weapon.

Hiku said:
exdeath said:

I recently picked up a complete physical copy of Suikoden II.  I wonder if I can sneak this in between Breath of Fire IV and The Division coming up in March.

Hmm...

Or if I can find my Suikoden save file.  It's been so long it might be worth playing both back to back.

I went through the trouble of digging out and setting up my PS1 and RGB cables, might be time for a PS1 JRPG marathon.  I could use a break from these god awful 100% platinum'ing of modern games.  Times were so much simpler when you didn't have to do dumb shit like "ride 10,000 steps on a chocobo" in order to consider being 100% complete.  Or when ultimate weapons were absolute and just dropped form enemies or were found in secret chests in the final dungeon instead of requiring 600 hours of RNG farming and crafting only to still be a tradeoff with some other potential ultimate weapon.

Lol, I remember doing that in FFXIII-2. I put a rubber band on the analogue stick and went and did other things in the meantime.

Have you played Suikoden 2 before? If not, I highly recommend it. My favorite rpg to this day.

Nope. Played the first when it came out, never played 2. 

Final Fantasy II (IV) held the top spot for me for 2 decades until I played Xenogears for the first time and was completely blown away.

I wonder if I should expect Xenogears proportions of epicness?  I hear so much about Suikoden II.