By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS2 discs and digital classics not compatible on PS4 through emulator

At some point, I'd like to not have to rebuy the same games over and over just to play it on the newest console. That would be nice.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
I was never expecting disk support in the first place so I'm not surprised nor disappointed by this. But I was also not expecting a resolution bump and trophy support so that's really cool. Though I really feel like Sony should honor PS1 classics and PS2 classics that were bought on the PS3.

I agree. The PS2 classics are basically just a license, right? So they should be able to honor them easily... if Sony didn't just really want our money.

Also, any indication of PS1 classics would be nice. 

Brii said:
At some point, I'd like to not have to rebuy the same games over and over just to play it on the newest console. That would be nice.

With the move to x86 systems,  you'd imagine the PS5 will be 100% backward compatible with the ps4. 

Yes, well for Dark Could where they have actually done a remaster and added things like trophy support you are expecting a bit much to not have to pay for that. If it's a straight copy and paste of the old PS2 game then you might be a bit narked about having to buy it again, and you would not be wrong there.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Yes, well for Dark Could where they have actually done a remaster and added things like trophy support you are expecting a bit much to not have to pay for that. If it's a straight copy and paste of the old PS2 game then you might be a bit narked about having to buy it again, and you would not be wrong there.

I'd rather not have all the upgrades and be forced to buy a game again at $15. I should be able to play at least what I bought on the PS3 PSN in the original form without shelling out extra, and maybe pay a few dollars if I want the additional features. This is forcing me to buy the full-priced upgraded model just to be able to play what I already own.

Around the Network

If it is really true then this doesn't put a good picture on what Sony planned for the digital future. Summe people already think that as consoles are now x86 bc will be given in future consoles but now I think people should be very, very skeptical.

OneKartVita said:

With the move to x86 systems,  you'd imagine the PS5 will be 100% backward compatible with the ps4. 

Wishful thinking at best, especially when you look at all the potential revenue for remasters. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

PenguinZ said:
OneKartVita said:

Wishful thinking at best, especially when you look at all the potential revenue for remasters. 

It's a good thing most people play new games instead of old.  

I personally only bought San andreas on the Ps3 because I never played it on the ps2. The same with the God of war collection.  

The reality is this ain't a big deal outside the small hardcore online.  

Anyway I think they will but the only reason I'd buy San andreas on ps4 is if it has a boost in performance and trophies.  Otherwise I'm good.  

OneKartVita said:

It's a good thing most people play new games instead of old.  

That moment you realize that one of the best selling games on 8th gen home consoles is a remaster...

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

walsufnir said:
If it is really true then this doesn't put a good picture on what Sony planned for the digital future. Summe people already think that as consoles are now x86 bc will be given in future consoles but now I think people should be very, very skeptical.

In terms of MS you might actually be able to move your ported 360 games and all your One games to a successor.

Sony? Not sure if it's Playstation or Paystation.