By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For Cloud Based Game Platforms (NX?)

I've been sort of playing with this idea in my head for months now, that they could have the Handheld and console counterparts of the NX work toghether to give more juice to the games overall, while keeping the price down.
I'm not technically savy enough to know if thats actually possible, so I stayed quiet about it.

The way it worked in my head is, if you take, say, Mario Kart, everyone could bring their portable NX as a controller and have their own screen instead of Splitscreen (even if you might not like that idea :P), the individual handhelds would all hook up toghether to render their own screens in 60 fps and would get additional power from the home console for more graphical flourish. That way the console doesn't need to carry the whole load of rendering the game twice to eight times like the wiiU currently does, whenever streaming o the gamepad. The more Nx handhelds you get toghether with the main console, the stronger it gets.
Problem is, I imagine, that's probably pie in the sky talk, and might not even be technically possible. And even if it is, it might be very complicated to program for, like I said I have no idea, as I'm not technically versed enough to know.

Now they come out with this patent, wich, while obviously not the same idea, has similaritys to mine, so I'm highly interested to see where it goes from here.
Nintendo might have reason to be confident with their next console.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
If Nintendo goes through with this it will more than likely be their last console. But there is no way Nintendo is going to do this so I am not to worried about it. If you thought the idea of a Wii U confused people just wait until this thing released lol

People aren't that stupid, they understand things like new yearly iPhones, Samsung phones, iPad differences, 10 different Macbook models, etc. etc. and the people who are so stupid that they can't fanthom the idea of video games with different settings ... well there's a simple solution to that ... just buy the cheap base model and be happy with your 540-720p graphics. You probably don't know any better and will be just fine playing like that. 

Wii U wasn't confusing. It was just an undesirable product. What about the Wii U is more confusing than "3DS"? One has managed to have solid market success at least while the other is a flop. Wii U just isn't a great product and certainly not the product the market wanted for 2012 and beyond that's its problem.

SuperNova said:

I've been sort of playing with this idea in my head for months now, that they could have the Handheld and console counterparts of the NX work toghether to give more juice to the games overall, while keeping the price down.
I'm not technically savy enough to know if thats actually possible, so I stayed quiet about it.
The way it worked in my head is, if you take, say, Mario Kart, everyone could bring their portable NX as a controller and have their own screen instead of Splitscreen (even if you might not like that idea :P), the individual handhelds would all hook up toghether to render their own screens in 60 fps and would get additional power from the home console for more graphical flourish. That way the console doesn't need to carry the whole load of rendering the game twice to eight times like the wiiU currently does, whenever streaming o the gamepad. The more Nx handhelds you get toghether with the main console, the stronger it gets.
Problem is, I imagine that's probably pie in the sky talk, and might not even be technically possible. And even if it is, it might be very complicated to program for, like I said I have not idea, as I'm not technically versed enough to know.

Now they come out with this patent, wich, while obviously not the same idea, has similaritys to mine, so I'm highly interested to see where it goes from here.
Nintendo might have reason to be confident with their next console.

Pretty sure it's fairly possible and even easy to do. Dual-linking GPUs in PC rigs has been done for years now and is common practice in the PC scene to get greater performance. 

Effectively the people buying this higher end "supplement hardware" are basically becoming servers for Nintendo. Nintendo can use those devices as a server, and the people who buy them according to this patent would even be rewarded by Nintendo for doing so. 

That's also an interesting part of the patent. So basically the consumers end up buying the server hardware for Nintendo's Cloud network, and Nintendo pays them back with the benefit of having better hardware and giving them free rewards. 

That's ... different and interesting. 

Soundwave said:
freebs2 said:
Soundwave said:
freebs2 said:
I was reading this on Neogaf. It's intresting but at the moment it's just a concept. It could be intended in different ways. Maybe the game console is NX and the "supplemental computing device" is a PC or maybe the latter is NX and the game console is a WiiU or the 3DS successor. Or again, the game console could be a casual AppleTV-like device and the SCD another device made by Nintendo to give it Ps4/X1 league graphics. Only time will tell.

Or even beyond PS4/XB1 graphics. 

Yes, but you still have to consider most current X1/Ps4 users don't care that much about Nintendo. This hypotetical thing shouldn't cost more than a Ps4 overall when it launches.

A common PC as the SCD seems like the best soultion imo, but I don't know if it's feasible. Or even better, let the user choose between buying an SCD made by Nintendo or using his own computer as an SCD.

Perhaps AMD could release a line of "NX Approved" PC GPUs, that the user can then use to supplement their base NX.

Not out of the realm of posibility.  Alienware laptops do have their interal GPU and now you can buy a very small compact box for the new ones that have a desktop GPU in them to boost the gfx. Kind of liek playing on high settings vs ultra high settings.

Cobretti2 said:
Soundwave said:

Perhaps AMD could release a line of "NX Approved" PC GPUs, that the user can then use to supplement their base NX.

Not out of the realm of posibility.  Alienware laptops do have their interal GPU and now you can buy a very small compact box for the new ones that have a deskpop GPU in them to boost the gfx.

They could just release a console without a GPU and the consumer can then choose which they want out of lower, medium and higher tier.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Cobretti2 said:

Not out of the realm of posibility.  Alienware laptops do have their interal GPU and now you can buy a very small compact box for the new ones that have a deskpop GPU in them to boost the gfx.

They could just release a console without a GPU and the consumer can then choose which they want out of lower, medium and higher tier.

THey could, but look at it this way, this creates a secondary market for gamers.

So say you can't afford the extension new, in 2018 NIntendo releases a new GPU upgrade. I may want to upgrade, then I can sell my old one  to someone else.

So base NX potentially has the power somewhere between  X1 and PS4 (or PS4 level),  the GPU makes it a Ultra HIgh PC setting,  The 2018 upgraded GPU extension may make it 4K resolution who knows.

Pavolink said:
Can you explain to me in a more easy way? I understand few tidbits but have not get the full picture

One device streams the game to another device that the player is playing remotely, the latter can play games that are designed for more powerful hardware this way. DQX on 3DS is played this way and Steam also has this feature.

Yeah I could see this working ... especially if Nintendo wants to give me free games/Amiibos/gear for being a "NX Pro Server" ...

Other Nintendo users can use my "extra power" ... I get all these benefits plus top end graphics for my games?

Sign me up. Nintendo saves a ton on server costs since their own users would effectively be providing their cloud servers for them. Lol, it's a pretty smart setup actually. 

Wyrdness said:
Pavolink said:
Can you explain to me in a more easy way? I understand few tidbits but have not get the full picture

One device streams the game to another device that the player is playing remotely, the latter can play games that are designed for more powerful hardware this way. DQX on 3DS is played this way and Steam also has this feature.

Thanks! Can we attach a controller to that device that streams the games?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Wyrdness said:

Thanks! Can we attach a controller to that device that streams the games?

Yes of course. This is DQX being played on the 3DS by the way ... the graphics/music/etc. are rendered via the cloud, but the controls are local:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeuGsJMrzw