By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

WolfpackN64 said:
Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I think you're absolutely, 100%, no-being-mistaken, wrong...

The point of free education is not that the price of tuition goes up and that gets covered by the government, the point is that there IS NO tuition fee. The Universities would be able to get direct funding through the government and standard revenue sources.

This whole thing is also not about being "privileged white", but on the job market, discrimination is still a problem.
The "incentive to work" thing is just bogus. It's a catchphrase made up by the wealthy and powerful to instill the lie that social mobility isn't that hard if you just work for it, that's a lie.

Yes, there is discrimination in the workplace - discrimation against white people as companies want to employ minorities for the sake of it.

You mean how a lot of companies filter out applications from colored workers?

Yeaaaaaaahhhhh... no.

Thats a federal fine + law suit waiting to happen. Apparently you have NO clue what EEOE is. Its quite the opposite. Minorities specifically get recruited in some cases to meet diversity quotas.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Lawlight said:

Any proof of that?

Oh there is plenty. In Belgium, a lot of (of course not all) companies will nearly always pick a white job applicant over a colored one, even if the age and skill levels are equal. Often, these people are shunned in social service work as well (not by the goverment, but by people asking for these services, like people who need household assistance!).

The higher difficulity of getting a job, often combined with a lower schooling grade is not a good mix for social equality. Of course, that's just for one part of the population. Social mobility as a whole is not good here, and in the US, its the exact same thing.

So, all I get is your personal biased view?

If we look at facts, in the US, white people are underrepresented in big companies like Yahoo, Facebook and Google.

Honestly, the only privileged people are women and black people.

Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Oh there is plenty. In Belgium, a lot of (of course not all) companies will nearly always pick a white job applicant over a colored one, even if the age and skill levels are equal. Often, these people are shunned in social service work as well (not by the goverment, but by people asking for these services, like people who need household assistance!).

The higher difficulity of getting a job, often combined with a lower schooling grade is not a good mix for social equality. Of course, that's just for one part of the population. Social mobility as a whole is not good here, and in the US, its the exact same thing.

If we look at facts, in the US, white people are underrepresented in big companies like Yahoo, Facebook and Google.

Yeah... no

I'm just not going to try to correct your wrong view here.

Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Yahoo, Facebook and google are mostly looking for people in the computer area. And in the computer area most of the developers in any company I have worked so far are indians and chinese. Most software engineer, software developer position are hold by those people. Must HR jobs by white people, managers white people in those type of companies.

You are partially right when you say that sometimes company will hire black or women just to make it look like they don't discriminate. But once that "appearance is being filled up", if they have to pick between the minority vs "white", they will most likely pick the white.

Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Any proof of that?

From the UK but would of course apply in America too.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

There are numerous studies which show your empoyer will look at you more favourably if they percieve you as white. One of the reasons why governments encourage positive discrimination towards minorities.

Around the Network

My only problem with the phrase "white privilege" is that I believe that what I get should be gotten by everybody. I view it as rights that aren't being afforded to everybody, but should be. The word "privilege" implies something that is being granted as something special.

I also believe that the best way to deal with the problem is in a colour-blind way. That is, you construct it to deal with the problems themselves. Those who aren't "white" are more likely to be poor, but that also means that any properly-designed program to help people get out of poverty will help non-white people more simply due to statistics - no need to target the program to deal with black poverty, it'll happen on its own.

Yeah white people don't get called 'thugs' if they get rowdy.

When a white person does a shooting they first blame mental problems instead of terrorism or gang warfare.

Group of white people trashing a street after a football win is called an 'party gone far' instead of 'riot'

White person trying to get into their own car no one bats an eye, black person does and the police is called in an instant.

Black people have been locked out of their house and taken to prison because the police didn't believe they could live where they do.

It's the little things that make 'white privilege' a thing.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I'm not in the US but from what I understand Bernie Sanders' proposal is a tax on dividends on wall st. investments to cover the college costs for EVERYONE attending a public learning institution. not just some specific group of people...

that awkward moment when you realize you've been schooled on domestic politics by a foreigner...

I teach in a 98-99% inner city, low income, African american public school. I am white. Here are some thoughts I have on what I see:

There is a TON of disrespect towards each other, themselves, and adults by the students. When someone in the community (often a former drop out or graduate) dies, instead of being sad about it the students most often treat it as some interesting and exciting news. The value for life in this community is drastically lower in comparison to higher income environments.

The kids, for the vast majority of them, do not care about their grades. No matter how many times we, as adults, try to point out the importance of it, no matter how many times we describe how this could be there way out of this way of life, they just don't care. To them, dropping out or failing doesn't matter (we do have students that do care, but most don't).

There are fights all the time and there are legit gangs (based on streets the students live on around the school). We have had weapons, drugs, sexual activity and we've had the cops in the school and around it when these events go on, chasing down the students that are trying to flee.

When I look at this (and this does connect to the white privilege thing) I start to ask why. I have a history background and teach government in this school. Why do I (and let's just be honest here) see black people doing this stuff so often in these types of environments? It doesn't take long to find the answer. You look at the families and realize the truth. In education, it's common for us teachers to say to each other that we are powerless if the home life isn't aligned with us. If the family has fallen to pieces, then we have no shot at helping these kids most often. When I look at the families of the students I work with, so often is there no dad or grandma is in charge because mom is on drugs or dad is in prison, dead, or was too scared to be a baby dady and ran.

So it's easy to just blame the families, but then I have to think why are they the way they are? I have a good friend, from Nigeria, that I was roommates in college with for a couple years. He NEVER acted like this. He contributed to society. He had a whole and wonderful family and now has a wife and a baby on the way and is living the dream, if you will. He was and is extremely respectful, cares about his future, and cares about life. What makes him, and many other Africans I knew, so different in their morals, values, and educational focus than so many African Americans?

Slavery. When Africans were stripped from Africa and forced to become slaves, we beat them down and made them feel inferior. We took them away from their families and split them all up. There entire race has been basically shut into an insane asylum and then, after a LOOOOONG time, were set free. Did we do anything to help them adjust to this freedom? Did we issue national programs to help them reconnect with their families?

Any race, if given what Africans Americans went through, would degenerate similarly. It isn't their fault and many of them are ignorant to why they are what they are in the first place. We are all subject to conditioning. Their conditioning started hundreds of years ago. As a race, white people totally screwed up the mentality of African Americans through slavery. This is the reason why we are "privileged" and why we owe them until their race is restored to the same playing field as any decent African (intelligent, family focused, and concerned with helping themselves and others have good lives).

sabvre42 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Yeaaaaaaahhhhh... no.

Thats a federal fine + law suit waiting to happen. Apparently you have NO clue what EEOE is. Its quite the opposite. Minorities specifically get recruited in some cases to meet diversity quotas.

To combat racial discrimination and the fact that Jim Crowe's laws were in place just 61 years ago, something which stumped the growth of African American communities and saw them with a lack of education and development resources. No one educated on the matter would tell you that White Privilege doesn't exist. It does, it doesn't mean most white people are thriving or having opportunities thrown at them. It simply means that the system and society has underlying favouritism towards whites. 

Most people regardless of race carry some privilege over someone else, the term is not an attack on anyones being, its simply a reality of your environment.