By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For Cloud Based Game Platforms (NX?)

Cloud based could effectively end the "hardware wars" pissing match too ... a person with a $99 box could have high end graphics without needing to upgrade the box provided their internet connection is decent and they have enough NX "servers" around them.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pavolink said:

Thanks! Can we attach a controller to that device that streams the games?

Yes of course. This is DQX being played on the 3DS by the way ... the graphics/music/etc. are rendered via the cloud, but the controls are local:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeuGsJMrzw

I mean, a normal controller, other than a handheld? Can we stream for example to a TV and play with a game controller?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Sounds interesting...

Hopefully this doesn't mean online all the time though, because that would be really annoying

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:
Pavolink said:

Thanks! Can we attach a controller to that device that streams the games?

Yes of course. This is DQX being played on the 3DS by the way ... the graphics/music/etc. are rendered via the cloud, but the controls are local:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeuGsJMrzw

I mean, a normal controller, other than a handheld? Can we stream for example to a TV and play with a game controller?

Yup it's doable. PSNow, Steam, and other services do it already without much fuss. 

Soundwave said:

Yup it's doable. PSNow, Steam, and other services do it already without much fuss. 

Woop! That's exciting!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Yeah to be honest they could (note I said could) in theory have a "console box" that's $99 or even less than that, but that model would require games to be streamed via the Cloud (maybe some rudimentary hardware for Virtual Console locally). 

Hopefully it doesn't require access to the cloud (Cloud is in smash yay!) to work. I'm guessing there would be a subscription model for it and you could only get access to a certain level of power by being connected...some games might not even work at all without that extra power.

Lube Me Up

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Hopefully it doesn't require access to the cloud (Cloud is in smash yay!) to work. I'm guessing there would be a subscription model for it and you could only get access to a certain level of power by being connected...some games might not even work at all without that extra power.

If you buy the cheapo $99 model I think it's fair that you obviously need the Cloud and for that a subscription fee (a small one) could then reimburse the people who own the high end system that you're "leeching" off of in effect. 

That's fair for everyone IMO. I would gladly buy the most expensive model if I was getting monthly payback/rewards from Nintendo. 

It's actually a pretty smart set up if Nintendo can get it to work. It would be a potentially revolutionary business model that would completely change the business in many ways. 

Soundwave said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

If you buy the cheapo $99 model I think it's fair that you obviously need the Cloud and for that a subscription fee (a small one) could then reimburse the people who own the high end system that you're "leeching" off of in effect. 

That's fair for everyone IMO. I would gladly buy the most expensive model if I was getting monthly payback/rewards from Nintendo. 

It's actually a pretty smart set up if Nintendo can get it to work. 

In that case, Nintendo might have to cut the price of their games quicker.  We all know they like to keep the prices of their games high for forever, but if they're going this route then it's going to bring aboard a different audience than they're used to.  
t

Lube Me Up

Wait, so is NX an external GPU for the Wii U?