By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: People is picking Amiibos in the wrong way (as collectable items)

I told you...

Agree, it's just DLC 36 39.13%

No, he is lying 19 20.65%

The world is a lie 19 20.65%

Amiibo Festival FTW 17 18.48%

Total:91

I think the problem here is Nintendo themselves.
We need that Amiibo Game for the NX at Launch!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

My money's on the person who made this thread.

I don't care for those companies. I care for Nintendo. I don't want to buy "figurines" to be able to unlock the water tunic for Link or the gravity suit for Samus. Unfortunately, Wolf Link is a treat for my delusional dream where I have access to all the content on the disk I already paid without the need to buy a "collectible".

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
2Quick said:
Yes Amiibos can be viewed as DLC, but what is inherently wrong with DLC? IMO Nothing if the DLC is is a good value and doesn't subtract from the value of the regular game. Great examples of DLC include Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare or GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony.

So far, Nintendo has not released any games (that I have played) where most content is amiibo locked. In fact, the value of an amiibo seems to go up as time goes on, as compatible games increase in quantity. If you think that the quality of the DLC that comes with the amiibo is poor (i.e. a skin for yoshi wooly world) you should also take into account that these rewards seem to add with each new game (amiibos now can give you skins for mario kart, SMM, Yoshi, and others I think).

Also with Amiibos, you have a tangible representation of your DLC. Unlike other DLC, you can resell it, trade it, etc. it doest have any DRM. Id rather have all DLC be physical if it meant I could sell it eventually.

Full disclosure: I have Mario Kart 8, Smash, and splatoon that use amiibos. I haven't played mario party, or amiibo festival, so I don't know if those games handle amiibos very poorly or not

Mario Party: 1/3 of the game locked

Amiibo Festival: the entire game

Zelda TPHD: Data will transfer to Zelda HD (We don't know exactly what or how much)

Bear in mind that Nintendo are not selling any version of Amiibo Festival without Amiibos, so DLC wouldn't be the right word to describe the Isabelle and Digby amiibos in that game.

BasilZero said:
Who cares what they used it for.

If its selling - its a strong point.

I think he's saying that the main consumer segment is taking them home and putting them on a shelf.  Obviously it's good that they're selling but they seem to want people to use them and show off the "DLC" aspect to others, who would then go out and buy their own Amiibo.  Basically, they want Amiibo to sell to people who are interested in the functionality, not just super-fans who buy for their collection.  One is a path to growth, the other not as much.

I think they wanted Amiibo to go viral and pull in new customers.  They wanted that Skylanders effect.  Kids, especially, will buy what other kids are playing with and your product adoption rate will grow exponentially.  My guess is that growth is more flat than hoped for and they're looking at 20 year old hardcore Nintendo fans buying them all up rather than 12 year olds who become new fans because of Amiibo exposure.

Cream147 said:

Bear in mind that Nintendo are not selling any version of Amiibo Festival without Amiibos, so DLC wouldn't be the right word to describe the Isabelle and Digby amiibos in that game.

If I want to play with another, let's say, 2 characters more?

Around the Network
pokoko said:
BasilZero said:
Who cares what they used it for.

If its selling - its a strong point.

I think he's saying that the main consumer segment is taking them home and putting them on a shelf.  Obviously it's good that they're selling but they seem to want people to use them and show off the "DLC" aspect to others, who would then go out and buy their own Amiibo.  Basically, they want Amiibo to sell to people who are interested in the functionality, not just super-fans who buy for their collection.  One is a path to growth, the other not as much.

I think they wanted Amiibo to go viral and pull in new customers.  They wanted that Skylanders effect.  Kids, especially, will buy what other kids are playing with and your product adoption rate will grow exponentially.  My guess is that growth is more flat than hoped for and they're looking at 20 year old hardcore Nintendo fans buying them all up rather than 12 year olds who become new fans because of Amiibo exposure.

And what we can guess that they are going to do to reach this goal (because you explained very well)? Let's lock more content behind it, let's develop more games that needs them, let's focus more resources in amiibos, etc.

Pavolink said:
noname2200 said:

I don't care for those companies. I care for Nintendo. I don't want to buy "figurines" to be able to unlock the water tunic for Link or the gravity suit for Samus. Unfortunately, Wolf Link is a treat for my delusional dream where I have access to all the content on the disk I already paid without the need to buy a "collectible".

This type of mentality is grossly misleading.  What you paid for isn't every scrap of data on the disc.  What you paid for is the initial vision of the game that they put out.  If they have additional content on the disc that is REQUIRED for you to play and ultimately complete the game then their actions would indeed be abhorrent.  However, I have yet to see paywall gamehalting DLC on the disc on any game from any company, ever.

However, if you are going to tell me that your gaming experience is ruined because you can't get a specific skin that they locked behind the amiibo then you might have the wrong priorities in what you want in a game.

Neodegenerate said:
Pavolink said:
noname2200 said:

This type of mentality is grossly misleading.  What you paid for isn't every scrap of data on the disc.  What you paid for is the initial vision of the game that they put out.  If they have additional content on the disc that is REQUIRED for you to play and ultimately complete the game then their actions would indeed be abhorrent.  However, I have yet to see paywall gamehalting DLC on the disc on any game from any company, ever.

However, if you are going to tell me that your gaming experience is ruined because you can't get a specific skin that they locked behind the amiibo then you might have the wrong priorities in what you want in a game.

I already paid for that custom. Why do I need to pay for it again?

Pavolink said:
Neodegenerate said:
Pavolink said:
noname2200 said:

I already paid for that custom. Why do I need to pay for it again?

No, you actually didn't.  That's the part you are missing on this.  You feel entitled to the full content of a disc when the reality is that the developer of the software decides what you get access to and why.

Neodegenerate said:

No, you actually didn't.  That's the part you are missing on this.  You feel entitled to the full content of a disc when the reality is that the developer of the software decides what you get access to and why.

Really, DLC is a smart bussines.