By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is FF8 worth playing?

What I don't like about ff8. I hate romance/love stories.

What I like about ff8, is the first disc.

any final fantasy with a love story = I dislike. (and I use this word very seriously)

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Great game, I preferred FF7 but it's still one of my favourites. I loved the summons in FF8 and spamming to increase their power keeps you engaged during the video sequences.

The OST is a masterpiece, 7 is better in every aspect imo but it's worth your money, unless you are buying it on the ps store...

Nautilus said:
Is it worth playing?Yes
Is it worth playing more than the other FFs?No
You should play FFX, the best FF there is.The story is better, gameplay is better, and enemies dont lvl up with you(I really hated this, it broke the game for me, since it basically make it pointless to lvl up, and gain experience, one of the pillars of any RPG).
Play the other FFs, you deserve better

I disagree.  Grinding isn't necessarily fun and you don't have to do that much of it in FF8 to worry about much more powerful enemies.  You level up fairly quickly in FF8.  If there are other things to do regarding building your stats up besides fighting enemies then all the more better for an RPG.  Some people consider FF8 broken because you don't have to necessarily fight many enemies and you can just focus on getting powerful magics to buff your stats, but you kind of do anyways (bosses).  Also to get better items you have other options besides just killing enemies in FF8 like turning them into cards.  You can even level them up or down during battle for more EXP and AP with a GF ability.  

I personally wish more JRPGS did this to get rid of the monotony of the grind.  That is, focus on multiple options for getting stronger not limited to killing monsters.  It also makes exploration/experimentation far more useful and exciting. 

Lube Me Up

Every day in reminded that forums are ruled by IX fans. Absolute worst FF in terms of characters.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Munchies said:
AZWification said:

Final Fantasy IX destroys VIII in pretty much every way. Heck, even X and XII are better.

Those are not on Steam, though.

If you are into MMOs more than RPGs then XII is the best FF for you.  But that being said I'm going to say a few things that FF8 destroys every other FF in:

1.  Menu mechanics: Seriously, the item/magic conversion system makes FF8 so much fun just messing around with the items you get when you learn the corresponding abilities from your GFs.  They give you a huge edge in battles. Try stealing them from enemies and then decide how to utilize them.  You can even turn enemies into cards and then convert those cards into items in the menu if you choose!

2. Random Encounter rate control: All I can say is get Diablo as soon as you can (the magic lamb you are given by the headmaster by default in the storyline)  With diablo you can learn half enc rate and none enc rate early on in the game.  I recommend just keeping it on half-enc personally.  The battles are perfectly spaced out.  There are some other useful abilities you get from Diablo too.

3. Most useful and fun minigame: Triple Triad.   It's useful because of turning monsters into cards and then converting them into items, or just using your captured monster in the card game itself.  You can just win games ( which is quicker) in order to turn more monster cards into items. Some even say this game is better than the main game of FF8.  It's highly addicting but risky unless you know that you should try to keep the rules of the game as simple as possible (facing opponents that won't spread additional rules like random cards or other complex happenings across a region).  Just simply don't play them and the rules won't spread.  You can exit out of a match before you begin to see the rules they use.  In some cases you need to learn the rules though to get better cards, just fyi.     

The item system is def. one of the strong points of the game.

This requires abit of research (or trial and error) but its fun to maximise the system.

Some cards turn into blue magic skills, or skills you can teach your guardian forces.

That alone makes the mini games fun to test out.

Why not try winning a card battle? for that card that turns into a item peice you need to upg your weapons? or teach your GF a new skill? It makes you want to play the card game.

The draw magic system.... eerrhmm... not a huge fan but found myself collection everything to 100, only to throw alot of the weaker magics out over time (my gripe is you can actually run out of storage space, and have to throw out alot of the magic you collected early on in the game).

Also if you get it, avoid grinding.
What you want to do is never give kill shots to your main character, aways to other part members.
And try to avoid getting xp when possible (eg. turn monsters into cards instead).

Get the AP, level up your Guardian forces (summons) and have them teach you the skills that give you +1 stats on level ups.

Then if you level up, you get perma increases to stats, and you end up badass.
Or just totally skip that part, avoid the grind since theres not much reason too.

Not something I would ever recommend, but some people like it. The general consensus is that it is one of the worst final fantasys'...

Azuren said:
Every day in reminded that forums are ruled by IX fans. Absolute worst FF in terms of characters.

Thank you! You're my new fave user v.v XD

It doesnt compare to 7 but it's a great game anyway. Weird story and slightly unlikable characters but great world, battle mechanics and CARD GAME!!!!