By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: People is picking Amiibos in the wrong way (as collectable items)

I told you...

Agree, it's just DLC 36 39.13%

No, he is lying 19 20.65%

The world is a lie 19 20.65%

Amiibo Festival FTW 17 18.48%

Total:91
Neodegenerate said:

Yes, they want you to buy a collectible that you can use for DLC.  You make it sound like it is this evil plan when in reality it is smart business.

Nintendo = smart business

Any other company = moneygrab

Im 999% sure that if EA were to anounce the EA version of amiibos tomorrow the internet would go into a meltdown and start cursing the company saying how theyre just trying to sell us DLC in disguise etc. In reality its somewhere down the middle, it is smart business but its also trying to squeeze ppl's money.

Also come on, how did anyone not see ppl wanting to buy this for colectible purposes, Nintendo execs it was super obvious, dont pretend you dindt want ppl to do it cause its a very obvious selling point for them.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Darwinianevolution said:
What is wrong with amiibo being bought for the figurine? Some of those are really well done, specially the cartoony ones. The money goes to Nintendo's pockets anyway, so what's the problem?

The problem is that people is in denial that Amiibo figurines are DLC.

Yeah pretty much this.  Nintendo fans are buying them mostly for the right reasons but Nintendo have admitted the cynical reason behind them.  This is the worst type of paid dlc I've ever heard of.  

I remember people used to go on about Nintendos ethics for not charging for online,  dlc etc.  Well they've the worst form of dlc and will probably charge for online next gen.  

OneKartVita said:
Pavolink said:

The problem is that people is in denial that Amiibo figurines are DLC.

Yeah pretty much this.  Nintendo fans are buying them mostly for the right reasons but Nintendo have admitted the cynical reason behind them.  This is the worst type of paid dlc I've ever heard of.  

I remember people used to go on about Nintendos ethics for not charging for online,  dlc etc.  Well they've the worst form of dlc and will probably charge for online next gen.  

Yeah, we are all crying because we cannot dress our Mii like kirby in Mk8 because amiibo. Worst dlc ever done, BY FAR. 

Then there is the 50% more of content for just 12$ and the free updates like 200cc mode, but who cares, we want our Kirby Mii for free  #GiveMiiMyKirbyCostume4FreeNintendo

DakonBlackblade said:
Neodegenerate said:

Yes, they want you to buy a collectible that you can use for DLC.  You make it sound like it is this evil plan when in reality it is smart business.

Nintendo = smart business

Any other company = moneygrab

Im 999% sure that if EA were to anounce the EA version of amiibos tomorrow the internet would go into a meltdown and start cursing the company saying how theyre just trying to sell us DLC in disguise etc. In reality its somewhere down the middle, it is smart business but its also trying to squeeze ppl's money.

Also come on, how did anyone not see ppl wanting to buy this for colectible purposes, Nintendo execs it was super obvious, dont pretend you dindt want ppl to do it cause its a very obvious selling point for them.

With the rising costs of game production and the stagnant base price of video games I feel that non-essential DLC is a great, smart practice by any company, EA included.

This was the worst news out of the interview. So far the Amiibos made some money for Nintendo and there wasn't a lot of interesting content behind them. Making amiibos collectables is the best for both Nintendo and the consumer.

Around the Network

I called this a while back. This also explains why Nintendo kept running out of stock (along with other reasons like the strike). The amiibo, when they were launched, were meant to be used alongside the Wii U. Of course they aren't going to make them by the boatloads because the primary userbase is so small.
As for them being DLC, basically. But to me it's a much better kind than the good being all digital and you actually get something physical out of the deal.

I just find you people who are determined to hate on the amiibos to be so silly. In just about every game I can think of, amiibo provide some minor little addition to the game that, often, I don't even bother using. The only game i've really seen them implemented heavily into is Super Smash Bros, and that was certainly a complete game without them anyway.

They definitely have a "DLC" aspect to them, but they're rather different in some ways as well. Mainly, you get a fun little figurine to go along with it, and it can be used across many games as opposed to just one. Otherwise, for most games you'd never even realize you were missing out on anything and, after seeing what it does, might not even haven my interest in whatever it adds.

They certainly walk a fine line between the amiibo being pointless and they being too useful to the point that it's necessary day 1 dlc, but I think theyve done it well so far. What I'd like to see them do, though, is come up with abother game or two  (preferably ones that are actually good) that is specifically designed for amiibo (and make no claims otherwise) so that they have some serious use in games intended for them while just bringing a little extra flavor to the other games. Can't say I've liked the games they've released targeting the amiibo so far.

Otherwise, the existence of amiibo has not affected the experience for people without them in nearly all of theirs games so far... There's no need to hate them, just don't get them.

Goodnightmoon said:
OneKartVita said:

Yeah, we are all crying because we cannot dress our Mii like kirby in Mk8 because amiibo. Worst dlc ever done, BY FAR. 

Then there is the 50% more of content for just 12$ and the free updates like 200cc mode, but who cares, we want our Kirby Mii for free  #GiveMiiMyKirbyCostume4FreeNintendo

Correct.  It's the worst ever by far.  So bad that nobody is even buying it for the dlc as Nintendo themselves say.  

The problem with amiibo as Dlc is that they don't look attactive. Imo the content locked behind them should also be available on the normal store front, for people that don't want them and for everyone to see the pices set by Nintendo. Especially with the multiple game angle Amiibo should be the kind of deal where it's overpriced if you only use it on one game, but if you get two or three Dlcs in diffrent games with it is has to start looking like deal.

Someone mentioned a that good use would be that if you buy a Cloud Amiibo, you would get the Smash character dlc included, and I agree. Cloud is not locked behind the figurine, you can still get him on the storefront, but it comes with the figurine as well. Now you add value to that with cloud themed dlc in other games and suddenly it looks like a deal instead of a bother.

I also agree that they really have to give them their own hub game and do something more with their data transfer ability, because that is criminally underused.

Since they have neither their dlc aspect, nor their interaction aspect fully realized, they provide the most value as a collectors item. They are nice little figurines for 13$ and provide very little other incentive to buy them.

oniyide said:

Instead of just doing DLC like a normal company they wanna attach it to figures and are perplexed when no one is using it as DLC. Classic

I don't think you can really say this is "different" when Activision, Disney, and LEGO are all doing more or less the same thing with their lines of figurines.