By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Woolly World on track to outsell Tropical Freeze

midrange said:

Most of the wii u's audience this gen is young kids. Most of them probably are familiar with yoshi through mario (who doesn't know about mario), while not knowing or caring as much for dk. That and the fact that rare handled dk in the past (rare being infamous for great games) gave dk a better position in the past

Actually, I'm pretty sure adult Nintendo fans outnumber kids on Wii U. 

If Wii U was effectively tapping into the "parents buying for their kids" market, its sales wouldn't be so dismal.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
This just in, easy games outsell hard games lol

Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more than twice as much as Kirby's Epic Yarn.

It also had 10 times the promotion.

AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That doesn't change the end result. Such a big difference can't be put down to promotion alone.

curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That doesn't change the end result. Such a big difference can't be put down to promotion alone.

*Takes a look at Splatoon sales*

I disagree haha

Kuksenkov said:
And I'm glad for Yoshi. That dinosaur is the cutest thing ever.

Not a dinosaur. Nintendo confirmed this. ;)

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Tropical Freeze is the second game in a series and I think that a lot of people had their fill with DKCR on the Wii. Tropical Freeze doesn't really do anything to stand out as an HD game, and so there's really no reason for a lot of fans to come back to DKCR on the Wii U unless you are a big fan of the gameplay. It would be different if they did something really compelling with the gamepad.

I think that it's almost the same situation with NSMBU. If I owned the Wii version of New Super Mario Bros, I would feel absolutely no desire to buy it again for the Wii U since it's basically just a slight upgrade to 2D graphics that I felt already looked good on the Wii. I think that if it wasn't for the mandatory Wii U bundle and the fact that it was basically the only Mario game available for the first year on the Wii U, I think NSMBU would have been an unsuccessful sequel for the same reasons as Tropical Freeze.

Yoshi's Woolly World, however, is a game that really stands out in HD and while it doesn't really change the gameplay of previous Yoshi games it does so much cool stuff with the yarn aesthetic that people are still excited. When you combine the cute factor, a very creative Amiibo, and a stunning graphical art-style people are going to be excited to buy the game just to see some of those creative visual implementations of the yarn aesthetic. When I hear about Velcro conveyor belts being used in one of the levels, I just want to buy Woolly World so I can immerse myself in that environment!

There was absolutely no buzz surrounding the Wii U at the time of Tropical Freeze's release...
Relative to the amount of buzz there was in early 2014, there's way more buzz now...
In the grand scheme of things, however, there's still next to no buzz surrounding the Wii U...

Have a nice day...

AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:

*Takes a look at Splatoon sales*

I disagree haha

Promotion isn't the only reason for Splatoon's success. The game has plenty to sell itself on already; its highly accessible, it fills a vacant niche on the console, and its word of mouth is very positive.

Three things: lower price point, Yoshi amiibo, and a release date amongst a strong 2015 release schedule allowed Woolly World to move more units.

That's good, should be a Million seller

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]