By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS2 discs and digital classics not compatible on PS4 through emulator

MikeRox said:
WoodenPints said:
I hope to see a reasonably price tag on these say £10-£15 per PS2 emulated game seems reasonable to me, There is hell of a lot of JRPG's i'd love to play with Trophy support and they would make a fair bit of money from me if they decide to bring them.

£4.99-£7.99 sounds better, and is also in line with the PS2 "classics" costs on PS2. If they want to charge £10-£15, I expect more than a simple upscale and trophy support. i.e. some software optimisation to put solid frame rates into games that chugged etc.

With them upscaling to 1080p and adding trophy support I expected it to be more than the current PS2 classics but as you said I wonder if there is much optimisation if any at all.

Also is it Sony adding the trophy support or the developers? Just remember the patent Sony got before PS4 released that would allow them to add trophies to PS1/PS2 games but can't really remember anythign else about it.

Around the Network
Danman27 said:
walsufnir said:
Danman27 said:
BasilZero said:

Nope.

Straight ports.

No higher resolution, no trophy support.

I should have said ports. What I meant is that they aren't being emulated. It's ported to run on PS3, not be emulated by it. I was referencing the OP because PS2 classics obviously won't work on ps4. 

I don't own a ps3 but where is a ps2 classic different to a ps2 game you buy digitally on PSN for PS3?

It's not, but the majority of ps3s can't emulate ps2 games. What I'm saying is that it's obvious that the ps4 wouldn't support existing ps2 classics because they are technically ps3 games. 

The majority is able when hacked because it's a software emulator. It's even not one, they wrote a few and some run some games better than the other one. People actually play ps2 games on ps3 that are not a classic and they don't have the hardware bc ps3.

good thing I still have 2 PS2 and 1 60 GB PS3 B/C :D cuz i have a lot of ps2 games... If they for some new strategy make ps4 backwards compatible, I still use my ps2 or ps3 to play ps2 games... Playing ps2 games on ps4 is a hardware waste :P

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

BasilZero said:
Ruler said:

every PS3 can play every PS1 disc, here you have your answer if you want to cross between 2 generation. Why should nintendo put multiple cartridge slots into their system. We are talking about Discs here, stop damage controlling these companies

Damage control? Who am I defending? I'm not defending anyone LOL

PS1 discs can be played on PS3 I understand that but PS2 discs cant be played on the PS4 because Sony didnt enable it even though they have the capability of doing so.

I doubt Sony will enable PS2 Discs to be playable on the PS4 even if the PS4 does support the DVD format. Why? Because they can make people buy the games again digitally because what do companies do? Make money.

How is that damage control? I'm not defending Sony, I'm actually calling them out for no b/c when it is possible on the PS4.

Now what my original post says is I dont mind PS2 discs not being supported as long as PS2 classics from PS3 PSN is but the way the rumor words itself - it seems like neither is supported which is bullshit imo. We are heading towards a digital future and b/c should be pretty easy even amongst licensing issues - doesnt mean every game in a library should be excluded.

Edit: I didnt say Nintendo should put multiple cartridge slots - you are telling me from your last post that they already did hence why I asked you how they can do that, dont put words in my mouth - Dont make me get out my Meter stick you Ruler!

Edit 2: You must have a interesting definition for "Damage Control". That or you just have a huge language barrier issue.

you do like its excaptable to not support BC for disc based games and make excuses with your argumentation, rediculating my Demands from Sony, here are examples

So...are you saying I can play my SNES/N64 cartridges and my gamecube's discs on my WiiU?

Or my GBC/GBA cartridges on my 3DS?

Because if you can, please tell me how.

it wasnt my argument that everything should be BC just that Discs should be support for the games who are BC. 

Ruler said:
lol this random pic from the internet proves everything

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150428

Around the Network

It's weird how this industry works. Don't do something and you're seen in a positive light. Do something nobody thought would be done and be seen as the devil.

'Next week I'm going to give you £10!'
'I'm gong to get £10 for free?'
'Yes, that's the plan.'
'Thanks for the heads up, I didn't expect that!'

A week later:

'Sorry but we can only give you £5.'
'Fuck you, you greedy bastard!'

The PS5 Exists. 

MikeRox said:
If they're adding trophies etc. even via emulation, it does mean that changes to the original game code might be needed to trigger these. If that was the case, the original PS2 discs would be no good because the code would be different.

If you already have the discs, you surely already have a PS2 to play the original games from? In which case no loss. If you don't, you are now getting access to another platform's software from the same box you already own for a few quid.

Now that I own a PS4, I have five consoles that I regularly play. It's an inconvience to constantly switch inputs on my TV, and a lot a space is taken up by these consoles. Also, it would be nice to have a new console with its level of availability and warranty be able to play my old games, so I won't feel like I have to buy an overpriced PS2 with no manufacter's warranty should my current one ever fail. It's quite old, so that's a real concern.

For me, the future-proofing for the older games I own and love is most important to me. I'd hate to find myself in a position where I couldn't easily access a way to play those games.

Isn't it better to wait for official confirmation from Sony?

Puppyroach said:
Isn't it better to wait for official confirmation from Sony?

No.  Its important to let them know how people feel about this.

Legacy said:
Ruler said:
lol this random pic from the internet proves everything

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150428

I just want to point out 2 things:
1.) We don't know who actually posted that "video". I have yet to see the name of the poser, let alone actual images of the gameplay to validate the video.
2.) The phrasing (if real) doesn't really make sense in the interpretation people are assigning it. If the PS2 games they are going to launch onto PSN are not PS2 Classics, nor actual BC -- then they aren't exactly BC and its pointless for them to put that disclaimer in there.

IF this is real - I wonder if they are going to launch an addon device that you can plug into the PS4 via a USB port. The device itself allows for hardware emulation of the older games.