By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5, ROTTR, Forza 6, Gears sold over 1 million as Xbone outpaces the 360

walsufnir said:

Ok, I'll answer for you as you refused to. It was on 5 platforms. I mean, I know where you are coming from and we all know but comparing a number from 2 months to a number from *years* is off, no matter how hard you try.

Let's talk in 2 years and then we can make judgements how good the game sold, with splits. For now, this is only trying to put the worst image for a game which didn't release on your preferred console due to MS paying money. I can understand that people are disappointed and I also think companies shouldn't buy exclusivity for games which are known to be multiplatform but let's at least try to make good comparisons or not make comparisons at all.

i didnt need to answer because its obvious.

Tomb Raider reboot shipped 3.4 million in four weeks, a number that doesnt include digital sales. those numbers were in Q1 2013, on just 3 platforms.

in double the time frame, the sequal sold through ~1 million, and that was with bundles, and during the holiday season. 

and the fact that the reboot sold 8 million life time should be considered. because while it was a slow burner, its managed to build an 8 million fanbase for the sequal. 

its fantastic how you manage to say comparing a game and its sequal isnt a good comparison. seriously mind boggeling. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
walsufnir said:

Ok, I'll answer for you as you refused to. It was on 5 platforms. I mean, I know where you are coming from and we all know but comparing a number from 2 months to a number from *years* is off, no matter how hard you try.

Let's talk in 2 years and then we can make judgements how good the game sold, with splits. For now, this is only trying to put the worst image for a game which didn't release on your preferred console due to MS paying money. I can understand that people are disappointed and I also think companies shouldn't buy exclusivity for games which are known to be multiplatform but let's at least try to make good comparisons or not make comparisons at all.

Tomb Raider reboot shipped 3.4 million in four weeks, a number that doesnt include digital sales. those numbers were in Q1 2013, on just 3 platforms.

in double the time frame, the sequal sold through ~1 million, and that was with bundles, and during the holiday season. 

and the fact that the reboot sold 8 million life time should be considered. because while it was a slow burner, its managed to build an 8 million fanbase for the sequal. 

its fantastic how you manage to say comparing a game and its sequal isnt a good comparison. seriously mind boggeling. 

That is not what I said and I don't know why you are doing it to defend your comparison. Of course you can compare these games but saying "hey, this one barely made one million, the other did 8" is off because of the reasons I already posted.

AsGryffynn said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Sounds like low numbers compared to what 360 was pulling in during its heyday around the holidays.

Digital... why do people try to nerf digital sales as if it was illogical a game sold more digitally than through discs even though the former is more convenient to hell and back...

I'm not trying to argue against that people try to nerf digital sales but I haven't heard of any big game that was released on consoles selling more digital copies than disc copies.  Frankly, digital is a ripoff because it's the same price as a disc when a game is first released and the price remains quite high compared to discs which drop over and can be bought used. Digital is convenient but like anything that is more convenient, you'll pay more for it in one way or another.  It's overpriced for what it is. It suits some people but not the majority of gamers. 

kurasakiichimaru said:

Most likely shipped considering MS their history this gen
ROTR was heavily discounted this december.
Halo 5 probably hasnt hit 3 million thats why they lumped everything with the other games as a million seller.

I didn't see it discounted anymore than any other game, All games got there fair share of discounts. Depended on the week.

The minimization and downplaying in any thread Xbox is a full time job for some. Keep up the good work peeps, however you must work harder, people are still buying Xbox ones.. LOL and the games are selling way better than the minimization of early threads.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
walsufnir said:
bananaking21 said:

Tomb Raider is coming off a game that sold 8 million. its sales are greatly disappointing to say the least.

8 million in what time frame and on how many consoles, banana? Also, how many copies do you think they would've sold if not exclusive? Definitely not 8 million.

I see the comparison you want to make but seriously, the comparison is off. We know that it would've sold more on PS4 and it would've sold more if not exclusive but we don't have to stretch comparisons to make it look even worse.

the comparison isnt off because its a sequal to the game that sold 8 million. in fact my comparison is the most valid one, since i am directly comparing it to its predecessor.

the 2013 game was a reboot for the franchise, its purpose was to build a new foundation and build a new fanbase, some of them being from the old TR fanbase and some new to the series. it was a slow burner relatively. but it managed to amount to a fanbase of 8 million. the sequals launch sales should be considerably higher than the reboot, and when all is said and done its sales should be higher as well. a sequal to a game that sold 8 million, should be able to reach 10 or 11 million. thats a reasonable growth. but here we are, with some celebrating a measily 1 million sold during in the first two months, those two months being the holiday mind you. 

The new 200 million+ fans?

When will people understand that it is very unfair to compare current and last gen sales when we are one third into the race?

You can call bomba when there are at least 100 million current gen consoles on the market...

DJEVOLVE said:
The minimization and downplaying in any thread Xbox is a full time job for some. Keep up the good work peeps, however you must work harder, people are still buying Xbox ones.. LOL and the games are selling way better than the minimization of early threads.

It's the same in any of the big 3's threads. Each group has their black sheep that rile up everyone. Same shit, different day. I wouldn't take much of it seriously. It's just opinions.

When I look and think (in my opinion) that it will sell less on xbox one+360 compared to the sales from the last game for xbox one+360 and the sales for the ps4 game will also decline heavily compared to the ps3 and/or ps4 of the last game, this game will be lucky getting at 5 million lifetime only chance I see for this game is, if pc gamer go crazy over that game, because playstation fans won't at the end of this year.

Conclusion: The sales are meh and will be bad compared to the last game (lifetime), but no flop at least.

bananaking21 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The game went timed exclusive because MS paid for it. Not because SE loves MS and was under the illusion it could achieve 8 million sales on 360 and X1. Hence, MS likely had to cover the cost of sales lost by not being on the competing platform. Maybe cover some/all development and marketing costs? We don't know the deal they worked out.

Maybe it won't achieve 8 million sales in the long run. But I think it can do 6 million sales when it eventually comes to PC and Playstation. Millions more will acquire from bundles, GwG, PS+, etc. Frankly, its really good game and won't just vanish.

even if it reaches 6 million, which i dont think it will. thats a 25% drop from the reboots sales. instead of growing the fanbase, and establishing tomb raider as one of the major franchises in gaming and one of the biggest adventure games. its struggling to be considered a success. 

its logical to assume a sequal to a reboot that sold 8 million could reach 10 or even 11 million. instead here we are defending it selling one million. fantastic business move done by SE. 

As walsufnir pointed out, it wouldn't be the first time a sequel sold less than the predecessor. Also, it was expected given it wouldn't launch on Playstation. That was a risk SE was willing to take for MS's money.

SFV probably won't sell as well without Xbox, but Capcom is okay with that because they have Sony's money.

How do you know it was a bad business move by SE? Do you know how much MS paid them? I'm more curious if it was a worthwhile investment for MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

bananaking21 said:
walsufnir said:

But you must realize that the 360 and PS3 had peaked in software sales in 2013, and they had far more users. Yes, the 360 still has 10s of millions of users, but its virtually selling no software. 85% of the sales of ROTR is on XB1, meaning that's 1 million on just one platform! But time will tell if it has good legs...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).