By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo means bad news for 3rd parties!

I don't agree with what Christopher_G2 said completely, but they are working with last gen technology that has already been around the block a few times.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
fishamaphone said:
n00b said:

Big developers would be wasting resources putting their A teams on Wii projects. It's just too weak, they can farm that crap out to interns. Developing for the Wii seriously limits their potential to grow as good developers.

OK, you're just trolling now, aren't you.  Please tell me you're trolling.  "developing for Wii seriously limits their potential to grow as good developers."  That's worse than  Kutaragi quote.  Seriously, care to explain?

This is something I want to get an answer for also. Say what you want but Nintendo does have some of the best devlopers in the world and they doesn't seems to be limited by the "crappy hardware" in the DS nor the Wii.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

akuma587 said:
I don't agree with what Christopher_G2 said completely, but they are working with last gen technology that has already been around the block a few times.

What exactly doesn't you agree with?

fishamaphone said:
n00b said:

Where the **** have you been?

Israel. Sorry, the console market here's a bit lean, so you're forced to pick-and-choose. Honestly, I've never even seen the game on shelves. I saw "movie tie-in," I assumed "shovelware." Sorry, that was my mistake.

S'okay, I was just a bit annoyed by the post because I was psyched to hear about the sequel being done by the same developers. The original was great, both Xbox and PC versions.

As far as the other thing, I'm just saying, you're a coder wanting to earn your stripes, don't you think you'd rather cut your teeth on the latest and greatest hardware instead of still mucking about with a slight improvement over last gen's hardware?

Anyway, time to punch out and go have fun tonight, take care. No hard feelings despite the Riddick slam earlier. Shalom!

TalonMan said:
n00b said:
No, it won't change. Developers have had plenty of time to observe the Wii and the kind of people who want it, and they're still shunning the Wii. Another good announcement today, with the upcoming Chronicles of Riddick to be on the 360 and PS3. The Wii is just too weak to attract the heavy hitters. It'll get the Nintendo games, a handful of decent multiplatform games, and a tremendous amount of totally crap shovelware.

Yeah - all one year of observation... ...I'm surprised they haven't been able to come up with some really great games in all that time that they've had!!!! :|

...and figure, right up till launch there were still MANY developers that were skeptical of the Wii and how successful it would be - those people are just coming around now. What exactly were you expecting???

And, even if you happen to be right, and the Wii continues to receive a 'tremendous amount of totally crap shovelware', then developers (and publishers) will have nobody to blame but themselves as they continue to post lower than expected profits as their shovelware sits on shelves with nobody buying. They won't be able to hang onto that crutch 'It's all Nintendo's fault we can't compete with them!!' line, because it'll be their fault for pushing out crap games...

Nah, I don't expect any new Wii games to come out tomorrow, as you said, they can't be developed over night. But these companies could be making *announcements* about future games by now, say what's coming in the future and get the fans excited, ya know?

Do you think any big games will ever be cancelled on the 360 and have development instead moved over to the Wii? I don't see it.

Around the Network
n00b said:

As far as the other thing, I'm just saying, you're a coder wanting to earn your stripes, don't you think you'd rather cut your teeth on the latest and greatest hardware instead of still mucking about with a slight improvement over last gen's hardware?

Actually not, but then I am an optimise bastard that lows to find "hidden" power. And I have some serious ideas what you could do with the Wiimote.

robjoh said:
akuma587 said:

What exactly doesn't you agree with?

Bad English.  Lol, don't take that personally, I just happen to be an English major.  But seriously n00b brought up a good point.  A developer wanting to earn his stripes will not be very excited when he is stuck working with a system that is literally only as powerful as a last-gen system.  He might think he is being punished.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

n00b said:

Nah, I don't expect any new Wii games to come out tomorrow, as you said, they can't be developed over night. But these companies could be making *announcements* about future games by now, say what's coming in the future and get the fans excited, ya know?

Do you think any big games will ever be cancelled on the 360 and have development instead moved over to the Wii? I don't see it.

For the Wii announced after the launch:

Rygar, Nights, Playground, MySims (I think?), Boogie, Manhunt 2, Deweys Advanture, Soul Calibur legends. Have I missed something?

And no I dont think xbox360 wont get games, but I don't see the big publisher ignoring the Wii userbase for to long either.

Why do you hope those companies suffer? I view it as them keeping some integrity. They could dumb the game down so that it'll run on the Wii and collect money from a bunch of suckers who buy it. Instead they're gonna keep it on the systems that can properly showcase their art.
It's like this...they WILL NOT have to dumb the game down on the Wii. All of the gameplay can stay intact. Just look at CoD 3. Ended up on all three systems and they were virtually identical except for the graphics. As a programmer, having lower graphic specs doesn't change the game. Does playing games on a PC with effects and visual quality turned down ruin the game? If it did, then a lot of PC games wouldn't have been hits (Quake, Doom, Unreal, Counterstrike, etc.). Granted, you lose some visual quality on low spec'd machines, but the gameplay is the same. Also, as a programmer, you always want to start on lower spec'd hardware. Easier to learn. As you get better then you can move up to more complicated systems. Of course, that doesn't make the hardware better or worse, it's just a different experience. Good programmers make do with what they have. I never believe that something can't be done on lower spec'd hardware. We've seen it done too many times by talented programmers and designers. -Darkness

For some perspective: Namco Bandai has released the best selling game for the PS3 in Japan, Gundam Musou. They were expecting at least 500,000 sold. They didn't get it. Namco Bandai is a huge supporter for the PS3. This is what they had to say about developing for the PS3. http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/12/01/namco-bandai-has-to-sell-half-a-million-copies-of-a-ps3-game-before-earning-money.htm "Namco Bandai, who are Japan’s second-biggest maker of video games, must sell at least half a million copies of a game for Sony’s PS3 to make a profit on the title, said President Takeo Takasu ... Graphics for the high-definition games cost about 1 billion yen ($8.6 million) to create, more than double that for Nintendo’s Wii titles, Takasu said in a Tokyo interview with Bloomberg from November 28." Due to disappointing sales, they had to change up development cycles to support the Wii more heavily. http://www.psu.com/node/10724 "Namco-Bandai also announced that they plan to release 23 PlayStation 3 titles in the 2008 fiscal year. The Xbox 360 will see one more at 24, with the Nintendo Wii receiving a massive 37 titles." 3rd parties will not ignore the success of the Wii, nor it's easy development, nor it's cheap development, nor it's potentially easy and healthy profits. Nintendo is here to help ;)