By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be OK with Nintendo killing the Wii U so early?

Are you ok with killing the Wii U so early?

Yes 320 53.60%

No 277 46.40%

Total:597

Obviously there were a lot of expections that were not met, such as Mario Strikers, Animal Crossing, and so ons, but overall I'm still pretty satisfied with the Wii U, and like anyone who's been paying attention, I've been expecting it to get replaced sooner rather than later anyway. I don't buy systems at launch so NX releasing this year wouldn't even affect me.

Around the Network

I don't think the NX is 2016, doesn't make sense... I would be all for it though, always nice with new hardware!

Well, the typical lifespan for a console is about 5 years. SNES, N64, and Gamecube all had lives that long in America and Europe (SNES had an extra year in Japan). At 4 years, the Wii U's lifespan wouldn't be cut off THAT early. And given the system has received mainline entries from virtually every major Nintendo franchise, bar Animal Crossing and Metroid, I'd say four years, after the release of the new Zelda, is a good place to end it. Especially given its failure to sell all that well. Even Gamecube lasted 5 years, but I believe even the Gamecube has sold better.

If Nintendo can get a console that competes reasonably from a power perspective 3 years into the lifespan of PS4 and One, they might stand a chance of attracting third parties and core gamers outside of the Nintendo crowd. They unfortunately squandered what the Wii did for them with more casually minded gamers, so that seems like the route to go if their going to start rebuilding their market share.

Honestly, the only stuff that would really worry me would be that it would be years before we received new entries into Smash Bros and Zelda on the console. Personally, I'd like to see them port Smash 4 to the NX, with some new modes and characters, rather than starting the whole game from scratch. Produce a proper adventure mode, add a few more fan favorites, bring back the Ice Climbers. Hell, they could potentially make some of this stuff available to the other versions as DLC if need be (aside from Ice Climbers, I guess). I don't really think we NEED another Smash after 4, but the NX will obviously need one. So why not?

I think it's too early but I'm ok with it. 4 years is almost the common lifespan for a Nintendo console and next hardware is gonna be pretty decent. I haven't played everything I wanted on WiiU yet but I know Nintendo needs to go on, indeed!

I like my Wii U, it has some great games and is fun to play solo and with friends, BUT Nintendo need to kill it off soon.

They need to bring back the mainstream market and that means full 3rd party support, online features, high end performance, etc.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network

How the fuck can you find such justifications? Name at least one console (nothing obscure) that was handled so disrespectfully?

Ex Graphics Whore.

As a happy Wii-U owner I wouldn't mind it one bit.

except a few drama queens I don't think anyone really oppose it.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

People kept saying console gen should at last only 5 years. Nintendo killing Wii U in almost 4 years is not really that bad.

Edit: wrong thread

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
TimCliveroller said:
How the fuck can you find such justifications? Name at least one console (nothing obscure) that was handled so disrespectfully?

You mean justifications to be okay with an end after four years?

It's simple, really. The Wii U is home to some of the best games of this generation and the system didn't need three years to have a somewhat acceptable library of exclusives.

I forgot that 3rd party games dont exist and everyone has a gaming rig by defult. My bad.