By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is FF8 worth playing?

I haven't played it myself, but my friend has told me that it was a piece of shit of a game. Also, most people on the internet have also expressed the massive flaws of it.

Around the Network

FF8 is wonderful. The story, the graphics (for its time), the summons (called Guardian force or GF for short in ff8) are amazing. The whole game is way better than ff7.

I usually replay it once every year or two cause I love it so much and it's my favorite FF. FF9 is also fantastic and highly recommended.

It divides opinions, but most people agree that it's a good game. It's about how good exactly it is that they don't agree about. And of course there's some people that can't stand some aspects of the game. But most likely it will be an enjoyable experience.

Not my favorite because of the combat system. Story wise is up there with IX and VII and it's probably the biggest of the 3 in terms of the story and with many plot twists (at least it felt longer to me even though I played through it just once).

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
gergroy said:
Not something I would ever recommend, but some people like it. The general consensus is that it is one of the worst final fantasys'...

Primarily on the internet though.  FFXIII is a different story and the internet hate probably more inline with the mainstream (how often do you hear people say they loved FFXIII, not liked, loved), but I heard lots of great things from people who played FF8 when it came out.  I'm more inclined to believe the mainstream have a lot of love for FF8.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

FFVIII is the best of the PS1 trilogy, but its FF expect a million different answers.

Nautilus said:
Is it worth playing?Yes
Is it worth playing more than the other FFs?No
You should play FFX, the best FF there is.The story is better, gameplay is better, and enemies dont lvl up with you(I really hated this, it broke the game for me, since it basically make it pointless to lvl up, and gain experience, one of the pillars of any RPG).
Play the other FFs, you deserve better

Are there any FFs that are borderline unplayable? I kinda wanna play the whole series. 

Insidb said:
Wright said:

Life doesn't hold a candle to Triple Triad.

Best FF mini-game ever.

That card game was amazing, especially the music.  

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Nautilus said:
Is it worth playing?Yes
You should play FFX, the best FF there is.The story is better, gameplay is better, and enemies dont lvl up with you(I really hated this, it broke the game for me, since it basically make it pointless to lvl up, and gain experience, one of the pillars of any RPG).

I disagree.  Grinding isn't necessarily fun and you don't have to do that much of it in FF8 to worry about much more powerful enemies.  You level up fairly quickly in FF8.  If there are other things to do regarding building your stats up besides fighting enemies then all the more better for an RPG.  Some people consider FF8 broken because you don't have to necessarily fight many enemies and you can just focus on getting powerful magics to buff your stats, but you kind of do anyways (bosses).  Also to get better items you have other options besides just killing enemies in FF8 like turning them into cards.  You can even level them up or down during battle for more EXP and AP with a GF ability.  

I personally wish more JRPGS did this to get rid of the monotony of the grind.  That is, focus on multiple options for getting stronger not limited to killing monsters.  It also makes exploration/experimentation far more useful and exciting. 

is very easy to level up on Final Fantasy VIII, you just need to get 1000 EXP for level up on every level.

Munchies said:
Nautilus said:
Is it worth playing?Yes

Are there any FFs that are borderline unplayable? I kinda wanna play the whole series. 

Nah, all are pretty good. Just  don't download FF5 on PSN, it's a bit broken. It's fine on other devices though