By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Woolly World on track to outsell Tropical Freeze

Nogamez said:
Well I bought DKtf fantastic game, but after that and Rayman Legends Ive kinda had my fill with 2D platformers. I never owned a wii though so I haven't played a Donkey Kong game since Donkey Kong 64.

I may pick yoshi up, just not sure if it's worth it.

Definitely worth it, great game with lots a content, and graphics are one of the best on Nintendo Wii U. My favorite 2D Wii U game.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:

Promotion isn't the only reason for Splatoon's success. The game has plenty to sell itself on already; its highly accessible, it fills a vacant niche on the console, and its word of mouth is very positive.

Sure, it's a great game! But I think it goes to show that when Nintendo really puts money into marketing, good things happen.

Oh I agree completely, Nintendo doing some actual advertising definitely helped Splatoon. I just don't think that was the only reason.

While I'm glad that Yoshi is doing ok, because I love that game, Donkey Kong deserved so much more.
It's my favorite platformer on the system, tied with Rayman Legends, even the woolly cuteness overload that is Yoshi can't change that.

Wow, Impressive ! I hope it manages to reach 2M LT...

Yoshi's Woolly World is a really fun and cute game with some challenge to it. I am really glad it is selling well. I was hoping that Retro would do something more along the lines of Metroid or something besides a platformer as I know a lot of people were hoping the same thing. I am pretty sure that affected its sales to a good degree.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

PSN ID: smj1860

Around the Network

I still haven't picked a single plateformer 2D on Wii U, I don't know which I should pick.

curl-6 said:
midrange said:

Most of the wii u's audience this gen is young kids. Most of them probably are familiar with yoshi through mario (who doesn't know about mario), while not knowing or caring as much for dk. That and the fact that rare handled dk in the past (rare being infamous for great games) gave dk a better position in the past

Actually, I'm pretty sure adult Nintendo fans outnumber kids on Wii U. 

If Wii U was effectively tapping into the "parents buying for their kids" market, its sales wouldn't be so dismal.

I disagree. I think there is a substantial number of adult Nintendo fans (10-15%), but I do think the console is ruled by a majority of younger audience. Otherwise classic follow ups (pikmin 3, Rayman legends, donkey kong tropical freeze, Xeno x) would see a lot more sales. Older Nintendo fans know that these are great games and deserve more sales, but a majority of kids don't know these franchises well (leading to slower sales)

curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:

Promotion isn't the only reason for Splatoon's success. The game has plenty to sell itself on already; its highly accessible, it fills a vacant niche on the console, and its word of mouth is very positive.

Sure, it's a great game! But I think it goes to show that when Nintendo really puts money into marketing, good things happen.

Oh I agree completely, Nintendo doing some actual advertising definitely helped Splatoon. I just don't think that was the only reason.

No, it wasn't. I didn't mean to imply that marketing is the sole reason for a game doing well. I just think that it's a huge part of it. If no one knows a game exists, it doesn't matter if it's OOT, it's not going to sell.

That's great! Both games deserve to sell at least one million. I'm surprised for Yoshi, I thought it wasn't going to sell well, after japan sales and not seeing it chart well in europe. Does anybody know how much has it sold in EU and US?

Tropical Freeze all day everyday out of these two games, im sure Yoshi is fun but if you want a hardcore platformer Tropical Freeze is the way to go, plus its Donkey Kong Nintendo's best Character by a country mile ;)