By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's November 21st 2016. The NX is out and more powerful than the PS4. Are 3rd parties on board?

3rd party multiplats

Support the NX 224 41.87%

Ignore the NX 311 58.13%

Total:535

Third party flowchart

Is developing for the NX the most efficient way to make money?

Yes --> Develop for the NX
No --> Don't develop for the NX

Around the Network

I saw next assassins creed (based in Egypt) won't be coming to NX. It mentions whatever Nintendo is making. Third parties aren't coming to Nintendo because they damaged it with Wii U.

My guess is usually very wrong. Like a true agrippa pachter you can always trust my prediction as confirmation of the opposite. My gut tells me that 3rd parties will stay far far away.

I think the biggest concern would be the possibility of it being a dreamcast. Jumping the gun on a release could be dangerous. The nx could be a great console with now issues, but if it launches against a ps4, it might get killed. Lets say Nov. 21 is the release date, the ps4 will probably be at 50-55 million and the xbox one is probably at 25, not many devs will role the dice and start developing for a new and unproven platform when they already have two well performing consoles. So in my opinion, it will have to come down to if nintendo can make good exclusives at its launch. If exclusives can harness interest, and people start buying the nx, it would prove that there is interest in the console, if not, it could die really fast. I'm not sure how the nx will do if it launches next year, but my guess is that will perform moderately well.

-Third parties want to make money.

-Third parties make money by selling games.

-Nintendo console buyers have proven that they generally speaking don't buy 3rd party games.

= Low third party support.

It might get CoD, Fifa and Assassin's Creed (and the odd port), but it won't get games like The Witcher, Batman, y'know, the not-Cod-Fifa-or-Assassin's-Creed games.

Unless Nintendo devotes time *and* money to convince 3rd parties to stick with their platform for a long enough to build up a fanbase for 3rd party games, then I don't realistically see the NX getting good third party support, hardly on the level the XBO and the PS4 gets. The market for 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles is generally just not there.

Around the Network

A very important factor are licensing fees. As far as I know, we never got true numbers from anyone regarding just how much money Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo take from third parties to release games on their systems. However, Minecraft being 10 $ more expensive on Wii U is a strong indicator that Nintendo wants more money from third parties. I don't believe for a second that something like this happens just because third parties don't like Nintendo or that EA isn't releasing games for the machine because they hate Nintendo. Think about it, EA for crying out loud! They love money, they would sell their own mother for it! If Nintendo wants third parties, they have to cut down their licensing fees. It minimizes the risk for third parties.

Also they will have to actively make deals with 3rd parties, staying passive isn't enough. The power of the machine doesn't matter so much, as long as it's x86 ports would be simple enough. So, because I don't have any idea about the actual licensing fees, I'm purely speculating and just can't say if 3rd parties will flock onto NX or not.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Imho Nintendo can save money making a more affordable device with only 500gigs IF they keep the phisical games on the cartridge/disk, even if third party want to go down the download route they would have a lot of space, especially knowing how compacted the games from Nintendo are and how few patches are released by them...

I think Third parties will want to test the waters (especially if Nintendo gives them a gimmick that looks promising), I can see Ubisoft beeing more careful and releasing less games at the beginning while Activision keeps up the Skylanders games, speaking of Activision IF the device has those wheel-triggers then I can see them making a GOOD port of the latest CoD game. EA will release FIFA/Madden but it'll worse than the One/PS4 version since they are terrible at porting :v

There will be a huge difference between regions. Eastern developers will have to work on the NX, because by the time it comes out, it will have vitually no competition on the handheld market. The Vita will still be around, but at this point its games will go to the NX, so all handheld gamers will chose the newer and hopefully more powerful NX. Big console releases will arrive too, although slowly, to test the waters.

Western developers have really no reason to support the NX, they get enough profits on the PS4/XBone/PC, and adding another platform to develop for might not be finantially sound. Expect lazy ports and the usual Skylanders, Just Dance, Lego... If you could play the console games seamlessly on the handheld part, that might attract them more, but not by much. The NX architecture must be very easy to port games, or it will have no relevant western support.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

if that happen, i will cancel my plan to buy wii u.

It's November 21st, 2016 and the NX hasn't launched. So...