By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - AMD Confirms Nintendo NX 2016 Launch?

Soleron said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Soleron said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
No. No. No. No. Nooooooooo!!! I'm so sick of people on VGChartz using the word confirmed in unconfirmed situations. If it's confirmed, it's confirmed. This is not confirmation. So don't use that word.

This is confirmation that a console from a major vendor is coming 2H 2016.

Who else could it possibly be?

That doesn't make it confirmed...

Do they have to mail one to your house before you say it's confirmed?

Until Nintendo says something, it isn't confirmed.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
This is actually very interesting evidence. I will save it for future reference.
Though people should stop using the word "confirms" so lightly.

.... Ouya 2 confirmed.

That was hadline from YouTube link I post.

Wyrdness said:
mountaindewslave said:

this

even if this is gesturing towards their hypothetical business with Nintendo, just because they are getting paid for the parts could simply mean they're being manufactured, not brought to shelves?

Not 100% sure on how these things go, but we can be fairly certain its not as if they don't get paid for the parts until the items are on shelf haha

Do you really believe Nintendo are going to sit on manufactured chips throughout the second half of the year though, if AMD begin maufacturing then it means the specifications for a very key component in the device is near enough already done, also factor in the rumours from last year from two companies that supply other components for Nintendo it's likely that right now they're refining prototypes of the platform to clear out kinks.

Second half includes months like November and December.  It is entirely possible that it could release in Feb/March 2017 with them still purchasing the chips in the second half of 2016.

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

AMD would have to ship their products before they get paid. They don't get paid when we buy the consoles. This pretty much shows the mass production of NX's will start second half of 2016.

And productaction of consoles usually begins only around 2 months before launch.

So if they get sent Nov - Dec we are still looking at a 2017 release.

ohmylanta1003 said:

Until Nintendo says something, it isn't confirmed.

This is at an earnings call. It's confirmed.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

AMD would have to ship their products before they get paid. They don't get paid when we buy the consoles. This pretty much shows the mass production of NX's will start second half of 2016.

And productaction of consoles usually begins only around 2 months before launch.

Yeah, some people act if there is at least a year between shipping the APUs and shipping the final product.

The profits of the PS4 and Xbox One APUs showed in Q3 2013: http://www.techspot.com/news/54383-amd-turns-a-profit-in-q3-thanks-to-custom-ps4-xbox-one-chips.html

Geez thats some wishful thinking right there.
Even if this was for Nintendo and there is no proof that it is,
Shipping in H2 2016 means somewhere between July-December of 2016 AMD will be shipping the design to the Client.
No product will ship with that design sooner than about a year afterwards, so still a fall 2017 launch. (The PS4s design was delivered back in 2012....)
Also 'just in' NX is 'confirmed' to be less powerful than the PS4 and only support 900p games.

Neodegenerate said:

Second half includes months like November and December.  It is entirely possible that it could release in Feb/March 2017 with them still purchasing the chips in the second half of 2016.

Then ask yourself this when was the last time Nintendo launched Q1? This is even more unlikely when Q4 is their most successful time of year and Q1 is one of their weakest. The last I remember a Q1 launch was when things like WW launches or close to WW launches weren't even around and launches were staggered. They would have been working directly on the NX for close to 2 years now going by what Iwata said back in February 2014.

Wyrdness said:
Neodegenerate said:

Then ask yourself this when was the last time Nintendo launched Q1? This is even more unlikely when Q4 is their most successful time of year and Q1 is one of their weakest. The last I remember a Q1 launch was when things like WW launches or close to WW launches weren't even around and launches were staggered. They would have been working directly on the NX for close to 2 years now going by what Iwata said back in February 2014.

Oh I am in the "it is probably coming q4 2016" camp.  However, this release doesn't confirm that at all.

To your point though, Q1 would be a great release time based on your statement.  Allows them to drum up excitement during a traditionally weak period.  Especially after a weak gen with the Wii U.

Neodegenerate said:
Wyrdness said:

Do you really believe Nintendo are going to sit on manufactured chips throughout the second half of the year though, if AMD begin maufacturing then it means the specifications for a very key component in the device is near enough already done, also factor in the rumours from last year from two companies that supply other components for Nintendo it's likely that right now they're refining prototypes of the platform to clear out kinks.

I really doubt Nintendo would miss holiday season with new platform.