By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Woolly World on track to outsell Tropical Freeze

Edwardooo said:
I still haven't picked a single plateformer 2D on Wii U, I don't know which I should pick.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is on sale right now. It's absolutely amazing. There's also Freedom Planet. It's absolutely amazing. Shantae is metroidvania-style and Freedom Planet is the rebirth of Sonic. Both games are extremely fun, beautiful, fluid and polished.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
Edwardooo said:
I still haven't picked a single plateformer 2D on Wii U, I don't know which I should pick.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is on sale right now. It's absolutely amazing. There's also Freedom Planet. It's absolutely amazing. Shantae is metroidvania-style and Freedom Planet is the rebirth of Sonic. Both games are extremely fun, beautiful, fluid and polished.

So much yes to these two, they are amazing among my favorite platformers.

There is also Shovel Knight and Ducktales...and Yoshi...and DK...and Mario U...just buy them all XD

Yoshi is a more popular character than DK I guess?

I prefer DKC:TF as a game, it deserves more sales.

Tropical Freeze just looked too redundant. It's a beautiful game, but stylistically it's so identical to DKCR on Wii and 3DS that it didn't excite anybody. Yoshi's Woolly World, while inspired by Kirby's Epic Yarn, is aesthetically fresher.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

This could be very telling. I mean, both are exclusives of the same console, were published by the same company and are 2D plataformers.

The better game should sell more in this situation, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Yoshi is indeed cute, has a even more cute amiibo helping it and the flack against Wii U decreased a lot since that time. That's probably it.

Around the Network

Good. c:

MrYoshi said:
Yoshi is a more popular character than DK I guess?

I prefer DKC:TF as a game, it deserves more sales.

Doesn't hurt that Woolly World came with a nice looking Amiibo while Tropical Freeze came with no significant bonuses.

I have a feeling that TF was largely undone by the expectations Nintendo put behind nearly everything involved with it. Touting it before its release as "a game everyone wanted," when a sequel to DKCR was pretty low on the list of highly requested games. And then teasing that they had a big reveal at the VGAs and just showing off Cranky Kong.

Kind of a shame, as I feel like TF was a much, much better game than Wooly World, but oh well.

midrange said:
curl-6 said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure adult Nintendo fans outnumber kids on Wii U. 

If Wii U was effectively tapping into the "parents buying for their kids" market, its sales wouldn't be so dismal.

I disagree. I think there is a substantial number of adult Nintendo fans (10-15%), but I do think the console is ruled by a majority of younger audience. Otherwise classic follow ups (pikmin 3, Rayman legends, donkey kong tropical freeze, Xeno x) would see a lot more sales. Older Nintendo fans know that these are great games and deserve more sales, but a majority of kids don't know these franchises well (leading to slower sales)

If that were the case, games like Skylanders would sell far better on Wii U than they do.

AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:

Promotion isn't the only reason for Splatoon's success. The game has plenty to sell itself on already; its highly accessible, it fills a vacant niche on the console, and its word of mouth is very positive.

Sure, it's a great game! But I think it goes to show that when Nintendo really puts money into marketing, good things happen.

Oh I agree completely, Nintendo doing some actual advertising definitely helped Splatoon. I just don't think that was the only reason.

No, it wasn't. I didn't mean to imply that marketing is the sole reason for a game doing well. I just think that it's a huge part of it. If no one knows a game exists, it doesn't matter if it's OOT, it's not going to sell.

Actually Splatoon had biggest breakthrough with Testfire Demos before launch, after that people had very positive opinions on internet and we had great word of mouth. Personally after I played Testfire Demo I decided to buy game on launch and realised that Splatoon will be great new IP for Nintendo. Of Course great marketing later attract new Wii U owners (espacily in Japan), and great word of mouth continued.