By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS2 discs and digital classics not compatible on PS4 through emulator

The Fury said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
I hope this isn't true because there are many PS2 discs I would buy if it meant they worked on my PS4. And it would make it so so easy for Sony to power on those SOCOM II servers again.

You just gave the very reason they might not allow disc based emulation of PS2 games, you can't buy PS2 games new anymore, so if you buy them no money is going to Sony and turning on servers of a dead game when most users just bought the game used/already own it is just costing them money.

Eh, no. I don't buy that, because BC is a fanservice feature, it's not something meant to be a killer app and move consoles. So Sony would understand people already own these games or would buy cheap from used stores. Just like I am sure MS understands that opening up 360 BC doesn't mean they'll suddenly start selling loads of 360 games again. They just don't care, because the feature is fanservice. Which means the cost is so low it's insignificant.

It also ignores the fact that used games are part of the gaming ecosystem. Even publishers have given up on their war against used games and began embracing them. Also, if they can find a way to magically fit in trophies into games that never had them, they could surely find a way to lock online play behind PS+. So now they are making money.

Lastly, the amount of people who would fire most of these old games up aren't going to run up a bill that is going to bankrupt Sony or anything. This just seems to be what most thought it would be all along, a way for Sony to resell some games.

Around the Network

We are getting things started with a bang by launching with eight fan favorites tomorrow:

Dark Cloud — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
The Mark of Kri — $14.99
Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
War of the Monsters — $9.99

Having these titles available on PS4 is already incredibly exciting for us, but we did not stop there. We have brought these titles forward to meet today’s gaming standards by adding Trophy support! Each title’s Trophy set has been carefully developed in conjunction with feedback from the original creators to be sure that they capture the spirit and feeling of each game.

Also, you will be able to experience all of these PS2 games like never before — in up-rendered 1080p with the features you expect from a PS4 game including Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals with PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App.

And if you’re attending PlayStation Experience in San Francisco this weekend, you’ll be able to play these PS2 games on PS4 at the show floor:

Dark Cloud
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PaRappa the Rapper 2 (coming soon)
Rogue Galaxy
The King of Fighters 2000 (coming soon)
The Mark of Kri
War of the Monsters

If true, this does seem extremely greedy by Sony.

ok, seriously, fuck dat.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Legacy said:

LivingMetal said:
Legacy said:

My thoughts exactly... 14.99 forget it.

Seems this info was legit. Disappointing to say the least, then you see the prices they're charging, lulz. Seems any of us expecting a consumer friendly gesture were wildly mistaken.

Were people;e actually expecting disk to work? That takes lots of time and resources and Sony should sue those resources to give ps4 more features like friend notifications and 1st party games.

I was never expecting disk support in the first place so I'm not surprised nor disappointed by this. But I was also not expecting a resolution bump and trophy support so that's really cool. Though I really feel like Sony should honor PS1 classics and PS2 classics that were bought on the PS3.