By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Woolly World on track to outsell Tropical Freeze

Yes, and this is surprising! Hopefully Yoshi manages to reach 2m LT! That would be so amazing...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Not shocking, yoshi is known more among people than donkey kong. Yoshi is in almost every single mario game (including the core ones), whereas dk makes a cameo in some of the spin off titles.

Given that wooly world and tropical freeze are both platformers, it was basically yoshi vs dk in the eyes of most people

midrange said:
Not shocking, yoshi is known more among people than donkey kong.

Which is ironic, considering Mario originated in a game called...Donkey Kong.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

To be fair, the art style of wolly world is really unique, and with a cutie yoshi, its a easy sell.

Tropical freeze, on the other side, is just the same art used on returns. The game is good, for sure, but it is evident for anyone seeing it that is better than the last one? Or look more of the same? In the long run, looks sell.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Baalzamon said:
midrange said:
Not shocking, yoshi is known more among people than donkey kong.

Which is ironic, considering Mario originated in a game called...Donkey Kong.

Yeah... also weirder that throughout time, dk went from main enemy to good protagonist

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Interesting, I wonder why Tropical Freeze underperformed so much, it's a great game that deserves to sell much more than it has

TF is truly an amazing game, but is extremely difficult (especially if you like to collect special things). It makes other 2-d side scrollers look like a joke in terms of difficulty (I did beat it and did a lot of collectible things).

Wooly World has an irrisistable art style (freaking yarn...) and is EXTREMELY kid friendly (I've heard it's very easy, haven't played it yet).

Also, TF released with less install base which should always be considered.

Dulfite said:
zorg1000 said:
Interesting, I wonder why Tropical Freeze underperformed so much, it's a great game that deserves to sell much more than it has

TF is truly an amazing game, but is extremely difficult (especially if you like to collect special things). It makes other 2-d side scrollers look like a joke in terms of difficulty (I did beat it and did a lot of collectible things).

Wooly World has an irrisistable art style (freaking yarn...) and is EXTREMELY kid friendly (I've heard it's very easy, haven't played it yet).

Also, TF released with less install base which should always be considered.

Donkey Kong Country outsold Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong 64 outsold Yoshi's Story, Donkey Kong Country Returns outsold Kirby Epic Yarn (easy, similar aesthetic).

Install base at launch doesn't matter, they both have the same amount of current install base to sell to.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

midrange said:
Not shocking, yoshi is known more among people than donkey kong. Yoshi is in almost every single mario game (including the core ones), whereas dk makes a cameo in some of the spin off titles.

Given that wooly world and tropical freeze are both platformers, it was basically yoshi vs dk in the eyes of most people

Not really, Donkey Kong Country outsold Yoshi's Island on SNES, Donkey Kong 64 outsold Yoshi's Story on N64, Donkey Kong Country Returns outsold any Yoshi's game ever released so historically Donkey Kong outsells Yoshi.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
midrange said:

Not really, Donkey Kong Country outsold Yoshi's Island on SNES, Donkey Kong 64 outsold Yoshi's Story on N64, Donkey Kong Country Returns outsold any Yoshi's game ever released so historically Donkey Kong outsells Yoshi.

Most of the wii u's audience this gen is young kids. Most of them probably are familiar with yoshi through mario (who doesn't know about mario), while not knowing or caring as much for dk. That and the fact that rare handled dk in the past (rare being infamous for great games) gave dk a better position in the past

As someone who bought Woolly World, and not TF, I will say that the graphical artstyle, and the fact that Yoshi is an adorable character is what sold me.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."