By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309
twintail said:
Raze said:

The ones that through a hissyfit and stopped making Wii U games, leaving the console to rely on 1st party alone. 15 games, 4 of them just dance games, no Assasins Cred  after Black flag, really left Nintendo high and dry for 2015.

Yup,sounds like Nintendos problem

Or Ubi's. If I had a business partner that turned tail at the first sign of struggle, then wanted back in when things were good again, I'd tell them to shove it.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:

Nem said:

They stated they will keep supporting the Wii U.

See, this is what i have trouble with. You guys just go on a tangent without facts. Yes, its possible. And are we really assuming that Nintendo  can support this NX home console better than they did the Wii U? Its next-gen, yet they will increase their output and fasten their development cycles.

I'm sorry, but i just don't see how you can see these unrealistic things. There's a dream here of a "super" Nintendo that is too far detached from reality.

You guys think making HD games is trivial and fast. Nintendo made Xenoblade X, made Splatoon, made Youshi's whooly world, made mario party 10, mario tennis ultra, super mario maker, coming out of Smash in december of last year. Nintendo released 7, almost 8 HD in one year, the most every other publisher has done, and you believe they are holding back development for a new system? No, this is Nintendo's maximum output of HD titles. This super Nintendo that is holding back and has lots of new next-gen games under development is a figment of the imagination. To make those games you need teams of a hundread plus people. And to add to that they are already developing Fire emblem x SMT, Star fox zero, Zelda Wii U, pikmin 4 that we already know of. Thats about half of their output for next year.

Are some of their studios working on stuff for a future console? Sure. Its obvious that retro has been holding back and 3D mario team has been working on something. Mario kart team has wrapped up mario kart 8 dlc last year and are working on something. But these somethings, beeing next-gen development won't be ready for this year. Or, i would be extremely surprised if it was.

Yep they've stated lot's of things, some of which were lies or never came to pass. That's why actions speak louder than words, and why their 2015 game announcements have painted a clear picture for 3DS and Wii U's future. And yes it is a fact that Nintendo's announced in 2015 games are either low budget or not even made by them. I mean do you honestly believe Amiibo Festival took serious effort? Almost all of them reused assets and engines from other games, that's obvious just by looking at them.

SMTxFE and Starfox are not made by Nintendo but by Atlus and Plantinum respectively, but regardless most of those games you mentioned aren't as telling since they started being planned or worked on before the Wii U was proven to be beyond saving. Hell the only 2016 Wii U game that we didn't already know about years ago is TPHD, a slighty better than a port that's also not even made by Nintendo. So yeah, I think all this outweighs that statement you didn't even provide a source or context for, the latter of which being important because yeah, technically they are still supporting the Wii U, just not nearly as much as normal, and not for much longer. Also are you implying Pikmin 4 is for Wii U cause the fact that they didn't reveal it in the november direct despite it being near completion says otherwise.

EDIT: Ignore this and respond to Hiku already.

Star fox and SMTxFE are co-developed with those companies. They are not completely "outsourced" as some of you want to believe. This is because Nintendo simply doesnt have the resources to develop more HD titles per year than they already are. Again, i will say this idea that Nintendo is holding back while developing lots of NX titles isn't the least bit serious. 

They are obviously already developing for the next systems, likely portable or something different. But there isn't one shred of evidance that its a sucessor to the Wii U. Its the least likely of the three.

Also, again we are to assume they are lieing. Always a sensible thing to do. Also, i don't need to present any proof, as you are the one making the claim that they are making a new home console that releases later this year. I'm saying that its very unlikely and you got no shread of evidance to support it. Even struggles in a logical sense, as we are not only to assume lies as we are to believe they got multiple games under development to be released this year with development kits released a couple of months ago. One year to do everything! Gogo!

But alas, believe what you want.

I will respond to whom i feel like. I don't like having to repeat things to the same people. When i'm convinced they won't listen to reason anymore i stop replying. Can't be bothered to read every wall of text of nonsense.

The last time Nintendo announced a major new Wii U game was E3 2014.

I think that says all that needs to be said about their current and future commitment to the system.

Hiku said:
Nem said:

Don't worry, he didn't respond to me either when I proved to him that based on many teams standard dev cycles, a holiday 2016 launch is more than possible with 2017 featuring a solid software output.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Thunderbird77 said:

He mentioned ios as multiple devices sharing the same architeture for development. The patents say nothing about different skus, devices comunicating with each other wasn't a new thing in the 90's. Again, nothing points to what most people have been speculating, mostly because people have been speculating some pretty crazy stuff.

Go read the patents again they indicate different skus, it even references communicating with a device with different specs, he also mentioned devices working together like brothers, bringing up IOS proves more what is speculated then what you're saying because it's not just an architecture but a platform, a lot points to what people have been speculating even if some people try their hardest to not see it.

Devices have been able to communicate with eachother for a while yes but it's not been applied to gaming in the way the patent indicates.

Around the Network
Nem said:

Star fox and SMTxFE are co-developed with those companies. They are not completely "outsourced" as some of you want to believe. This is because Nintendo simply doesnt have the resources to develop more HD titles per year than they already are. Again, i will say this idea that Nintendo is holding back while developing lots of NX titles isn't the least bit serious. 

They are obviously already developing for the next systems, likely portable or something different. But there isn't one shred of evidance that its a sucessor to the Wii U. Its the least likely of the three.

Also, again we are to assume they are lieing. Always a sensible thing to do. Also, i don't need to present any proof, as you are the one making the claim that they are making a new home console that releases later this year. I'm saying that its very unlikely and you got no shread of evidance to support it. Even struggles in a logical sense, as we are not only to assume lies as we are to believe they got multiple games under development to be released this year with development kits released a couple of months ago. One year to do everything! Gogo!

But alas, believe what you want.

I will respond to whom i feel like. I don't like having to repeat things to the same people. When i'm convinced they won't listen to reason anymore i stop replying. Can't be bothered to read every wall of text of nonsense.

More like selective hearing, that's why you feel you have to repeat yourself, because you're not listening to the logic and reason that debunk what you're saying. If you still want to believe we "got no shread of evidance" despite all that's been given to you, by both users here and Nintendo themselves, then there's no more that can be done. I certainly can't be bothered with someone who ignores valid points. You'll just see for yourself come E3.

Wyrdness said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Although probably another fake, it's the first one with some logic behind it. Nintendo already said their next handheld and home console will have the same architeture. The most possible outcome is that the sucessors for Wii U and 3ds have around 30-40% of it's first party lineups as major exclusives, with the rest (major multiplayer titles, smaller 3d games, all 2d games) getting the smash for Wii U and 3ds treatment. The visual difference would be smaller due to the power gap shrinking and there should be cross buy and cross local/online multiplayer for shared titles. Same cross buy for virtual console titles.

Sharing the whole library is not only impossible but also a terrible business decision. That's because exclusives are what value a platform.

You're thinking of it from a point of view of what platforms are now, the rumour itself is nothing new from what's been speculated before, Iwata indicated two years ago at a stock holders meeting that NX maybe a software platform that drives a family of devices much like a cross between IOS and Steam. This is further backed by the recent string of patents, the new accounts system and indicators from Nintendo themself, it would make perfect business sense as gaming would then adopt a new form in business approach.

Rather then get hardware sales it would be more geared to getting people to open an account on this platform and from then one the person is always a consumer regardless which device they have whether mobile, home console or portable.

This makes migration between devices easier for the consumer, I can see the portable and home console sharing the majority of first party games with each game scaling to the hardware (again something like this was indicated in a patent), sharing a library is also one of the few viable ways to reduce the droughts between the platforms especially if the are mutiple skus.

You know, I haven't thought of NX in that way and it kinda makes sense given what Nintendo has said and the recent patents.

curl-6 said:

I think that says all that needs to be said about their current and future commitment to the system.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the same for the 3DS aswell, not really in terms of quality but budget and ambition. Most all 3DS games from Nintendo since 2014 have reused assests and engines and/or are remakes, S.T.E.A.M. and Federation Force being the only exceptions.

Pokemon OR/AS = Remake + reused engine + asset reuse.

Majora's Mask 3D = Remake + reused engine + asset reuse.

Xenoblade 3D = Remake/Port

Paper Jam = Reused engine + asset reuse.

Home Designer = Reused engine + asset reuse

Pokemon SMD = Reused engine + asset reuse

Triforce Heros = Reused engine + asset reuse

Fire Emblem Fates = Reused engine + asset reuse ...maybe. (I haven't really looked at this game on purpose.)

Einsam_Delphin said:
curl-6 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the same for the 3DS aswell, not really in terms of quality but budget and ambition. Most all 3DS games from Nintendo since 2014 have reused assests and engines and/or are remakes, S.T.E.A.M. and Federation Force being the only exceptions.

Pokemon OR/AS = Remake + reused engine + asset reuse.

Majora's Mask 3D = Remake + reused engine + asset reuse.

Xenoblade 3D = Remake/Port

Paper Jam = Reused engine + asset reuse.

Home Designer = Reused engine + asset reuse

Pokemon SMD = Reused engine + asset reuse

Triforce Heros = Reused engine + asset reuse

Fire Emblem Fates = Reused engine + asset reuse ...maybe. (I haven't really looked at this game on purpose.)

Software production on both systems is winding down, as 3DS reaches the end of its natural life and Wii U is given up on. The major Nintendo studios will have long since been shifted to NX development.

curl-6 said:

Software production on both systems is winding down, as 3DS reaches the end of its natural life and Wii U is given up on. The major Nintendo studios will have long since been shifted to NX development.

I knows I'm just pointing out how the 3DS is in the same boat since people tend to single out the Wii U. It's important because this only adds to the possibility of NX being a fusion concept what with both current systems being dropped at the same time.