Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be OK with Nintendo killing the Wii U so early?

Are you ok with killing the Wii U so early?

Yes 320 53.60%

No 277 46.40%

Total:597

Its not that people want the Wii U dead its that we want more games.

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Four years still feels like too little. That's what happened with the Saturn/Dreamcast transition, and why consumers fell out of love with Sega. Do you want that to happen with Nintendo?

Is there a reason that u are ignoring the Master System, Gameboy Advance & Xbox which all had 4 years or less and had successors go on to being each companies biggest success ever?

Also the Dreamcast had a record launch and was discontinued only because of Sega's financial situation which caused them to no longer have the money to support it.

Yes, there is; No Nintendo CONSOLE had only 4 years before it's successor. Just becaus it worked with the Genesis, DS and Xbox 360 doesn't mean it can happen a fourth time. Nintendo wouldn't have that kind of luck. -_-

The thing you are missing is that it's irrelevant if the timespan is 4, 5 or 6 years. You act as if it's a hindrance when the real factors that determine a console's success are price, games, marketing...

AEGRO said:

What half gens?

You guys got 6 years last time for the Wii. Every other Nintendo console has gotten 5 years. This one is 4. 

A half generation is 2.5 years of support. 

If anything this just evens out the Wii being a year longer than it should have been. 

And long generations aren't that great either, it means you are stuck playing games on outdated technology for longer. The industry isn't a bunch of 10-year-old boys any longer that needs mommy/daddy to buy them every new console, a lot of people would be willing to embrace a different model IMO. 

Nintendo game experiences have always gotten better with better hardware unless you're going to sit there with a straight face and say Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 and so on would have been better on the original Wii. So why be afraid of something that's ultimately good for the player? 

The Wii was a 0.5 gen because it was a beefed up Gamecube regardless of the time of its release.

Im not one of the "you guys" as i said, i dont own a Wii U.

It doesnt even anything, the consumer doesnt have to be complacent to Nintendo. They are the ones who HAVE to support the console while it still alive.

AAA games take longer than before to develop, you cant compare the scope of games like Uncharted 4 with other A or even AA games. Proper AAA games take from 3 to 5 years to develop. That means that small studios will release one game per gen, does that make sense for you?

Its funny how people cry and moan because with each passing generation the changes are less and less evident. If you pretend that the Ps5 will looke leagues better than the Ps4, well...guess again. It wont. You better buy a PC, and even then multiplats are held down by consoles. 

As i said, Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 couldnt be possible on the Wii because (common sense) the console was a beefed up Gamecube. That means that you were stuck on the 6th gen for a decade where all the consoles jumped to HD. Same case with the Wii U, it is a beefed up Ps3.

That is what i mean with a 0.5 gen. 

Why settle with a company that treats its users like shit? THAT is the question.

The wii is a 7th gen console and the wii u isn't a beefed up ps3. Sure, you can THINK that, but it's factually wrong.

Thunderbird77 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Four years still feels like too little. That's what happened with the Saturn/Dreamcast transition, and why consumers fell out of love with Sega. Do you want that to happen with Nintendo?

Is there a reason that u are ignoring the Master System, Gameboy Advance & Xbox which all had 4 years or less and had successors go on to being each companies biggest success ever?

Also the Dreamcast had a record launch and was discontinued only because of Sega's financial situation which caused them to no longer have the money to support it.

Yes, there is; No Nintendo CONSOLE had only 4 years before it's successor. Just becaus it worked with the Genesis, DS and Xbox 360 doesn't mean it can happen a fourth time. Nintendo wouldn't have that kind of luck. -_-

The thing you are missing is that it's irrelevant if the timespan is 4, 5 or 6 years. You act as if it's a hindrance when the real factors that determine a console's success are price, games, marketing...

Well we both should know another reason why they can't kill the Wii U early; It's top-selling games. Mario Kart 8 has sold over 6.5 million units, Smash for Wii U has passed 4.5 million, and of course Splatoon and it's highly active online community. Need I add Super Mario Maker?

CaptainExplosion said:
Thunderbird77 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well we both should know another reason why they can't kill the Wii U early; It's top-selling games. Mario Kart 8 has sold over 6.5 million units, Smash for Wii U has passed 4.5 million, and of course Splatoon and it's highly active online community. Need I add Super Mario Maker?

Backwards compatability would keep the online going and potentially grow the online community so don't see that been a reason for killing the Wii U early.

Around the Network

Yeah, I would be okay with it, though the transition would be smoother if the new console was backwards-compatible.

Magnus said:
Soundwave said:

What half gens?

You guys got 6 years last time for the Wii. Every other Nintendo console has gotten 5 years. This one is 4. 

A half generation is 2.5 years of support. 

If anything this just evens out the Wii being a year longer than it should have been. 

And long generations aren't that great either, it means you are stuck playing games on outdated technology for longer. The industry isn't a bunch of 10-year-old boys any longer that needs mommy/daddy to buy them every new console, a lot of people would be willing to embrace a different model IMO. 

Nintendo game experiences have always gotten better with better hardware unless you're going to sit there with a straight face and say Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 and so on would have been better on the original Wii. So why be afraid of something that's ultimately good for the player? 

This generation looks like it will be a long one, so 4 years is pretty much half a generation.

Soundwave is right, home consoles are mainly bought by gamers not so much by parents as these days they rather their kids play mobile free games. note that i am not saying ALL parents are cruel bastards and some still do buy consoles.

Honestly i rather see the industry go in one of these two directions.

1) Hardware cycle of 4 years max; or

2) 8 year cycles but have like $800 consoles, since we adults can afford them and it would provide a significant increase over the previous gen. Hell peopel upgade their iphones every 6 to 12months, si I can't see why a quality system cannot be justified at a higher price now.

As for a long generation, I doubt it. The reason for this is simple, PS4 as cool as it is, I do feel dissapointed by it from what is is compared to my PS3. I feel like the PS4 is an enhanced PS3 that fixed small issues the PS3 had in terms of gaming but took away some of the media functions that I enjoyed on the PS3.

Pavolink said:

Yes. I will be more than OK if this mean the ending of a generation that lacks ambition and games nobody asked for.

But how do you know they won't carry these bad habits to NX as well?

Make Retro do Diddy Kong Racing 2 or some other unneeded game, another toon Zelda, etc.

A new system is no guarantee that Nintendo will change their ways.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I have no problems with it so long as NX is worth it. Im a day one console buyer so my personal preference is for all resources to be moved over to the new system. However, I think for late adopters it would be great to see Nintendo still support the wiiu with some cross gen ports.

Soundwave said:

Nintendo's Gamecube output was a big step down from their N64 and SNES output despite the leap in hardware power.

I'd even argue their Wii U output has been worse than their Wii output, personally.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.