By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you mind if Nintendo went third-party?

Would you mind?

No, in fact I want them to. 71 28.86%

I'd be fine with it. 60 24.39%

I would. (Explain below). 96 39.02%

See results. 19 7.72%

Total:246
bunchanumbers said:
oniyide said:
bunchanumbers said:

As for Ninty pride, i think some people just need to grow up? Betrayal? You're Wii U is not just gonna self destruct because Ninty went 3rd party that makes no sense. I would imagine that most of the people who have a ninty console already have at least one other machine (PC included) so is it really a big deal? Im gonna say no and chalk it up to a loud forum going minority who would fell betrayed.

You can't be serious. Did you see the reaction to Federation Force? The Nintendo Digital Event for E3? Or the overreaction to everything Smash or almost every other Nintendo IP? Or almost every thing Nintendo? They have a passionate dedicated fanbase. You can't tell me for a second that you think they'd all just smile and accept it.

i never said they would smile and accept it, but there are some things they NEED to accept. What i am saying is that it is vocal MINORITY, they have a fanbase but its not as big as people want to think.

And if going 3rd party is enough to get someone to stop playing Ninty games, then they werent really fans to begin with.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
bunchanumbers said:
oniyide said:
bunchanumbers said:

As for Ninty pride, i think some people just need to grow up? Betrayal? You're Wii U is not just gonna self destruct because Ninty went 3rd party that makes no sense. I would imagine that most of the people who have a ninty console already have at least one other machine (PC included) so is it really a big deal? Im gonna say no and chalk it up to a loud forum going minority who would fell betrayed.

You can't be serious. Did you see the reaction to Federation Force? The Nintendo Digital Event for E3? Or the overreaction to everything Smash or almost every other Nintendo IP? Or almost every thing Nintendo? They have a passionate dedicated fanbase. You can't tell me for a second that you think they'd all just smile and accept it.

i never said they would smile and accept it, but there are some things they NEED to accept. What i am saying is that it is vocal MINORITY, they have a fanbase but its not as big as people want to think.

And if going 3rd party is enough to get someone to stop playing Ninty games, then they werent really fans to begin with.

You can say it however you like, but you'll see countless people saying the same thing the instant Nintendo goes 3rd party.

"I've been a Nintendo fan my whole life..." and almost all of it will be filled with outrage or some statement of them never touching a Nintendo game again. It'll be seen as the ultimate act of betrayal.

I would mind because the industry would lose it's biggest idea factory.

On the one hand; if they stopped making hardware, their software/hardware synergy would not be the same and the games could suffer as a consequence. On the other hand; the last Nintendo console I owned was the N64, so their hardware hasn't exactly blown me away and their software hasn't been compelling enough on its own to make me buy their consoles anyway.
As of the Wii and on towards today; they lost me completely with their direction and I feel like they haven't even made an effort lately, even with their software.

I guess I would both mind and don't mind, but I suppose it would be best for the industry if they remained more independent, gathering all software releases under major conglomerates is not healthy for neither end users nor developers, in the end.

I don't mind at all.

In fact, it would be cool, no need for nintendo hardware anymore.

Around the Network

As a non-Nintendo gamer, the first thing that come to mind is that yes it would be a good decision because they would have a much bigger install to sell on. While this is true, it doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

The reason that Nintendo franchises do so well could be because Nintendo look after and nurture them within a Nintendo environment. Taking them out of the "greenhouse" of Nintendo could do them more damage than good by putting them in a harsher environment but at the same time taking them out and planting them might allow their roots to grow bigger than they ever could in the greenhouse.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes I would mind. People who do not mind should state why as well.

Would you mind if Microsoft or Sony went third party?

I'm sick of these types of threads.
Nintendo is not going third party, why even entertain these stupid thoughts.

1doesnotsimply

Overall, as long as Nintendo continued to pump out high quality and creative games than I wouldn't mind, my main objection is I'm worried that Nintendo would focus on just the select few mega sellers and stop developing some of their smaller, more niche franchises since they no longer have to worry about trying to provide a diverse library to sell their hardware.

Nintendo probably would have never funded big budget projects like Fatal Frame V, Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade X if they were a 3rd party publisher meaning those franchises would likely have died.

Smaller games like Captain Toad, Rainbow Curse, Woolly World probably wouldn't be seen as worth the investment for only a million or so sales.

They probably wouldn't have outsourced spinoffs/crossovers like Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, SMT x Fire Emblem.

I have a feeling it would basically become Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Zelda with very little else.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

oniyide said:
KungKras said:

They would not have more resources because they would lose all the licensing fees from their platforms. Time? Really? The hardware engineers they employ would have more time making software? lol.

thats less time making HW and making games, thats just common sense. There engineers wouldnt be there no more. oh well. Licensing fees? from who? its not like 3rd parties are putting games on there home consoles anyway, so how much are they really losing?

That's ridiculus. There will be more time to make games because they ditched their hardware guys? Get out of here!

Look at the Wii U library. Not many AAA third party games but still lots of lower profile releases. All of which makes Nintendo money.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I would mind because Microsoft and Sony would both demand exclusive console content in games so there be two versions.

I rather they go exclusive on one of the two.