By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 V's Gears of War 2

Killzone 2's cover system looks promising as well, although the game takes a more realistic first person perspective. The devs can however change to 3rd person view on the fly for better testing overview.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ BryanA

GoW don't have competition with any PS3 title

Uncharted has a similar but more advanced 3rd person perspective cover system and shooting approach.

Unreal Tournament 3 can be played from a 3rd person perspective. IMO there's little difference between first person shooters and 3rd person perspective shooters. Just like playing Motorstorm or Gran Turismo 5 Prologue from in-car view perspective or 3rd person view don't really create an entirely different game gerne.

First person is better for realism, 3rd person perspective is better for overview.

IMO Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will overall certainly appeal to similar kinds of people like Gears does.
WTF? Gears has a much better cover system. To this day it's still the benchmark. Also read your comment earlier about Resistance sales. Every PS3 at launch here in the UK had it bundled or with Motorstorm. Even tonight on ITV1 I saw an advert for PS3 with Motorstorm and Resistance for £299. Thats where it's sales came from. Resistance was quite average.  

We're going to have to start calling the PS3 the FPS3 considering how much money Sony is pouring into FPS titles this year.

oooh, clever. but sony came into the fps scene too late in my opinion.

DOATS1 said:
oooh, clever. but sony came into the fps scene too late in my opinion.
And the PS3 controller needs overhall for FPS's. 

Around the Network

they should keep the ps controller design as it is. it worked well for over 200 million users before, and it still works well now.

selnor said:
MikeB said:
@ BryanA

Uncharted has a similar but more advanced 3rd person perspective cover system and shooting approach.

Unreal Tournament 3 can be played from a 3rd person perspective. IMO there's little difference between first person shooters and 3rd person perspective shooters. Just like playing Motorstorm or Gran Turismo 5 Prologue from in-car view perspective or 3rd person view don't really create an entirely different game gerne.

First person is better for realism, 3rd person perspective is better for overview.

IMO Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will overall certainly appeal to similar kinds of people like Gears does.
WTF? Gears has a much better cover system. To this day it's still the benchmark. Also read your comment earlier about Resistance sales. Every PS3 at launch here in the UK had it bundled or with Motorstorm. Even tonight on ITV1 I saw an advert for PS3 with Motorstorm and Resistance for £299. Thats where it's sales came from. Resistance was quite average.

I don't think so, too many Gears actions on one button, Uncharted offers more cover approaches (like hanging from a ledge), more, better and more emotive cover animations, etc. The Gears crawled cover running is very unrealistically done. Gears does feel more sticky against walls, but personally I don't prefer that.

There are plenty of Gears / 360 bundles available as well. Standalone systems were available at European launch, I bought one. Actually considering I bought both Motorstorm and Resistance, I would have preferred a relatively cheaper bundled option if I had the choice.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
selnor said:
MikeB said:
@ BryanA

I don't think so, too many Gears actions on one button, Uncharted offers more cover approaches (like hanging from a ledge), more, better and more emotive cover animations, etc. The Gears crawled cover running is very unrealistically done. Gears does feel more sticky against walls, but personally I don't prefer that.

There are plenty of Gears / 360 bundles available as well. Standalone systems were available at European launch, I bought one. Actually considering I bought both Motorstorm and Resistance, I would have preferred a relatively cheaper bundled option if I had the choice.

No where near as many as Resistance. The game was good but not great. Gears bundles were only for like 2 months. Limited Edition.  

MikeB said:
selnor said:
MikeB said:
@ BryanA

I wish people would realise that its not about realism, its about creating a cinematic experieance. Which it does extremely well. Just because a game is realistic doesn't mean its a good game. The camera shake in the crouched running really upped the excitement.

Now in regards to sales I believe gears will win. Microsoft is extremely good asgenerating massive hype. However resistence will sell extremely well also. 

@ FaRmLaNd

I wish people would realise that its not about realism, its about creating a cinematic experieance. Which it does extremely well. Just because a game is realistic doesn't mean its a good game.

For me (granted I am a physical therapist) this actually degrades from the experience. However I love how many things are implemented in Uncharted as well as in-game body postures.

Speaking of Gears as a cinematic experience, for a movie it shows a pretty weak story line and poor WWF-style acting performances.

PS3 vs 360 sales