By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 V's Gears of War 2

@ selnor

No where near as many as Resistance. The game was good but not great. Gears bundles were only for like 2 months. Limited Edition.

Gears is not great, it's pretty short (some parts are just annoying, other parts repetitive) and flawed in too many ways. Really any reviewer could easily pick out the shortcomings, I am baffled why the US media didn't. It must have something to do with hype or the title being of too much importance to the 360 which resulted into incomplete and low quality reviews.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
BrayanA said:
GoW don't have competition with any PS3 title and is one of a few 3rd person shooters I like.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It actually had smoother shooting and cover mechanics than Gears of War did, though it had the advantage of coming out after Gears of War and likely took a few pointers there.

OK, OK! I forget about Uncharted. I never play it, so I can't say anything about it.
Ok now we have GoW vs Uncharted. Everybody cool?

MikeB said:
@ FaRmLaNd

Speaking of Gears as a cinematic experience, for a movie it shows a pretty weak story line and poor WWF-style acting performances.

Cinematics? No 10x. I want action! I like shooting a lot. I don't like games that looks like movies. Metal Gear Solid 2 - too much cinematics and not enough playing.

BrayanA said:
MikeB said:
@ FaRmLaNd

Speaking of Gears as a cinematic experience, for a movie it shows a pretty weak story line and poor WWF-style acting performances.

Cinematics? No 10x. I want action! I like shooting a lot. I don't like games that looks like movies. Metal Gear Solid 2 - too much cinematics and not enough playing.

More playing than Gears....

Did you mean MGS2, or MGS4 though?  Oh wait, it doesn't matter.

MikeB said:
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
I bought into the original Gears hype and I won't be buying Gears 2, I think there are more gamers who think Gears of War was too overhyped by Microsoft, Epic and the US media and will be more sceptical with regard to follow-up hype for the sequel.

I think Resistance 2 will prove to be an eye-opener showcase title for the PS3's technical capabilities.

Your right, it's 2008's Lair. Wait what?

Lair has its impressive moments, but Factor 5 is no Insomniac.

Didn't catch anyone saying that before the reviews came in. I did however, regularly hear the words "technical showpiec" and "eye-opener."

Lair lacked the polish a game like this deserves, in parts amazing in other parts annoying because they show lack of polish compared to what could have been achieved when compared to the amazing parts and reviewers disliked the tilt controls. I think the scale of the project was simply too big for Factor 5 to handle, they showed potential but that's not enough.

Really I think people should actually play the game or watch some in-game footage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uc__oKIJdMA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GzoX7ZQ0cFs

Note these are just ultra low quality youtube videos, Lair's native rendering resolution is higher than any 360 game of this sort (although there's nothing really that similar available on the 360 at all).

Honestly the US reviews were not very objective while reviewing this game, not the classic it could have become but certainly not the disaster reviewers claimed it to be. Technically Lair is very impressive for an early PS3 game, it should not be used as proof the PS3 is incapable of producing amazing games. I hope 360 fanboys quit bringing up Lair as a huge technical dissapointment, the main dissapointments with this game lie elsewhere.

people think lair is like the worst game ever made, sure it has problems, but i found it quite an interesting game.

i mean look at hour of victory on 360, now that is a broken game, theres much worse games on 360 than lair

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
MikeB said:
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
I bought into the original Gears hype and I won't be buying Gears 2, I think there are more gamers who think Gears of War was too overhyped by Microsoft, Epic and the US media and will be more sceptical with regard to follow-up hype for the sequel.

I think Resistance 2 will prove to be an eye-opener showcase title for the PS3's technical capabilities.

Your right, it's 2008's Lair. Wait what?

Lair has its impressive moments, but Factor 5 is no Insomniac.

Didn't catch anyone saying that before the reviews came in. I did however, regularly hear the words "technical showpiec" and "eye-opener."

Lair lacked the polish a game like this deserves, in parts amazing in other parts annoying because they show lack of polish compared to what could have been achieved when compared to the amazing parts and reviewers disliked the tilt controls. I think the scale of the project was simply too big for Factor 5 to handle, they showed potential but that's not enough.

Really I think people should actually play the game or watch some in-game footage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uc__oKIJdMA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GzoX7ZQ0cFs

Note these are just ultra low quality youtube videos, Lair's native rendering resolution is higher than any 360 game of this sort (although there's nothing really that similar available on the 360 at all).

Honestly the US reviews were not very objective while reviewing this game, not the classic it could have become but certainly not the disaster reviewers claimed it to be. Technically Lair is very impressive for an early PS3 game, it should not be used as proof the PS3 is incapable of producing amazing games. I hope 360 fanboys quit bringing up Lair as a huge technical dissapointment, the main dissapointments with this game lie elsewhere.

people think lair is like the worst game ever made, sure it has problems, but i found it quite an interesting game.

i mean look at hour of victory on 360, now that is a broken game, theres much worse games on 360 than lair

Yeah but Hour Victory wasnt hyped as a killer app like Lair. Also Lair's production costs were up there with the top games. That's why Lair crashed so hard. Unplayable due to poor controls and dodgey framerate. 

MikeB said:
@ selnor

No where near as many as Resistance. The game was good but not great. Gears bundles were only for like 2 months. Limited Edition.

Gears is not great, it's pretty short (some parts are just annoying, other parts repetitive) and flawed in too many ways. Really any reviewer could easily pick out the shortcomings, I am baffled why the US media didn't. It must have something to do with hype or the title being of too much importance to the 360 which resulted into incomplete and low quality reviews.
Well if Gears of War 2 sells more than the first one, most people will disagree with you. 

Those video's of Lair you posted did not really impress me, i know the game looked good and had big area's. But the voice acting is shitty and the camera seems broken.

Griffin said:
Those video's of Lair you posted did not really impress me, i know the game looked good and had big area's. But the voice acting is shitty and the camera seems broken.

With regard to the voice acting I agree for some parts of the game, but on the other hand the game does include some of the best orchestral musical sound tracks and animal sounds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=13CpsOKNU0Q

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
Griffin said:

With regard to the voice acting I agree for some parts of the game, but on the other hand the game does include some of the best orchestral musical sound tracks and animal sounds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=13CpsOKNU0Q

Dude get over it. Lair was bad. There done. There will be much better PS3 games. God.