Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo means bad news for 3rd parties!

robjoh said:

That is something I actually don't want to happen. I am hopping for more exclusive games for Wii that really uses the Wiimote, games like that would be really bad on non-wiimote hardware  

I agree with you, I was thinking primarily of Multiplatform FPS because I anticipate the standard Wiimote-Nunchuck set-up will be possible to translate to control pads in a similar fashion to how Keyboard-Mouse is mapped to gamepads.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
robjoh said:

That is something I actually don't want to happen. I am hopping for more exclusive games for Wii that really uses the Wiimote, games like that would be really bad on non-wiimote hardware  

I agree with you, I was thinking primarily of Multiplatform FPS because I anticipate the standard Wiimote-Nunchuck set-up will be possible to translate to control pads in a similar fashion to how Keyboard-Mouse is mapped to gamepads.

True, but Red Steel on xbox360 wouldn't have worked that well I think.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

It doesn't matter what developers want to develop for. They'll develop for what their publishers tell them to. Publishers don't care how powerful a system is, they want their biggest properties on the biggest console. Many of these major franchises we see going PS3/360 are going to become irrelevant this gen. Just watch. One major franchise after another is going to have dissappointing sales on those systems. They simply cannot sell as much as they did last gen on more expensive systems while Wii and DS are the talk of the gaming world. Meanwhile a whole stack of Nintendo-published games will rewrite the top 10 all-time worldwide software shipments list on this site. Third parties can either develop for Wii and DS, or be marginalized on marginalized systems. They can try to be a biggest fish in a little pond, or they can try to be the second biggest fish in a much bigger pond. Does it surprise anyone that the developers who came to Nintendo's party are the ones not mentioned as threatened by Wii? Ubisoft performed well on Wii, Sega has too, Majesco may be turning the whole company around on the back of Cooking Mama, SquareEnix is turning every random FF and DQ spin-off or remake they spit onto DS into a million seller. Even Microsoft can only get a hit out of Rare by releasing it on DS. Developers WILL fold this generation if they don't focus on Nintendo's platforms. There will be third party publishers selling off their properties, declaring bankruptcy and closing their doors if they don't get on board Wii and DS. Nintendo has the power to fuel those systems to a high level of success themselves, and the competing systems are built for failure regardless of software support due to price.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

akuma587 said:
robjoh said:
akuma587 said:
I don't agree with what Christopher_G2 said completely, but they are working with last gen technology that has already been around the block a few times.

What exactly doesn't you agree with?

Bad English.  Lol, don't take that personally, I just happen to be an English major.  But seriously n00b brought up a good point.  A developer wanting to earn his stripes will not be very excited when he is stuck working with a system that is literally only as powerful as a last-gen system.  He might think he is being punished.

Are you being serious here?  Why would any developer feel like they was being punished to work on any specific hardware.  Lets be realistic here, in general code is code, it doesn't matter what hardware you are programming for or what language.  

Personally, I would say that a really talented developer is one who can make amazing things happen KNOWING that they have less powerful hardware to work with.  That means you have to have cleaner, more efficient code.  You need to have better optimization.  You need to be a BETTER programmer than one who is developing for a more powerful machine because you don't have extra resources to throw around.

You also have to take into account the ease of development between two platforms.  Why, as a pro software developer myself, would I be happy to work with complicated hardware with a bad SDK and poor support (such as the PS3 seems to have) and feel punished to work with a much simpler, easier to use and well supported one (such as the Wii).  If developers wanted powerful and complicated development, we'd have stuck with assembly.

In my opinion, the reverse of what you say is true.  If I wanted to show how good a developer I was, I'd want to be working with easy to use hardware, on an exciting project with much more stringent resources so I could prove I had the skillz to make a great game that looked good and ran well.  The only people that would feel punished by working on less powerful hardware are the ones who have something to hide because they aren't good enough programmers to handle it.

Erik Aston said:
Just watch. One major franchise after another is going to have dissappointing sales on those systems. They simply cannot sell as much as they did last gen on more expensive systems while Wii and DS are the talk of the gaming world. Meanwhile a whole stack of Nintendo-published games will rewrite the top 10 all-time worldwide software shipments list on this site. Third parties can either develop for Wii and DS, or be marginalized on marginalized systems.

I wouldn't yet declare game over just yet for the 360 (the PS3 is very close to being another matter) but I do agree that this year's crop of major non-Wii games will be make or break for the HD systems.  There are a lot of major games hitting the 360 this fall but can a system with only 10-12 million users support all of them?  Is it possible for that small of a base to support so many 3rd parties especially with MS reinvigorating its 1st party line up?  I'll certainly be watching.

Around the Network

psmcx: Your argument is stupid to begin with, because, had you not be blinded by stupid fanboyism, you would have seen that the article blame all 1st parties. That means Nintendo, but also MS and Sony. Read the article again, instead of saying nonsense like 3rd parties should go to PS3 or XB360 alone. By the article's own admission, they would be meeting their death by doing that. They deserve it anyway, with their ego trip: you can produce only so many AAA $30M games after all, unless you're one of the big boys.

It's possible we may see something similar to THQ's strategy from some publishers: more games overall, the blockbusters reserved for 360/PS3, and expectations of similar revenues but less sales per title. By making the hardware retarded, Nintendo sealed its own fate. It may get FF or MGS, but it won't get the main versions. The problem with focusing on Nintendo's platforms is that they're marginalized even more by Nintendo than they ever would be by developing for the current market leader (not Nintendo) and/or the previous market leader (not Nintendo).

Serves them right for making those stupid Disney games. Damn it I hate those Disney games. A movie comes out, and a crappy Disney game of that movie comes out. And they always get the worst reviews. Then people who try to collect all of the games for one system has to buy those stupid Disney games. 95% of the games out there are utter crap. I feel really bad for collectors.

Shane said:
By making the hardware retarded, Nintendo sealed its own fate.

Yeah, they must be really upset with record amounts of money rolling in.  I bet shareholders are demanding Iwata's head everyday for that fate.  If 3rd parties want to be retarded and not join in the Wii then it's their own fate not Nintendo's that is being sealed.  I seriously doubt the 360 will be able to support every 3rd party's AAA mega title on its own.  Time will tell, we'll see this autumn if the 360 can support a lesser amount.

Shane said:
It's possible we may see something similar to THQ's strategy from some publishers: more games overall, the blockbusters reserved for 360/PS3, and expectations of similar revenues but less sales per title. By making the hardware retarded, Nintendo sealed its own fate. It may get FF or MGS, but it won't get the main versions. The problem with focusing on Nintendo's platforms is that they're marginalized even more by Nintendo than they ever would be by developing for the current market leader (not Nintendo) and/or the previous market leader (not Nintendo).

Ever thought of joining Pachter and do analysis and predictions for the videogame industry?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club