By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why FFVII Remake Should Keep Turn-Based Battles

WC4Life said:
The Fury said:
They won't. They'll remove the cross dressing, the jokes, the fun, they'll make it emo somehow.

I fear Nomura tries to make the game take itself too seriously and the whole game ends up trying too hard to be worthy of a classic.

Threadly reminder that the whole creative team is the same as the original game (with a few missing people).

If they did it once they don't need to try too hard to be worthy of their classic.

Around the Network

Nomura is lead developer right? He's gonna tear that battle system to shreds and rebuild it. That's what Nomura does.

Cloudman said:
DakonBlackblade said:
Cloudman said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Cloudman said:
I wonder more how they will handle the death of Aerith. I wonder if there will be a point in using her if she is just going to die later o:

That spoiler man.

It is an old game, so I'm sure most people know about it, but I will cover them x )

Im 99% sure hes just trolling you guys. But Cloudman makes an interesting point, I for one would only ever play her in my party if there is some trophy conected to it, otherwise I wont waste the effort.

I am kinda joking around, but I did legitly think about that. I have heard of some people being upset on using her, but then losing her and her exp or something. Or is it possible to transfer that exp to someone else? Grandia II did it x )

There's no need to worry about EXP in FF7.  That's one of the great things about the game; it doesn't take too long to be powerful, but IMO it's balanced on how long it takes instead of the usual insane grind FF's have had before and after FF7-FF10.  On the other hand FF7R will probably have a different take on leveling up...probably for the worst if I had to guess.  I fear it will take forever to get the good shit, although it is a Nomura game so it might not be like FF12 and FF13.  I'm just basing this off of how FF games have been lately.  

They stopped adopting the Nintendo ease of access for leveling up like in SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and FF7-10, which sucks for us.

Lube Me Up

Imnus said:
If it's Turn-Based it's gonna flop horribly, there's just no point anymore to have Turn-base on RPGs unless it's Tactical like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM.

Turn-based battle systems are incredible boring, repetitive and require no skill or intelligence to play. In theory you could create a turn-based RPG that's actually challenging, but they never do, they only challenge is mindless doing the same thing a thousand times over and over.

Now the real problem is that Square's ARPG (Kingdom Hearts) is also pretty awful, and in a world where Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma exist I'm not putting a 100 hours in a game with crappy battle mechanics, maybe I could put out with something as bad as The Witcher 3 if the rest of the game is great, but any worse than that and I'm out.

To be perfectly honest, the best FF games were not all that challenging (FF6-FF10), although really it's FF7-FF10 if you consider sales and critical acclaim, plus they were definitely easier than FF4-FF6 and FF12/FF13.  

Despite the crap FFXIII and FFXII get for instance, they're both pretty difficult games to beat.  Some people have an easier time than others, but they're definitely hard for FF games.

Lube Me Up

Like Nomura said, "But the original is out again: The "HD" PC version is coming to PS4 already. We don't need two of the same thing. Even if we beautified and upgraded the visuals -- something that's bound to happen. If it's a full remake, then of course, we want to take a different approach. If we actually just upgraded the visuals -- there'd be no need for me to direct it."

Around the Network

i hope they remove it , i hate turn based games

gintama said:

i hope they remove it , i hate turn based games

Alot of action rpgs combat systems suck just as badly or more so than the traditional turn based ones.

If they have to go action rpg, I hope they make it alot like Xenoblade Chronicles.

I didnt really like the combat system in FF12 and 13 that much.

I feel like its a much safer bet to go turn based atleast for this remake.

You dont want to piss off your core fans, and the glory days of Final fantasy where all from the 6-10 games, which where turn based.

After it went more action ish, it went down hill.

Augen said:
Imnus said:
If it's Turn-Based it's gonna flop horribly, there's just no point anymore to have Turn-base on RPGs unless it's Tactical like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM.

Turn-based battle systems are incredible boring, repetitive and require no skill or intelligence to play. In theory you could create a turn-based RPG that's actually challenging, but they never do, they only challenge is mindless doing the same thing a thousand times over and over.

Now the real problem is that Square's ARPG (Kingdom Hearts) is also pretty awful, and in a world where Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma exist I'm not putting a 100 hours in a game with crappy battle mechanics, maybe I could put out with something as bad as The Witcher 3 if the rest of the game is great, but any worse than that and I'm out.

Perfect example of challenging turn based combat that encourages planning. 

Yeees, one of my all time fav RPGs... x ) Yeah, I agree there.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Imnus said:

Oh, they exist, but people pretend they don't.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Cloudman said:
DakonBlackblade said:
Cloudman said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Cloudman said:
I wonder more how they will handle the death of Aerith. I wonder if there will be a point in using her if she is just going to die later o:

That spoiler man.

It is an old game, so I'm sure most people know about it, but I will cover them x )

Im 99% sure hes just trolling you guys. But Cloudman makes an interesting point, I for one would only ever play her in my party if there is some trophy conected to it, otherwise I wont waste the effort.

I am kinda joking around, but I did legitly think about that. I have heard of some people being upset on using her, but then losing her and her exp or something. Or is it possible to transfer that exp to someone else? Grandia II did it x )

There's no need to worry about EXP in FF7.  That's one of the great things about the game; it doesn't take too long to be powerful, but IMO it's balanced on how long it takes instead of the usual insane grind FF's have had before and after FF7-FF10.  On the other hand FF7R will probably have a different take on leveling up...probably for the worst if I had to guess.  I fear it will take forever to get the good shit, although it is a Nomura game so it might not be like FF12 and FF13.  I'm just basing this off of how FF games have been lately.  

They stopped adopting the Nintendo ease of access for leveling up like in SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and FF7-10, which sucks for us.

That is true. You can keep on grinding to gain exp, but if you invest in a character and they're gone, that would be kinda annoying if your efforts went away.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread