By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

CaptainExplosion:

Well I don't know, I don't even know what else they have planned for the Wii U.

Basically nothing, the fact that 2016 is all outsourced titles, ports & delayed games along with not announcing any significant internally developed titles for 1.5 years shows that Nintendo is gearing up to replace Wii U sooner than later.

Which is still a stupid idea. Need I remind you again of the Saturn fiasco? Or how about the transition from the Saturn to the Dreamcast ONLY FOUR YEARS after the Saturn launched?

If ur just going to ignore what I said than don't reply to me.

I already gave u 3 examples of devices releasing within 4 years of their predecessor and being successful. Genesis, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360 all released within 4 years of their predecessors and went on to be the most successful devices that Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft have released yet.

Genesis was on the market for 6 years yet Saturn failed, PS2 was on the market for 6 years yet PS3 saw a big drop, Wii was on the market for 6 years yet Wii U failed. It's not the timeframe that's important, it's how the company handles and executes the next device.

But how can we be sure Nintendo executes it the right way?

Furthermore, if it comes out in 2016 instead of 2017, the PS5 and fourth Xbox will come out 2 or 3 years later, and the NX will be crushed. >_<

NX is going to have to be an upgradable platform some how other it will have problems with the PS5/XB2 no matter what. Regardless of its released in 2016 or 2017, it will be the same problem. 

But even by Nintendo's own patents, it looks like they may have a solution to that problem:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/intriguing_nintendo_patent_points_to_supplemental_computing_device_and_cloud_resources_for_a_gaming_system

If you can add a "supplemental" computing device to your console .... well then they can simply just make the system as powerful as the PS5/XB2 as time goes on. Why buy an entirely new system when the NX you already own can upgrade to that. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Soundwave said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

CaptainExplosion:

Basically nothing, the fact that 2016 is all outsourced titles, ports & delayed games along with not announcing any significant internally developed titles for 1.5 years shows that Nintendo is gearing up to replace Wii U sooner than later.

Which is still a stupid idea. Need I remind you again of the Saturn fiasco? Or how about the transition from the Saturn to the Dreamcast ONLY FOUR YEARS after the Saturn launched?

I already gave u 3 examples of devices releasing within 4 years of their predecessor and being successful. Genesis, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360 all released within 4 years of their predecessors and went on to be the most successful devices that Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft have released yet.

Genesis was on the market for 6 years yet Saturn failed, PS2 was on the market for 6 years yet PS3 saw a big drop, Wii was on the market for 6 years yet Wii U failed. It's not the timeframe that's important, it's how the company handles and executes the next device.

Furthermore, if it comes out in 2016 instead of 2017, the PS5 and fourth Xbox will come out 2 or 3 years later, and the NX will be crushed. >_<

NX is going to have to be an upgradable platform some how other it will have problems with the PS5/XB2 no matter what. Regardless of its released in 2016 or 2017, it will be the same problem. 

But even by Nintendo's own patents, it looks like they may have a solution to that problem:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/intriguing_nintendo_patent_points_to_supplemental_computing_device_and_cloud_resources_for_a_gaming_system

If you can add a "supplemental" computing device to your console .... well then they can simply just make the system as powerful as the PS5/XB2 as time goes on. Why buy an entirely new system when the NX you already own can upgrade to that. 

But there's no gurantee that it'll be EASY to upgrade your NX. Remember how overly complex it was to transfer save data from the regular 3DS to the New 3DS?

There's no reason it should be hard to do any of that. If Nintendo can't figure that simple issue out, then quite frankly, they deserve to fail. 

This is like saying you can't play on the basketball team because you can't figure out how to tie your shoe laces ... like at what point do you just laugh at that person?

CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

CaptainExplosion:

We can't be sure, but that's beside the point.

A one year difference in release date isn't going to drastically alter the hardware, whether it releases in 2016 or 2017, PS5/XB4 may or may not crush it. The year it releases is not going to be what decides if it's a success or failure.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

CaptainExplosion:

Sigh... would you stop spreading lies? Co-developed isnt outsourced aswell.  Mario maker, yoshi's whooly world in-house developed, Splatoon in-house developed. Mario Kart DLC, treasure tracker in january, in-house developed. Curious notion of 1.5 years. Oh... we should go with what you consider "significant". How so very accurate. Shall we consider you our new prophet?

zorg1000 said:

There is nothing unrealistic about anything the people who are debating with u are saying, u have shown time and time again to simply ignore anything that u don't personally agree with. U said having a strong launch+first year lineup is impossible, I showed u how this is actually feasible yet u brushed it aside as being impossible for absolutely no reason same goes for other conversations u have had with others.

There is. You aren't beeing serious and that is why i have not bothered to reply to you. Spreading misinformation like its fact... The only studio they have that can launch a full title later this year is Retro and maybe the 3D mario team. Strong line-up of 2 games right there. Lets ignore the portable market aswell... because it makes perfect business sense.

Newsflash: Nintendo isnt this powerhouse that was working at half steam and is ready to release 4-5 next-gen titles in less than a year when they already got another 4-5 HD titles coming out on the Wii U. That Nintendo doesnt exist. They co-develop with others so they can manage to have more games out on the Wii U. Not because they are hiding 4-5 teams doing next-gen development ready for later this year. Those teams don't exist.

CaptainExplosion said:

But there's no gurantee that it'll be EASY to upgrade your NX. Remember how overly complex it was to transfer save data from the regular 3DS to the New 3DS?

Don't remind me on Nintendo data transfers... the transfer of my Wii data to my WiiU was a pain in the ass!

And with a proper account system I would now have a "New 3DS XL" instead of the old 3DS XL... then I could have made a backup of my 3DS data + licenses, sold the old model right after the announcement before the prices gone down and later restore the backup to the new model.

Around the Network
Nem said:

Sigh... would you stop spreading lies? Co-developed isnt outsourced aswell.  Mario maker, yoshi's whooly world in-house developed, Splatoon in-house developed. Mario Kart DLC, treasure tracker in january, in-house developed. Curious notion of 1.5 years. Oh... we shpuld go with what you consider "significant". How so very accurate. Shall we consider you our new prophet?

There was once a very informative thread about all Nintendo studios (their last project and what they are working on now).

Does anyone know that thread and if it still gets updated?

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

Sigh... would you stop spreading lies? Co-developed isnt outsourced aswell.  Mario maker, yoshi's whooly world in-house developed, Splatoon in-house developed. Mario Kart DLC, treasure tracker in january, in-house developed. Curious notion of 1.5 years. Oh... we should go with what you consider "significant". How so very accurate. Shall we consider you our new prophet?

zorg1000 said:

There is nothing unrealistic about anything the people who are debating with u are saying, u have shown time and time again to simply ignore anything that u don't personally agree with. U said having a strong launch+first year lineup is impossible, I showed u how this is actually feasible yet u brushed it aside as being impossible for absolutely no reason same goes for other conversations u have had with others.

There is. You aren't beeing serious and that is why i have not bothered to reply to you. Spreading misinformation like its fact... The only studio they have that can launch a full title later this year is Retro and maybe the 3D mario team. Strong line-up of 2 games right there. Lets ignore the portable market aswell... because it makes perfect business sense.

Newsflash: Nintendo isnt this powerhouse that was working at half steam and is ready to release 4-5 next-gen titles in less than a year when they already got another 4-5 HD titles coming out on the Wii U. That Nintendo doesnt exist. They co-develop with others so they can manage to have more games out on the Wii U. Not because they are hiding 4-5 teams doing next-gen development ready for later this year. Those teams don't exist.

The fact remains is that there wasn't a single EAD/Retro/main line Nintendo studio developed game announced in 2015 for 2016 at all. It's pretty freaking obvious that the next Animal Crossing for example got moved to whatever NX and Nintendo instead chose to give the Wii U some crappy Amiibo Animal Crossing spin-off made largely be ND Cube. 

The main EAD Tokyo group that developed Mario 3D World has been free since 3D World (Captain Toad was made from the smaller EAD Tokyo group, not the main team) ... where is their next Wii U project? 

Where is Retro's next project? 

I'll bet dollars to donughts they have been working on NX for a long time now. 

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

Newsflash: Nintendo isnt this powerhouse that was working at half steam and is ready to release 4-5 next-gen titles in less than a year when they already got another 4-5 HD titles coming out on the Wii U. That Nintendo doesnt exist. They co-develop with other so they can manage to have more games out on the Wii U. Not because they are hiding 4-5 teams doing next-gen development ready for later this year. Those teams don't exist.

Please read before replying, I didn't say released, I said announced. The only Wii U titles announced post-E3 2014 include Amiibo Festival & Mario Tennis along with Twilight Princess HD & confirmation that Pokken was getting ported over. 2 rushed budget titles, a 10 year old HD port and a year old arcade port are the only Nintendo published games announced in the last 1.5 years. As for Nintendo games for Wii U releasing in 2016, we have 2 games that were supposed to release last year (Star Fox+Zelda U), an HD port, an arcade port and a localization of a 2015 title. No lies, just facts.

Dude it is feasible and I showed u the development cycles of these studios, the jump to HD did not stop them from releasing games in their regular timeframe. I'm not ignoring the portable side, I firmly believe NX is both the successor to 3DS & Wii U.

EAD Group 1 releases a new Mario Kart every 3 years (2005/2008/2011/2014) the next one in 2017 is more than feasible and no DLC does not prevent that because no studio has their entire team working exclusively on DLC.

HAL released Mass Attack in August 2011, Return to Dreamland in November 2011, Triple Deluxe in Jan 2014, Rainbow Curse in Feb 2015. They have released 4 Kirby games on 4 platforms in the last 3.5 years, they can certainly have a new Kirby for NX in 2017, that's 2 full years after the last Kirby title.

EAD Group 2 released Animal Crossing: Wild World+Wii Sports+Wii Play between Nov 2005 & Nov 2006, then they released Wii Music+Animal Crossing: City Folk+Wii Sports Resort between Oct 2008 & July 2009, then they released Nintendo Land+Animal Crossing: New Leaf in Nov/Dec 2012, then they released Splatoon+Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer between May-July 2015. They released 10 games in a span of 10 years, to think they can't get a title out for Holiday 2017 (2.5 years after last release) is niave.

Monster Games releases a game roughly every 2 years, Excite Truck-Nov 2006, ExciteBots-April 2009, Pilotwings Resort-March 2011, DKC Returns 3D-May 2013, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D-April 2015. Having them release a Tropical Freeze port in 2017 is realistic.

EAD Tokyo released Mario Galaxy in 2007, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat port in 2008, Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010, Mario 3D Land in 2011, Mario 3D World in 2013, Captain Toad in 2014, a new Mario in 2016 followed by a smaller title in 2017 is possible.

ND Cube released Wii Party in July 2011, Mario Party 9 in Feb 2012, Wii Party U in October 2013, Mario Party 3DS in Nov 2013, Mario Party 10 in March 2015, Amiibo Festival in Nov 2015. Basically they release 2 games every 2 years so them releasing at least one game in 2017 is not only possible but also likely.

Retro releases a game a little over every 3 years. Prime 3-Aug 2007, DKC Returns-Nov 2010, Tropical Freeze-Feb 2014. A new game in mid-2017 is likely.

And whether u like to admit it or not, Zelda being a dual release on Wii U & NX is possible.

I have given actual proof that all these teams releasing games in 2017 is possible, if u continue to ignore it than ur just stubborn and not worth talking to.

Game Freak has released new Pokémon generations every 3-4 years, 1996/1999/2002/2006/2010/2013. Gen 7 in 2017 is happening.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It doesn't even matter if NX is "just a portable". Why do people think "just a portable" = easy to make games/dramatically lower development resources than a console?

It's not the Game Boy era anymore.

We saw with the 3DS that the 3DS effectively killed Wii development. That's the reason the Wii had crap software support for 2010, 2011, it's not some huge mystery.

Even if NX is "just a portable" which on the low-end is "only a little better than Vita" ... well ok lets then connect the dots, that effectively means the end of the Wii U.

Such a machine will require most/all of Nintendo's major team development upfront to get off to a good start (especially after the disasters that the 3DS and Wii U launches were). Nintendo HAS to support this thing majorly especially in its first 18 months. You're going to need a new 3D Mario. The next Mario Kart? Has to be for the portable. Nintendo's business department will want Splatoon there. Pikmin 4 would make more sense here. Animal Crossing Next has to be for this device.

With what dev resources is Nintendo seriously going to support the Wii U in 2016 and 2017 in this case?

Wii U is finished no matter what the NX is unless it's some bizarre toy or something that doesn't require many/any games. If it's any type of traditional game platform that requires game software of complexity beyond a 3DS ... it's going to require 90%+ of Nintendo internal support and it deserves that, because if the portable fails/falters out of the gate, literally that's probably the end for Nintendo in the hardware business.

It's been a year and a half since any internally developed title of significance was revealed for Wii U.

If it's going to be supported for another two years, where were the big new games at E3 2015? Why is everything coming out this year besides Zelda either a late port/localization or outsourced?

The only major Nintendo studio still tied up in Wii U development is EAD3, the rest have likely all moved on to NX.

As a Wii U owner, I'm not happy about it either, but it's just the way things are.