By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309
Gamemaster87 said:
DélioPT said:

Because Wii U is in worse shape than 3DS, both in terms of sales and games.
If you look at sales numbers, Wii U is already too low and making it wait for Christmas 2017 would just be suicide; retailers would not keep the console in shelves if they knew that 2017 would be a bare year.

Remember early 2013 when some retailers started discounting Wii U and others even stoped selling it? And this was at the very beggining where the console could still fight back. Imagine now, where it would get no new releases - or anything significant.
3DS, at least, will get the best support from Nintendo, like it has been having; 3rd parties are still backing the 3DS aswell, even if only japanese developers.
Wii U has pratically nothing to hold on to for two years.

And like Hiku told you, GBA and GC came out in the same year. So, it could happen again.
Personally, i believe Nintendo will release both at the same time.

Just because 3DS has been on the market longer doesn't mean it needs to be replaced first.

Dude, just look at the 3DS lineup for this year: outsourced projects and late localiaztions. Meanwhile Nintendo's internal team are still working on Wii U projects. The logical consequence: 3DS successor launches first. And that's how it will happen.

And do we know if there will be almost no Wii U Games in late 2016 and 2017? No. That's just a prediction from you with no evidence.

Do you know if there aren't 3DS games coming from Nintendo?
You seemed quite convinced that there won't be, thus making 3DS the best candidate for replacement.

The only Wii U title being developed by Nintendo, that i can think of, is Zelda. Starfox, Fire Emblem FE (or whatever it's called) and the Zelda TP port are not Nintendo intern projects.

The difference is that 3DS has, at least, 3rd party support to fill in the blanks. Wii U hasn't.

Again, i'm not saying 3DS isn't being replaced or that it could easily wait. What i said is that, if NX is just one device, it makes more sense for it to be a Wii U replacement than a 3DS, even if both need to be replaced.

Around the Network

Nem said:

Again, you make an excellent possibility, but not a reality. Your possibility is not more probable than other possibilities. Besides, its very reaching.

Is it possible? Sure, its possible. Is it probable? I dont think so. Nintendo simply doesnt have the resources for all that.

Obviously it's not reality, yet, but it is very possible and logical, certainly moreso than believing they'll still support Wii U/3DS despite Nintendo's clear message that they're not.

And Nintendo damn better have the resources since they've only made budget spin-offs or had 3rd partys make their games for them this past year.

midrange said:
Darwinianevolution said:
midrange said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Nogamez said:

Nintendo already got the flagship AC imo ( no pun intended) ACIV blackflag!

Jokes aside, if this is true, Ubisoft has no faith on the NX. They put AC3 and AC blackflag on the U, and for the NX just Liberation?

Then again, this sounds like a very fake leak, the only thing it's sounds legit its Ubi porting a Vita game to the NX. I suspect we'll see a lot of those in the future.

Are you surprised at ubisoft's commitment? I don't know if this is right or not, but after Ubisoft was burned by the wii u launch (they were about to give them 2 great launch exclusives!) it wouldnt surprise me that ubi just wants to test it out with a port and rayman

Well, it seems that, out of the three big western publishers, Ubisoft is the one more willing to give Nintendo a chance. Activision stopped the support once they saw CoD couldn't sell, and EA outright boycotted the WiiU with that unnacceptable Origin deal. Ubisoft kept the support for a while, albeit with weaker versions of the games, and no DLC (but they are hardly the only ones).

Even if Ubisoft has less hopes on the NX, a vita port of a game four years old from a franchise that didn't sell well on Nintendo platforms to begin with seems foolish. A port of Grown Home would seem more plausible.

The port of AC from the vita does seem odd at first, but once you realize that ubisoft Bucharest made that game and has experience porting to Nintendo consoles, it makes sense to use that port to both test the hardware and the audience without wasting too much money.

Rayman is self explanatory as to why it's a good game to launch the NX with

Yeah, I think all the major western 3rd parties are going to do some low-risk, low fanfare ports to test out how difficult it will be to work with the NX before commiting to it.  If it isn't around the same level of ease as the PS4/xbox one then I fully expect them to ignore the NX as well.  Nintendo should go into the NX fully expecting western 3rd parties to give them the cold shoulder and only depend on themselves and select Japanese 3rd parties until western publishers show a solid commitment towards supporting them.

Thunderbird77 said:

Iwata never ever said anything about a software platform... the words were very clear: the nintendo divisions that take care of handheld and home console were united so that their next hh and hc have the same architeture. There is no indication of that. the recent patents do not show anything remotely close to what you mentioned, and patents are generally made many years in advance of it's use, with most never being used. It also makes no business sense to do that, not to mention it's impossible to share everything.

Actually he did he referenced devices working together under the same ecosystem much like IOS, the patents do indicate what I posted look them up they mention different skus and devices communicating with each other. The patents surfacing now were registered over a year ago as well they were only just published a few months back, it's very plausible a few of those patents are soon to be put to use.

NX is a new concept according to Nintendo themselves and those patents as well as other indicators point to what people have been speculating for the past few months, what is speculated in this rumour and your post isn't a new concept that largely differs from the previous consoles.

wombat123 said:
midrange said:
Darwinianevolution said:
midrange said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Nogamez said:

Nintendo already got the flagship AC imo ( no pun intended) ACIV blackflag!

Jokes aside, if this is true, Ubisoft has no faith on the NX. They put AC3 and AC blackflag on the U, and for the NX just Liberation?

Then again, this sounds like a very fake leak, the only thing it's sounds legit its Ubi porting a Vita game to the NX. I suspect we'll see a lot of those in the future.

Are you surprised at ubisoft's commitment? I don't know if this is right or not, but after Ubisoft was burned by the wii u launch (they were about to give them 2 great launch exclusives!) it wouldnt surprise me that ubi just wants to test it out with a port and rayman

Well, it seems that, out of the three big western publishers, Ubisoft is the one more willing to give Nintendo a chance. Activision stopped the support once they saw CoD couldn't sell, and EA outright boycotted the WiiU with that unnacceptable Origin deal. Ubisoft kept the support for a while, albeit with weaker versions of the games, and no DLC (but they are hardly the only ones).

Even if Ubisoft has less hopes on the NX, a vita port of a game four years old from a franchise that didn't sell well on Nintendo platforms to begin with seems foolish. A port of Grown Home would seem more plausible.

The port of AC from the vita does seem odd at first, but once you realize that ubisoft Bucharest made that game and has experience porting to Nintendo consoles, it makes sense to use that port to both test the hardware and the audience without wasting too much money.

Rayman is self explanatory as to why it's a good game to launch the NX with

Yeah, I think all the major western 3rd parties are going to do some low-risk, low fanfare ports to test out how difficult it will be to work with the NX before commiting to it.  If it isn't around the same level of ease as the PS4/xbox one then I fully expect them to ignore the NX as well.  Nintendo should go into the NX fully expecting western 3rd parties to give them the cold shoulder and only depend on themselves and select Japanese 3rd parties until western publishers show a solid commitment towards supporting them.

Actually, the NX has to be way easier todevelop for than the ps4/Xbox one in order to win back third parties. Even if the NX is easy to work with, I anticipate the audience and install base to be an issue, therefore Nintendo needs to further incetivise third parties, not just match the competition.

and yeah, I think a lot of third parties are gonna put out low risk games to test the water. if you burnt your friends in the past (wii u) don't expect them to be friendly the next time you see them

Around the Network

i wonder if it is true?!?

Wyrdness said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Iwata never ever said anything about a software platform... the words were very clear: the nintendo divisions that take care of handheld and home console were united so that their next hh and hc have the same architeture. There is no indication of that. the recent patents do not show anything remotely close to what you mentioned, and patents are generally made many years in advance of it's use, with most never being used. It also makes no business sense to do that, not to mention it's impossible to share everything.

Actually he did he referenced devices working together under the same ecosystem much like IOS, the patents do indicate what I posted look them up they mention different skus and devices communicating with each other. The patents surfacing now were registered over a year ago as well they were only just published a few months back, it's very plausible a few of those patents are soon to be put to use.

NX is a new concept according to Nintendo themselves and those patents as well as other indicators point to what people have been speculating for the past few months, what is speculated in this rumour and your post isn't a new concept that largely differs from the previous consoles.

He mentioned ios as multiple devices sharing the same architeture for development. The patents say nothing about different skus, devices comunicating with each other wasn't a new thing in the 90's. Again, nothing points to what most people have been speculating, mostly because people have been speculating some pretty crazy stuff.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Nem said:

Again, you make an excellent possibility, but not a reality. Your possibility is not more probable than other possibilities. Besides, its very reaching.

Is it possible? Sure, its possible. Is it probable? I dont think so. Nintendo simply doesnt have the resources for all that.

Obviously it's not reality, yet, but it is very possible and logical, certainly moreso than believing they'll still support Wii U/3DS despite Nintendo's clear message that they're not.

And Nintendo damn better have the resources since they've only made budget spin-offs or had 3rd partys make their games for them this past year.

They stated they will keep supporting the Wii U.

See, this is what i have trouble with. You guys just go on a tangent without facts. Yes, its possible. And are we really assuming that Nintendo  can support this NX home console better than they did the Wii U? Its next-gen, yet they will increase their output and fasten their development cycles.

I'm sorry, but i just don't see how you can see these unrealistic things. There's a dream here of a "super" Nintendo that is too far detached from reality.

You guys think making HD games is trivial and fast. Nintendo made Xenoblade X, made Splatoon, made Youshi's whooly world, made mario party 10, mario tennis ultra, super mario maker, coming out of Smash in december of last year. Nintendo released 7, almost 8 HD in one year, the most every other publisher has done, and you believe they are holding back development for a new system? No, this is Nintendo's maximum output of HD titles. This super Nintendo that is holding back and has lots of new next-gen games under development is a figment of the imagination. To make those games you need teams of a hundread plus people. And to add to that they are already developing Fire emblem x SMT, Star fox zero, Zelda Wii U, pikmin 4 that we already know of. Thats about half of their output for next year.

Are some of their studios working on stuff for a future console? Sure. Its obvious that retro has been holding back and 3D mario team has been working on something. Mario kart team has wrapped up mario kart 8 dlc last year and are working on something. But these somethings, beeing next-gen development won't be ready for this year. Or, i would be extremely surprised if it was.

Who still cares about ac?

I am so fed up with this ip... i played all till the end including ac3, since then i dont care anymore. If nintendo wants to catch me with this, then good night.

I can believe that Nintendo could have a single OS, which will work on their next console and handheld.
The technology exists which would allow for Nintendo to make a handheld that is a scaled down version of the console or Nintendo could just optimize their software to work with 2 separate sets of specs.

It's possible that attempting a port could give Ubisoft an idea of that system's potential, if it runs the game well then it may bode well for ports of other Assassin's Creed or Ubisoft games in general being put on Nintendo's new platform(s).

As far as I'm aware 4chan leaked some artwork from Horizon: Zero Dawn around the time Shinobi602 started to talk about the game, so I wouldn't be quick to question the legitimacy of their ability to have any "insider" knowledge or sources that could know anything.
Sony kept quiet about Horizon, with only Guerrilla stating that they were making a new IP back in late 2010 and the odd statement about the game progressing, but nothing about it's content or the setting or lead character being revealed before Shinobi talked about it, then at E3 this year the concept art 4chan showed was incredibly close to what Horizon really looks like and is about.

This NX "rumor" or information doesn't sound unbelievable.
Maybe you can question whether Ubisoft has any faith in Nintendo, because Liberation isn't some fresh new AC game or that they aren't talking about porting a tonne of past Ubisoft games to the platform, but I wouldn't be so quick to question whether Ubisoft would work with Nintendo or if Nintendo would really make a system or family of systems like this.