By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 V's Gears of War 2

starcraft said:
MikeB said:
I bought into the original Gears hype and I won't be buying Gears 2, I think there are more gamers who think Gears of War was too overhyped by Microsoft, Epic and the US media and will be more sceptical with regard to follow-up hype for the sequel.

I think Resistance 2 will prove to be an eye-opener showcase title for the PS3's technical capabilities.

Your right, it's 2008's Lair. Wait what?

Lair has its impressive moments, but Factor 5 is no Insomniac.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
I bought into the original Gears hype and I won't be buying Gears 2, I think there are more gamers who think Gears of War was too overhyped by Microsoft, Epic and the US media and will be more sceptical with regard to follow-up hype for the sequel.

I think Resistance 2 will prove to be an eye-opener showcase title for the PS3's technical capabilities.

Didn't catch anyone saying that before the reviews came in.  I did however, regularly hear the words "technical showpiec" and "eye-opener."

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:

Didn't catch anyone saying that before the reviews came in. I did however, regularly hear the words "technical showpiec" and "eye-opener."

Lair lacked the polish a game like this deserves, in parts amazing in other parts annoying because they show lack of polish compared to what could have been achieved when compared to the amazing parts and reviewers disliked the tilt controls. I think the scale of the project was simply too big for Factor 5 to handle, they showed potential but that's not enough.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Gears will have the highest sales, regardless of whether its the better game or not.
I'm not a big fan of 3rd person shooters myself, but then again; I'm no fan of console FPS' either...

MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:

Didn't catch anyone saying that before the reviews came in. I did however, regularly hear the words "technical showpiec" and "eye-opener."

Lair lacked the polish a game like this deserves, in parts amazing in other parts annoying because they show lack of polish compared to what could have been achieved when compared to the amazing parts and reviewers disliked the tilt controls. I think the scale of the project was simply too big for Factor 5 to handle, they showed potential but that's not enough.

Really I think people should actually play the game or watch some in-game footage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uc__oKIJdMA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GzoX7ZQ0cFs

Note these are just ultra low quality youtube videos, Lair's native rendering resolution is higher than any 360 game of this sort (although there's nothing really that similar available on the 360 at all).

Honestly the US reviews were not very objective while reviewing this game, not the classic it could have become but certainly not the disaster reviewers claimed it to be. Technically Lair is very impressive for an early PS3 game, it should not be used as proof the PS3 is incapable of producing amazing games. I hope 360 fanboys quit bringing up Lair as a huge technical dissapointment, the main dissapointments with this game lie elsewhere.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

No contest at all, Gears of War 2 will be more popular and sell a lot more.

Gears of war 2 will sell much more than Resistance 2, however I believe VERY strongly that Resistance 2 will be the much better game.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

We have already had a thread MGS 4 vs Gears of War 2. Now is Resistance 2 vs Gears of War 2. Came on! MGS 4, Resistance 2 and GoW are diffrent types of games.
MGS is stealth action. You can compare it with Tom Clancy's games but not with GoW.
In my opinion Tom Clancy's series are better but everybody had a different taste.
Resistance is FPS you can compare it with Halo but not with GoW.
GoW don't have competition with any PS3 title and is one of a few 3rd person shooters I like.
I hope Resistance 2 will be better then Resistance: FoM. Resistance was not a bad game, but it was far away from killers like GoW, Bioshock, CoD 4. I don't think Resistance 2 will sell more then GoW.

@ BryanA

GoW don't have competition with any PS3 title

Uncharted has a similar but more advanced 3rd person perspective cover system and shooting approach.

Unreal Tournament 3 can be played from a 3rd person perspective. IMO there's little difference between first person shooters and 3rd person perspective shooters. Just like playing Motorstorm or Gran Turismo 5 Prologue from in-car view perspective or 3rd person view don't really create an entirely different game gerne.

First person is better for realism, 3rd person perspective is better for overview.

IMO Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will overall certainly appeal to similar kinds of people like Gears does.

PS3 vs 360 sales

BrayanA said:
GoW don't have competition with any PS3 title and is one of a few 3rd person shooters I like.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It actually had smoother shooting and cover mechanics than Gears of War did, though it had the advantage of coming out after Gears of War and likely took a few pointers there.