By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For Cloud Based Game Platforms (NX?)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150086

Basically shows a Nintendo "console", but it can attach to a "supplemental computing device" which makes it more powerful. This extra power can then even be distributed via the cloud.

That could hint very strongly at multiple types of NX devices at varying horsepower or a (cheap?) central NX device that can be upgraded locally for more power and then that power can also be shared via the cloud with the person having the more powerful setup being reimbursed somehow (Nintendo Account points)?

Perhaps the NX can hook up to a home PC as "supplemental computing device"? 

That means maybe in theory you could do things like run your NX games at 4K resolution if you have a very powerful PC in the house or something. 

Around the Network

From the patent. The main console hooks up to a "supplemental computing device". So maybe the "dock" idea wasn't completely wrong. 

This may mean NX is a platform that continually evolves and is not your typical "now this box is 5 years old and outdated" type thing. Could be smart. 

It also means the general user community of people who just own the "basic NX" could via the cloud enjoy some of the higher end games ... like say they want to play a high-end third party game now and again but mainly just play the standard Nintendo games. Well they could enjoy that higher-end game through the cloud without having to spend big $$$ on hardware. 

Soundwave said:

Basically shows a Nintendo "console", but it can attach to a "supplemental computing device" which makes it more powerful. This extra power can then even be distributed via the cloud.

That could hint very strongly at multiple types of NX devices at varying horsepower or a (cheap?) central NX device that can be upgraded locally for more power and then that power can also be shared via the cloud with the person having the more powerful setup being reimbursed somehow (Nintendo Account points)?

That means maybe in theory you could do things like run your NX games at 4K resolution if you have a very powerful PC in the house or something. 

How's this, it could also be in thoery for the portable sku to be able to run home variants of games that are reliant on specs higher then itself, I agree this could be a means to have cheaper skus. Remember the patent months back, it mentioned devices reading and communicating with each other, maybe the portable can sync with the home console and play installed games using this.

Ohhh Nintendo... how you love your peripherals...

Seriously, I hope that whatever it is, it will be included with the console because if it's an additional peripheral it's going to be used for a few select games like every other peripheral before it.

Signature goes here!

This (what you're proposing) would a colossal fuck up and probably spell the end of Nintendo as a home console manufacturer so no, I don't think this is going to happen.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Soundwave said:

How's this, it could also be in thoery for the portable sku to be able to run home variants of games that are reliant on specs higher then itself, I agree this could be a means to have cheaper skus. Remember the patent months back, it mentioned devices reading and communicating with each other, maybe the portable can sync with the home console and play installed games using this.

It kinda does hint at what I've suspected for a while ... NX will be more than just the standard "one handheld and one console" 1980s style hardware model. It will be more flexible than that, people who want more horsepower will be able to get that, people who just want a cheap device to play Nintendo games on and the occassional third party game will be able to get that too. 

I wonder if the portable + base console will have the same chip (kind of like the Vita + Vita TV only much more powerful) ... then you buy the "supplemental gaming device" to add-on to the portable or base console and play games with much higher end graphics. 

NX Base Console - Mini-NX chip about as powerful as Wii U, $179.99

NX Portable - Same Mini-NX chip as above but can be played on the road, $219.99

NX Supplemental Super Dock - $249.99, allows for very high end graphics, can share this extra power via cloud. 

I was reading this on Neogaf. It's intresting but at the moment it's just a concept. It could be intended in different ways. Maybe the game console is NX and the "supplemental computing device" is a PC or maybe the latter is NX and the game console is a WiiU or the 3DS successor. Or again, the game console could be a casual AppleTV-like device and the SCD another device made by Nintendo to give it Ps4/X1 league graphics. Only time will tell.

freebs2 said:
I was reading this on Neogaf. It's intresting but at the moment it's just a concept. It could be intended in different ways. Maybe the game console is NX and the "supplemental computing device" is a PC or maybe the latter is NX and the game console is a WiiU or the 3DS successor. Or again, the game console could be a casual AppleTV-like device and the SCD another device made by Nintendo to give it Ps4/X1 league graphics. Only time will tell.

Or even beyond PS4/XB1 graphics. 

Soundwave said:
freebs2 said:

Yes, but you still have to consider most current X1/Ps4 users don't care that much about Nintendo. This hypotetical thing shouldn't cost more than a Ps4 overall when it launches.

A common PC as the SCD seems like the best soultion imo, but I don't know if it's feasible. Or even better, let the user choose between buying an SCD made by Nintendo or using his own computer as an SCD.

freebs2 said:
Soundwave said:
freebs2 said:

Yes, but you still have to consider most current X1/Ps4 users don't care that much about Nintendo. This hypotetical thing shouldn't cost more than a Ps4 overall when it launches.

A common PC as the SCD seems like the best soultion imo, but I don't know if it's feasible. Or even better, let the user choose between buying an SCD made by Nintendo or using his own computer as an SCD.

Perhaps AMD could release a line of "NX Approved" PC GPUs, that the user can then use to supplement their base NX. That could work too, assuming NX has a AMD GPU which can interface, but it looks like from the patent the interface requires a physical link up, which might be a bit of a pain in the ass with a PC. 

The Super Device I think maybe should just be aimed at enthusiasts. It's not something the casual/normal player who doesn't care that much about graphics needs, but for the people that have the money and desire to have that ... hey great. 

Nintendo can't make the console that Nintendo "fans" here think they should make ... basically that would be a Nintendo PS4 released in 2017 (four years late) ... that system will get *slaughtered*. They need to think outside the box and be more flexible with their hardware offering. One size fits all doesn't work for Nintendo because there's too many conflicting demographics they're trying to please simulatenously.