By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 V's Gears of War 2

Let's just hope they're both good - okay?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I think Resistance 2 will be much better from a technical, game design perspective and story telling perspective. But I expect Microsoft to generate much hype and the US press to eat it up like they did with the original Gears of War.

I would think Gears 2 would initially outsell Resistance 2 for this year, but R2 will probably outsell Gears 2 lifetime sales. My hope is on Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 to pull many new hardcore FPS fans towards the PS3. Sadly FPS games don't do well for Japan, so that PS3 market advantage will not be significant.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

To the original poster. I respect your enthusiasm, but your statements are unfounded. First I would wait for these games to be released before I say what they are or they are not. Let us not confuse hopes with facts. Your five million unit estimate isn't supported by any realistic presentation.

Important facts to consider.

Gears of War sales 5.06m
Resistance sales 2.46m
Gears of War attach rate 29%
Resistance attach rate 23%
Gears last weeks NA sales 7,183
Resistance last weeks NA sales 4,322
Gears of War meta rating 94
Resistance meta rating 86

Gears historically has done much better then Resistance. With higher total sales, higher attach rate, higher critical acclaim, and greater longevity. The title should easily match its predecessor. While Resistance might match its predecessor it will be hard pressed to double its sales. The constrictive market size, and the lower attach rate for the console will not help in this goal. Neither will the fact that Resistance did these kind of sale thanks in large part to being a launch title. Thus having a small library to compete with, and not having much of a library in the first year.

I actually think the question is whether Resistance 2 will sell three million copies this year, and can gears sell seven or eight million copies. One will most definitely kick the buzz in high gear. While early adopters of the PS3 may be stoked about Resistance the reality is that it isn't actually Buzz worthy. No more so then say other library launch titles such as Red Steel, or Raving Rabids.

When you step back you see a real light weight versus heavy weight situation. Resistance 2 probably will not do badly it use launch to build a fan base. However against Gears it will be flattened. The real question is can Gears 2 actually make it to five million copies on its first day. Knowing Microsoft they will stoke the add machine to magnificent effect.

no contest GOW 2. easy.

GeoW 2 will probably win in every aspect, but R2 will be a 9/10 game. I hope to own both

Around the Network

@ Dodece

> Important facts to consider.

> Gears of War sales 5.06m
> Resistance sales 2.46m

If you want to state facts then state actual facts like:

Fact 1: Ted Price at DICE stated Resistance: Fall of Man sold over 2.5 million copies.
Fact 2: CliffyB stated at DICE Gears of War sold just around 4.5 million copies at that point, but did not clarify if this includes PC sales.

Taking into account larger 360 install bases for the US and Europe during both game's availability and insignificance of FPS games for Japan where the PS3 had an install base advantage ever since the platform launched, Resistance performed really well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

That's easy. There are more Gearboys than Resistboys.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Dodece said:
To the original poster. I respect your enthusiasm, but your statements are unfounded. First I would wait for these games to be released before I say what they are or they are not. Let us not confuse hopes with facts. Your five million unit estimate isn't supported by any realistic presentation.

Important facts to consider.

Gears of War sales 5.06m
Resistance sales 2.46m
Gears of War attach rate 29%
Resistance attach rate 23%
Gears last weeks NA sales 7,183
Resistance last weeks NA sales 4,322
Gears of War meta rating 94
Resistance meta rating 86

Gears historically has done much better then Resistance. With higher total sales, higher attach rate, higher critical acclaim, and greater longevity. The title should easily match its predecessor. While Resistance might match its predecessor it will be hard pressed to double its sales. The constrictive market size, and the lower attach rate for the console will not help in this goal. Neither will the fact that Resistance did these kind of sale thanks in large part to being a launch title. Thus having a small library to compete with, and not having much of a library in the first year.

I actually think the question is whether Resistance 2 will sell three million copies this year, and can gears sell seven or eight million copies. One will most definitely kick the buzz in high gear. While early adopters of the PS3 may be stoked about Resistance the reality is that it isn't actually Buzz worthy. No more so then say other library launch titles such as Red Steel, or Raving Rabids.

When you step back you see a real light weight versus heavy weight situation. Resistance 2 probably will not do badly it use launch to build a fan base. However against Gears it will be flattened. The real question is can Gears 2 actually make it to five million copies on its first day. Knowing Microsoft they will stoke the add machine to magnificent effect.

Win.

Everything of relevance to this thread can be found in this post from Dodoce. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I bought into the original Gears hype and I won't be buying Gears 2, I think there are more gamers who think Gears of War was too overhyped by Microsoft, Epic and the US media and will be more sceptical with regard to follow-up hype for the sequel.

I think Resistance 2 will prove to be an eye-opener showcase title for the PS3's technical capabilities.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
I bought into the original Gears hype and I won't be buying Gears 2, I think there are more gamers who think Gears of War was too overhyped by Microsoft, Epic and the US media and will be more sceptical with regard to follow-up hype for the sequel.

I think Resistance 2 will prove to be an eye-opener showcase title for the PS3's technical capabilities.

Your right, it's 2008's Lair. Wait what?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS