By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be OK with Nintendo killing the Wii U so early?

Are you ok with killing the Wii U so early?

Yes 320 53.60%

No 277 46.40%

Total:597
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo game experiences have always gotten better with better hardware unless you're going to sit there with a straight face and say Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 and so on would have been better on the original Wii. So why be afraid of something that's ultimately good for the player? 

Nintendo's Gamecube output was a big step down from their N64 and SNES output despite the leap in hardware power.

I'd even argue their Wii U output has been worse than their Wii output, personally.

how so? damn near every game that appeared on WIi has gotten a follow up on Wii U and it was a better version. With the exception of 3d world but thats apples and oranges anyway IMHO

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
midrange said:
curl-6 said:
midrange said:

Framerate is definitely big. Playing mario kart 8 at 60 fps with more than 2 people would be great. Playing xenoblade X at 60 fps would be phenomenal. Same for third party games.

In these instances, I think developer priorities were more the deciding factors than hardware power.

On PS4 spec hardware, Monolith probably still would have run XCX at 30fps, just probably at 1080p with less aggressive LOD and better textures/shaders.

Both could have been 60fps on Wii U if the devs had made it a priority, but they opted for 30fps instead. These priorities would likely remain the same even with more capable hardware.

It is up to the developer, but I actually think Nintendo would strive for 60 fps on mario kart. They seem to really be focused on 60 fps on every other game (compromising frame rate in certain situations), which leads me to believe that we wouldn't have these frame-rate compromises if Nintendo had stronger tech work with.

Even on Wii U they could have made 3-4 player splitscreen 60fps if they'd cut back on the visual fidelity. You're right that they clearly place a lot of value on 60fps, as they shoot for it in most of their games, but they are also some cases where they choose 30fps; not just in Mario Kart's 3-4 player mode, but also in Splatoon's Gamepad-TV splitscreen multiplayer and plaza, and in Pikmin 3. 

As a sucker for 60fps myself I'd like to see them tone down the eye candy to get 3-4 players running in 60fps, but it just smacks of more a design choice than a hardware limitation to me, given that there are games on weaker hardware that can do 3-4 player splitscreen at 60fps. (E.g. Double Dash on Gamecube)

I guess we won't know until Mario Kart 9 arrives.

This will probably be the thing that decides this whole debate, so might as well wait!

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo game experiences have always gotten better with better hardware unless you're going to sit there with a straight face and say Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 and so on would have been better on the original Wii. So why be afraid of something that's ultimately good for the player? 

Nintendo's Gamecube output was a big step down from their N64 and SNES output despite the leap in hardware power.

I'd even argue their Wii U output has been worse than their Wii output, personally.

how so? damn near every game that appeared on WIi has gotten a follow up on Wii U and it was a better version. With the exception of 3d world but thats apples and oranges anyway IMHO

Galaxy 1 & 2 > 3D World

Xenoblade > Xenoblade X

Metroid Prime 3 > Tropical Freeze (Not the same series, but both by Retro Studios)

Kirby's Epic Yarn > Yoshi's Woolly World

Kirby's Return to Dreamland > Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Wii Sports > Nintendoland

All IMHO, obviously.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

Galaxy 1 & 2 > 3D World

Xenoblade > Xenoblade X

Metroid Prime 3 > Tropical Freeze (Not the same series, but both by Retro Studios)

All IMHO, obviously.

with all due respect your comparisons make little sense. 

As far as im concerned there are 3 types of Mario platformers. 2d 3d and this newer hybrid. I think they play differently enough that its hard to compare, but you know what. Ill give it to you, because i do think Galaxy is better than 3d world (even though i had more fun with the latter)

having never played the new one i can only take your word that chronicles is better than X but you are like one of the very few who have stated that.

This isnt even a comparison. Makes no sense. How about compare Returns to TF?

ill take your word for it, they both look meh and they are different series.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland yeah. i agree on that.

Smash for Wii U>Brawl(the worse in the series), TP for GC>Wii version, Mario Kart 8> Wii, NSMBWiiU>NSMBWii, Nintendoland>WiiSports most of the games on the former were actually good.

I'm not a mindless slave, so of course I would find it to be an affront.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

Galaxy 1 & 2 > 3D World

Xenoblade > Xenoblade X

All IMHO, obviously.

As far as im concerned there are 3 types of Mario platformers. 2d 3d and this newer hybrid. I think they play differently enough that its hard to compare, but you know what. Ill give it to you, because i do think Galaxy is better than 3d world (even though i had more fun with the latter)

having never played the new one i can only take your word that chronicles is better than X but you are like one of the very few who have stated that.

Smash for Wii U>Brawl(the worse in the series), TP for GC>Wii version, Mario Kart 8> Wii, NSMBWiiU>NSMBWii, Nintendoland>WiiSports most of the games on the former were actually good.

The Retro and Good Feel comparisons are comparison of studio output, not series. Yeah Tropical Freeze is slightly better than Returns, but Retro provided an even better game on Wii in Prime 3.

I actually think the Wii version of Twilight Princess is better than the GC because of the pointer aiming, while Nintendoland never wowed me the way Wii Sport and Resort did.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

Galaxy 1 & 2 > 3D World

Xenoblade > Xenoblade X

All IMHO, obviously.

And don't forget

Exclusive Zelda > Crap port of Zelda NX

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

Galaxy 1 & 2 > 3D World

Xenoblade > Xenoblade X

All IMHO, obviously.

The Retro and Good Feel comparisons are comparison of studio output, not series. Yeah Tropical Freeze is slightly better than Returns, but Retro provided an even better game on Wii in Prime 3.

I actually think the Wii version of Twilight Princess is better than the GC because of the pointer aiming, while Nintendoland never wowed me the way Wii Sport and Resort did.

when you put it that way that makes more sense. I was never a big Metroid guy so DK TF was welcome but i know im in the minority there.

I thought those wii controls sucked, it really felt as if they were tacked on and not made for that game. Where as Skyward Sword did feel more harmonious. We were all wowed by it but after some time they, especially the originals are kinda hollow experiences, no depth really. Nintendoland fared better in this regard IMHO

oniyide said:

when you put it that way that makes more sense. I was never a big Metroid guy so DK TF was welcome but i know im in the minority there.

I thought those wii controls sucked, it really felt as if they were tacked on and not made for that game. Where as Skyward Sword did feel more harmonious. We were all wowed by it but after some time they, especially the originals are kinda hollow experiences, no depth really. Nintendoland fared better in this regard IMHO

Even going back and playing them today, I still find Kendo, Bowling, and Archery in Wii Sports Resort more fun than Nintendoland's minigames.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

Even going back and playing them today, I still find Kendo, Bowling, and Archery in Wii Sports Resort more fun than Nintendoland's minigames.

well Resort was good. a big step up from the original.