By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For Cloud Based Game Platforms (NX?)

teigaga said:

"Also cloud based Game Platfrorms" is probably a tad misleading as the patent shows the primary use of the supplementary power device is through locally connecting the hardware (not wifi)

Actually what's described in the patent is far more than "just an add-on". It's cloud computing basically, being able to share computing resources over an internet connection. 

This is actually a really interesting part and fits Nintendo's other talk of a "reward based" network. 

[0013] In some instances, a user may be compensated based on an amount (e.g., time, raw resources, etc.) that the user shares his or her supplemental computing device or indicates that he or she is willing to share the supplemental computing device. This compensation may comprise any form of value, include access (e.g., time) to other supplemental computing devices maintained by other users, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, information for display (e.g., as a badge) on a social network, or the like.

You could be reimbursed for sharing your "extra power" via (basically) a cloud network. No one is doing anything like that right now, not in the console game space anyway. 

This sounds very much like a pooled resource of hardware power. If Nintendo actually follows through with this, it will change the nature of the console hardware business IMO. The 5 year traditional hardware cycle for one could be very much moot. It's also smart for them because they will be future proofed versus the PS5/XB2. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
teigaga said:

"Also cloud based Game Platfrorms" is probably a tad misleading as the patent shows the primary use of the supplementary power device is through locally connecting the hardware (not wifi)

Actually what's described in the patent is far more than "just an add-on". It's cloud computing basically, being able to share computing resources over an internet connection. 

This is actually a really interesting part and fits Nintendo's other talk of a "reward based" network. 

[0013] In some instances, a user may be compensated based on an amount (e.g., time, raw resources, etc.) that the user shares his or her supplemental computing device or indicates that he or she is willing to share the supplemental computing device. This compensation may comprise any form of value, include access (e.g., time) to other supplemental computing devices maintained by other users, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, information for display (e.g., as a badge) on a social network, or the like.

You could be reimbursed for sharing your "extra power" via (basically) a cloud network. No one is doing anything like that right now, not in the console game space anyway. 

This sounds very much like a pooled resource of hardware power. If Nintendo actually follows through with this, it will change the nature of the console hardware business IMO. The 5 year traditional hardware cycle for one could be very much moot. It's also smart for them because they will be future proofed versus the PS5/XB2. 

If I have to be honest, I'm not entirely sold on this "sharing extra power" concept. As someone rightfully suggested, internet connections are mostly not fast and reliable enough to share gpu code real-time. Probably this could work only on a local enviroment. Imo this sharing the SCD thing semply means letting it be used as an host server for online games by other players, and being rewarded for it. In fact, the patent example refers to hours of sharing as the measure for rewarding, as opposed to bitcoin mining which depends on the employed computational power.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just gotta tag it so I can read what you guys have to say about all of this. I completely missed this news when it first came out

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.