By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

I'm just going to say it, anyone who says we need to increase government handouts because of white privilege is simply not educated. This thread is for us to talk about the notion of White privilege that has really been buzzing around in the USA lately.

Many Bernie Sanders fans want to raise taxes and take money from some people to make education free for other people to eliminate the gap between the rich and poor. This will simply not work.

Not only does this take away incentives to work and be a productive citizen, but it also hurts the people getting free education. As more people are being covered by the government, colleges raise prices because there are more consumers in the market thus making everyone in the country poorer. Not only that, but the value of having a degree lessons because if everyone has a degree it means less to have one.

My ex girlfriend and I had this arguement all the time. She recieved free schooling and i have to pay 8,000 a semester not including housing and travel expenses. She said that she deserved to get free school more than me because i was a priviledged white person. Notice how i said ex girlfriend? She support bernie and used to get mad at m and poured a can of coke on my head.

I work and go to school. I have no free time, no student debt. I work hard and get good grades. Anyone can do the same. We don't need additional discrimination against whites in this country. White people, brown people, black people are all capable of achieving if they try! I am a believer of equality.

What is your take on all of this? For the record, this is not meant to be racist I love the Mexicans, Whites, Blacks, Everybody! I just dont like when white people are held to a disadvanted in society.

Around the Network

It's easier to claim you've been oppressed than admit you've failed at something, and now that it's become a popular buzzword, people are all the more likely to do so.

The "white privilege" boogeyman is the perfect scapegoat. Doing this also minimizes actual cases of discrimination and oppression, but people who buy into this hogwash are generally selfish people, and don't care if they're damaging people that actually have been marginalised.

I think you're absolutely, 100%, no-being-mistaken, wrong...

The point of free education is not that the price of tuition goes up and that gets covered by the government, the point is that there IS NO tuition fee. The Universities would be able to get direct funding through the government and standard revenue sources.

This whole thing is also not about being "privileged white", but on the job market, discrimination is still a problem.
The "incentive to work" thing is just bogus. It's a catchphrase made up by the wealthy and powerful to instill the lie that social mobility isn't that hard if you just work for it, that's a lie.

WolfpackN64 said:

The point of free education is not that the price of tuition goes up and that gets covered by the government, the point is that there IS NO tuition fee. The Universities would be able to get direct funding through the government and standard revenue sources.

This whole thing is also not about being "privileged white", but on the job market, discrimination is still a problem.
The "incentive to work" thing is just bogus. It's a catchphrase made up by the wealthy and powerful to instill the lie that social mobility isn't that hard if you just work for it, that's a lie.

Yes, there is discrimination in the workplace - discrimation against white people as companies want to employ minorities for the sake of it.

Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Yes, there is discrimination in the workplace - discrimation against white people as companies want to employ minorities for the sake of it.

You mean how a lot of companies filter out applications from colored workers?

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Any proof of that?

Educating the poor gives them more opportunities to better their lives in many aspects and become more productive, and makes the rich face more competition, so they must better themselves too, so the whole country betters both culturally and economically. And it's not just about productivity, better education of more people means that publishers may sell more books, for example, that the entertainment industry will have to produce a little more deeper contents and a little fewer shallow ones, and so on.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It exists.

Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Any proof of that?

Oh there is plenty. In Belgium, a lot of (of course not all) companies will nearly always pick a white job applicant over a colored one, even if the age and skill levels are equal. Often, these people are shunned in social service work as well (not by the goverment, but by people asking for these services, like people who need household assistance!).

The higher difficulity of getting a job, often combined with a lower schooling grade is not a good mix for social equality. Of course, that's just for one part of the population. Social mobility as a whole is not good here, and in the US, its the exact same thing.

I wish I could pour a can of coke on your head too. SpokenTruth said all. "Those with privilege do not know they have it."