Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo means bad news for 3rd parties!

Christopher_G2 said:
It's really up to third parties to put their A teams on projects for the Wii and DS. If they're banking on the 360, PS3, and PSP than they're seriously limiting their potential to grow as companies. Like it or not, Nintendo is probably going to own the industry practically for the next few years, expecially as far as Japan and most of Europe. Theoretically if third parties joined hands and did give up Nintendo would only make more money as their games would sell to people without third party options. People aren't buying Nintendo systems for third party games, but if there are good ones there they'll buy them once they have it.

Big developers would be wasting resources putting their A teams on Wii projects. It's just too weak, they can farm that crap out to interns. Developing for the Wii seriously limits their potential to grow as good developers.



Around the Network

Looking at Japan I would say that it is pretty obvious that the succes of the DS and mayby Wii later, is a good thing. The total software sales per week as increased a lot. So far for 2007 we have total software sales 27 millions. For 2006 the total software sales was 68 millions. For 2005, 2004 and 2003 the total software sales was around 37 millions. http://vgchartz.com/japyearly.php?year=2003 Nintendo obvious took a big part of the extra sales but there is still more room for 3rd parties. Most of this growth is because of the DS but if the Wii can seems to get better and better sales for each month. Now it is all up to 3rd parties, will they make some good games? Obvious the crap they are realising now isn't selling but the question is first answered when the good games arrives. If DQS doesn't sell in Japan we can state that 3rd party is in trouble. So far their isn't much out there that I, if I was a Wii owner, would pay for from 3rd parties (I would pay for Red Steel and Rayman). Upcoming it looks brighter but all the showelware seems to me to be crap!



 

 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

n00b said:
fishamaphone said:
N00b, are you telling me that missing out on what will probably be a crappy tie-in shovelware game is a bad thing?

What are you talking about? I already pointed out that the Wii will practically be drowning in crappy shovelware. Missing out on what?


Yes, yes, and then you said that Chronicles of Riddick was announced PS3/360.  My point was, you're criticising Wii for having shovelware, but then you're pointing to a shovelware game going to the *other* systems* as a negative thing.

Something can't be bad for Nintendo at the same time as it's good for the other consoles... shovelware is shovelware.  It's bad no matter what console it ends up on.



Avinash_Tyagi said:
n00b said:
TalonMan said:
ckmlb said:

The so called big flood of huge 3rd party games to Wii still hasn't come even though it's clear that it is selling more than the other two consoles now, anyone wonder why that is?

I mean all the new games announced are small quick cash ins that look terribly made and are really unappealing to the average video gamer.


But this will change...

...you've got to remember, almost ALL of the 3rd parties were caught with their pants down when Nintendo was showing off the Wii at the last E3. Many of them admitted to having dismissed the Wii before E3, and afterwards, having to ramp up and switch gears to start pumping out Wii games.

No, it won't change. Developers have had plenty of time to observe the Wii and the kind of people who want it, and they're still shunning the Wii. Another good announcement today, with the upcoming Chronicles of Riddick to be on the 360 and PS3. The Wii is just too weak to attract the heavy hitters. It'll get the Nintendo games, a handful of decent multiplatform games, and a tremendous amount of totally crap shovelware.

 


Then in the end Nintendo will be left with the majority of the market and profits, and only a few intelligent devs will be there to share, while the rest just suffer huge losses or even bankruptcy


 Because developing for the 360 leads to "huge losses or even bankruptcy?" What kind of delusional crap is that?



n00b said:
TalonMan said:
ckmlb said:

The so called big flood of huge 3rd party games to Wii still hasn't come even though it's clear that it is selling more than the other two consoles now, anyone wonder why that is?

I mean all the new games announced are small quick cash ins that look terribly made and are really unappealing to the average video gamer.


But this will change...

...you've got to remember, almost ALL of the 3rd parties were caught with their pants down when Nintendo was showing off the Wii at the last E3. Many of them admitted to having dismissed the Wii before E3, and afterwards, having to ramp up and switch gears to start pumping out Wii games.

No, it won't change. Developers have had plenty of time to observe the Wii and the kind of people who want it, and they're still shunning the Wii. Another good announcement today, with the upcoming Chronicles of Riddick to be on the 360 and PS3. The Wii is just too weak to attract the heavy hitters. It'll get the Nintendo games, a handful of decent multiplatform games, and a tremendous amount of totally crap shovelware.

 


 I agree with this to some degree.  Everyday it seems like new software is being announced and there is no Wii version coming.  Why no Wii version of GRAW 2, or the upcoming Riddick game?  Won't be a Wii version of Command and Conquor and it just goes on from there.  As a "core" gamer, it just bothers me.  Granted, most of these games I wouldn't buy, but I at least want the option to pick them up without having to plunk down $400+ on a system.  

In some way, I hope these companies suffer for that.  There is a market for those kinds of games if they were released.

 Oh, and Nintendo did not force third parties to not add online or Mii support.  That is a decision third parties had to make and they decided not to go with it.  Sega has a new game coming out in Japan that refutes the claim that Nintendo barred companies from adding these things.  I think the game is some sort of pachinko game, but it does have online and Mii support.  If third parties are not adding these things, then it's on them.  To me, it just shows a lack of vision on their part.  If they can't come up with better games and better ideas, then they will be left behind on the Wii.  Unfortunately, not only do they lose, but we lose as well.

 

-Darkness 



Around the Network
fishamaphone said:
n00b said:
fishamaphone said:
N00b, are you telling me that missing out on what will probably be a crappy tie-in shovelware game is a bad thing?

What are you talking about? I already pointed out that the Wii will practically be drowning in crappy shovelware. Missing out on what?


Yes, yes, and then you said that Chronicles of Riddick was announced PS3/360. My point was, you're criticising Wii for having shovelware, but then you're pointing to a shovelware game going to the *other* systems* as a negative thing.

Something can't be bad for Nintendo at the same time as it's good for the other consoles... shovelware is shovelware. It's bad no matter what console it ends up on.


 Where the **** have you been? Chronicles of Riddick was one of the best games released last generation. Checking over at GameSpot, only 4 GameCube games all last generation managed to get a higher review score.

 

Lemme guess, you've never played it. Yeah, guess we should all go to YOU for gaming suggestions. lol. 



I didn't say anything about major support, though they did at least have Resident Evil. What they had was similar to what they have now: a lot of games that don't amount to much. At least back then ports of something not last gen (or portable) were easy to do, though.



n00b said:
Christopher_G2 said:
It's really up to third parties to put their A teams on projects for the Wii and DS. If they're banking on the 360, PS3, and PSP than they're seriously limiting their potential to grow as companies. Like it or not, Nintendo is probably going to own the industry practically for the next few years, expecially as far as Japan and most of Europe. Theoretically if third parties joined hands and did give up Nintendo would only make more money as their games would sell to people without third party options. People aren't buying Nintendo systems for third party games, but if there are good ones there they'll buy them once they have it.

Big developers would be wasting resources putting their A teams on Wii projects. It's just too weak, they can farm that crap out to interns. Developing for the Wii seriously limits their potential to grow as good developers.


OK, you're just trolling now, aren't you.  Please tell me you're trolling.  "developing for Wii seriously limits their potential to grow as good developers."  That's worse than  Kutaragi quote.  Seriously, care to explain?



n00b said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
n00b said:
TalonMan said:
ckmlb said:

The so called big flood of huge 3rd party games to Wii still hasn't come even though it's clear that it is selling more than the other two consoles now, anyone wonder why that is?

I mean all the new games announced are small quick cash ins that look terribly made and are really unappealing to the average video gamer.


But this will change...

...you've got to remember, almost ALL of the 3rd parties were caught with their pants down when Nintendo was showing off the Wii at the last E3. Many of them admitted to having dismissed the Wii before E3, and afterwards, having to ramp up and switch gears to start pumping out Wii games.

No, it won't change. Developers have had plenty of time to observe the Wii and the kind of people who want it, and they're still shunning the Wii. Another good announcement today, with the upcoming Chronicles of Riddick to be on the 360 and PS3. The Wii is just too weak to attract the heavy hitters. It'll get the Nintendo games, a handful of decent multiplatform games, and a tremendous amount of totally crap shovelware.

 


Then in the end Nintendo will be left with the majority of the market and profits, and only a few intelligent devs will be there to share, while the rest just suffer huge losses or even bankruptcy


 Because developing for the 360 leads to "huge losses or even bankruptcy?" What kind of delusional crap is that?


No it isn't, but the thing you miss is that if you want to get some of the increased software sales in Japan, PS3 nor xbox360 is a valid plattform. You for the moment have three choices as a publisher, PSP, Wii and DS. That is it more or less.

Other than that I just want to point out one thing: This gen 3rd parties can't kill DS nor Wii in Japan. The DS can't be stopped in EU nor USA. Look at the weekly sales in Japan and you do see which publisher that can sell its hardware alone.



 

 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Darkness said:
n00b said:
TalonMan said:
ckmlb said:

The so called big flood of huge 3rd party games to Wii still hasn't come even though it's clear that it is selling more than the other two consoles now, anyone wonder why that is?

I mean all the new games announced are small quick cash ins that look terribly made and are really unappealing to the average video gamer.


But this will change...

...you've got to remember, almost ALL of the 3rd parties were caught with their pants down when Nintendo was showing off the Wii at the last E3. Many of them admitted to having dismissed the Wii before E3, and afterwards, having to ramp up and switch gears to start pumping out Wii games.

No, it won't change. Developers have had plenty of time to observe the Wii and the kind of people who want it, and they're still shunning the Wii. Another good announcement today, with the upcoming Chronicles of Riddick to be on the 360 and PS3. The Wii is just too weak to attract the heavy hitters. It'll get the Nintendo games, a handful of decent multiplatform games, and a tremendous amount of totally crap shovelware.

 


I agree with this to some degree. Everyday it seems like new software is being announced and there is no Wii version coming. Why no Wii version of GRAW 2, or the upcoming Riddick game? Won't be a Wii version of Command and Conquor and it just goes on from there. As a "core" gamer, it just bothers me. Granted, most of these games I wouldn't buy, but I at least want the option to pick them up without having to plunk down $400+ on a system.

In some way, I hope these companies suffer for that. There is a market for those kinds of games if they were released.

Oh, and Nintendo did not force third parties to not add online or Mii support. That is a decision third parties had to make and they decided not to go with it. Sega has a new game coming out in Japan that refutes the claim that Nintendo barred companies from adding these things. I think the game is some sort of pachinko game, but it does have online and Mii support. If third parties are not adding these things, then it's on them. To me, it just shows a lack of vision on their part. If they can't come up with better games and better ideas, then they will be left behind on the Wii. Unfortunately, not only do they lose, but we lose as well.

 

-Darkness


 Why do you hope those companies suffer? I view it as them keeping some integrity. They could dumb the game down so that it'll run on the Wii and collect money from a bunch of suckers who buy it. Instead they're gonna keep it on the systems that can properly showcase their art.