By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

Says the guy with the Trump avatar.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I teach in a 98-99% inner city, low income, African american public school. I am white. Here are some thoughts I have on what I see:

There is a TON of disrespect towards each other, themselves, and adults by the students. When someone in the community (often a former drop out or graduate) dies, instead of being sad about it the students most often treat it as some interesting and exciting news. The value for life in this community is drastically lower in comparison to higher income environments.

The kids, for the vast majority of them, do not care about their grades. No matter how many times we, as adults, try to point out the importance of it, no matter how many times we describe how this could be there way out of this way of life, they just don't care. To them, dropping out or failing doesn't matter (we do have students that do care, but most don't).

There are fights all the time and there are legit gangs (based on streets the students live on around the school). We have had weapons, drugs, sexual activity and we've had the cops in the school and around it when these events go on, chasing down the students that are trying to flee.

When I look at this (and this does connect to the white privilege thing) I start to ask why. I have a history background and teach government in this school. Why do I (and let's just be honest here) see black people doing this stuff so often in these types of environments? It doesn't take long to find the answer. You look at the families and realize the truth. In education, it's common for us teachers to say to each other that we are powerless if the home life isn't aligned with us. If the family has fallen to pieces, then we have no shot at helping these kids most often. When I look at the families of the students I work with, so often is there no dad or grandma is in charge because mom is on drugs or dad is in prison, dead, or was too scared to be a baby dady and ran.

So it's easy to just blame the families, but then I have to think why are they the way they are? I have a good friend, from Nigeria, that I was roommates in college with for a couple years. He NEVER acted like this. He contributed to society. He had a whole and wonderful family and now has a wife and a baby on the way and is living the dream, if you will. He was and is extremely respectful, cares about his future, and cares about life. What makes him, and many other Africans I knew, so different in their morals, values, and educational focus than so many African Americans?

Slavery. When Africans were stripped from Africa and forced to become slaves, we beat them down and made them feel inferior. We took them away from their families and split them all up. There entire race has been basically shut into an insane asylum and then, after a LOOOOONG time, were set free. Did we do anything to help them adjust to this freedom? Did we issue national programs to help them reconnect with their families?

Any race, if given what Africans Americans went through, would degenerate similarly. It isn't their fault and many of them are ignorant to why they are what they are in the first place. We are all subject to conditioning. Their conditioning started hundreds of years ago. As a race, white people totally screwed up the mentality of African Americans through slavery. This is the reason why we are "privileged" and why we owe them until their race is restored to the same playing field as any decent African (intelligent, family focused, and concerned with helping themselves and others have good lives).

!!!

Thank You. 

Dulfite said:
I teach in a 98-99% inner city, low income, African american public school. I am white. Here are some thoughts I have on what I see:

There is a TON of disrespect towards each other, themselves, and adults by the students. When someone in the community (often a former drop out or graduate) dies, instead of being sad about it the students most often treat it as some interesting and exciting news. The value for life in this community is drastically lower in comparison to higher income environments.

The kids, for the vast majority of them, do not care about their grades. No matter how many times we, as adults, try to point out the importance of it, no matter how many times we describe how this could be there way out of this way of life, they just don't care. To them, dropping out or failing doesn't matter (we do have students that do care, but most don't).

There are fights all the time and there are legit gangs (based on streets the students live on around the school). We have had weapons, drugs, sexual activity and we've had the cops in the school and around it when these events go on, chasing down the students that are trying to flee.

When I look at this (and this does connect to the white privilege thing) I start to ask why. I have a history background and teach government in this school. Why do I (and let's just be honest here) see black people doing this stuff so often in these types of environments? It doesn't take long to find the answer. You look at the families and realize the truth. In education, it's common for us teachers to say to each other that we are powerless if the home life isn't aligned with us. If the family has fallen to pieces, then we have no shot at helping these kids most often. When I look at the families of the students I work with, so often is there no dad or grandma is in charge because mom is on drugs or dad is in prison, dead, or was too scared to be a baby dady and ran.

So it's easy to just blame the families, but then I have to think why are they the way they are? I have a good friend, from Nigeria, that I was roommates in college with for a couple years. He NEVER acted like this. He contributed to society. He had a whole and wonderful family and now has a wife and a baby on the way and is living the dream, if you will. He was and is extremely respectful, cares about his future, and cares about life. What makes him, and many other Africans I knew, so different in their morals, values, and educational focus than so many African Americans?

Slavery. When Africans were stripped from Africa and forced to become slaves, we beat them down and made them feel inferior. We took them away from their families and split them all up. There entire race has been basically shut into an insane asylum and then, after a LOOOOONG time, were set free. Did we do anything to help them adjust to this freedom? Did we issue national programs to help them reconnect with their families?

Any race, if given what Africans Americans went through, would degenerate similarly. It isn't their fault and many of them are ignorant to why they are what they are in the first place. We are all subject to conditioning. Their conditioning started hundreds of years ago. As a race, white people totally screwed up the mentality of African Americans through slavery. This is the reason why we are "privileged" and why we owe them until their race is restored to the same playing field as any decent African (intelligent, family focused, and concerned with helping themselves and others have good lives).

Wow never thought I would read something like this in these forums. This is very inspiring. I would add that here in Quebec, Canada the same observation can be applied to native Canadians. The state they are in is pretty sad yet our government thinks that placing them in special parks with wellfare is enough. These people have no identity, no solid ground to build anything on.

Jazz2K said:
Dulfite said:

Wow never thought I would read something like this in these forums. This is very inspiring. I would add that here in Quebec, Canada the same observation can be applied to native Canadians. The state they are in is pretty sad yet our government thinks that placing them in special parks with wellfare is enough. These people have no identity, no solid ground to build anything on.

It's been on my heart a lot lately. Working in this kind of environment and seeing the struggle these kids go through changed me.

Dulfite said:

Please fuck off, slavery was everywhere, between black people, between arab and black people, between indian and arab people, between indian and black people, between chinese people and indian people, the list goes on and on and on, and who ended slavery? WHITE PEOPLE, this absolutely ridiculous notion that white people have to bend over backwards for african americans and give them everything, despite the fact that it was the white people who abolished the slavery of these people and freed them, and made slavery, for the first time in human history, illegal is ridiculous. All slaves were beaten down and made to feel inferior, if the reason why African Americans are like how they are due to slavery, then why the fuck are vast majorities of the world not like them? We do NOT owe their race anything, we liberated thier race. The cause of why these people are trapped in their shitholes is due to the fact that education sucks, and all the legislation and regulations make it increasingly difficult for the low skilled to get opportunities, couple that with broken families, mass gang warfare, and those with good stable families being so easily sucked into the hell hole gangs it's no wonder they CHOOSE not to give a fuck about no respect, no care for acheivement, and often no hope for getting out of the shit hole's they're from, because everybody in those communities are so down beat and negative they don't see any other way, and when one person does escape, instead of celebrating and being inspired, they become cynical saying it's luck, and then demonising the person who got out. It's ridiculous.

No there is no such thing as 'white privilege' no body has any privilege as nobody deserves anything, people have to work for what they get.

User moderated -RavenXtra

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Dulfite said:

!!!

Thank You. 

How can you two scapegoat slavery 150 years later?

Yes... from a sociology  (joke science) perspective we can absolutely blame culture. There is significantly more external pressure to succeed in suburbia over inner city communities.

However, this is already somewhat offset by the pell grant stacked with state aid. In my state, I actually am at a disadvatage for growing up middle class rather than poor. I had to take out $45,000 in loans WHILE working .75 FTE to get the same job and salary as my "poor" coworkers that got the same diploma and housing, medical and food aid. 

The aid is easy as hell to get. Community colleges don't require a test or even HS grades. Universitys will then skip the HS and test requirements. People get a guarateed second chance if they just use it.

In Sweden we have some of the highest education in the world, some of the healthiest people, far less income inequality and a population that is way more involved in voting in the general elections. So yes, making the rich pay more to make education and healthcare available for all is the recipe for a successful society where everyone get the same opportunity to succeed.

What is you explanation that a disproportionate small amount of black people and women are financially successful compared to white men?

This thread is a good way to show me who to 100% avoid on this site. Thank you, Mr. Trump.

i believe in privilege but i don't really buy into white privilege.

i grew up privileged for sure. my parents were wealthy and i lived in a good neighborhood and had access to good schools. i certainly owe a lot of my current wealth to circumstances of my upbringing. don't get me wrong,.. i worked hard to have what i have but i totally get that i'm lucky to have been able to go to college without having to take out huge loans.

but the asian kids, the latino kids, the black kids from my school. they all did really well too.

blacks are worse off these days but there is a difference between correlation and causation. i don't really believe corporations and college applications have the kind of discriminatory behavior it did 100 years ago today. i think a "good" black kid has just as good a chance to be successful as a "good" white kid.

however, economics and location and family play a huge role in those early years of a child's growth and the economic and location effects of slavery and segregation are still having a negative effect on today's black american which in turn affects family.

so in the end,.. i think the heart of the complaints are valid but i still think the phrase white privilege misplaces the blame. it is, to me, less about white privilege and more about post-slavery repercussions.

PerturbedKitty said:
This thread is a good way to show me who to 100% avoid on this site. Thank you, Mr. Trump.

So much this.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'