By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why FFVII Remake Should Keep Turn-Based Battles

The Fury said:
[...]

I don't care about graphics or other technical aspects too much. I at least expect some new gameplay, because if I'm just doing the same I did 20 years ago just with new graphics, I will get bored. I still know everything that happened in that game (god knows how many times I played it) and I want to be surprised every now and then. I want new enemies, I want new levels and yes, I also want a battle system that feels fresh and a system that challenges me. It's not like I want it to change from the ground up, but new ideas here and there would be very welcomed. If it's exactly the same, I will know from the frist second what to do with any enemy, with any boss, even with those ultima weapon guys. To me, that would be very disappointing. What would I have to look forward to?  

I just don't get people who want to play the same game again. I mean, they can already do that! What do shinier graphics or 3rd person looks or whatever change? Absolutely nothing! You won't remember the game the way it looks anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me. But I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. ^^

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

OdinHades said:: "What do shinier graphics or 3rd person looks or whatever change? Absolutely nothing!"

Strongly disagree. There's a reason for remasters (beyond making money). People loved the REmake for a reason. Now, Square could easily put in multiple difficuly settings if they wanted, or tweak the game so it isn't "boring" or "easy." (Why are people looking forward to a remake of a game they consider boring and easy again?) Change how the game plays fundamentally and they should just name it something new, like "Final Fantasy 7: Cloud's Button Basher."

OdinHades said:

I don't care about graphics or other technical aspects too much. I at least expect some new gameplay, because if I'm just doing the same I did 20 years ago just with new graphics, I will get bored. I still know everything that happened in that game (god knows how many times I played it) and I want to be surprised every now and then. I want new enemies, I want new levels and yes, I also want a battle system that feels fresh and a system that challenges me. It's not like I want it to change from the ground up, but new ideas here and there would be very welcomed. If it's exactly the same, I will know from the frist second what to do with any enemy, with any boss, even with those ultima weapon guys. To me, that would be very disappointing. What would I have to look forward to?  

I just don't get people who want to play the same game again. I mean, they can already do that! What do shinier graphics or 3rd person looks or whatever change? Absolutely nothing! You won't remember the game the way it looks anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me. But I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. ^^

I can understand a lot of that but the turn-based gameplay is the game. All those things, new enemies, new levels etc, can be in it but changing the basic gameplay removes the very basis of what the 'game' is based on. Each iteration of FF had the same basic gameplay, a characters taking turns in combat, even FF12 and 13 had that even if one removed the enclosed encounters and the other remove control of other party members. An FF game to me is a turn based RPG, not KH.

Indeed, disagree to disagree. I'd like a FF game to have FF gameplay, you seem not to want that.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Cloudman said:

That is true. You can keep on grinding to gain exp, but if you invest in a character and they're gone, that would be kinda annoying if your efforts went away.

EXP in FF7 went to all characters even if they weren't in your party. They have to because of the fact the main character disappears half way through and you are forced to use others, if they are majorly underleveled you'd lose too easily. FF8 compensated by having enemies level with you, can't remember how FF9 did it.

Oh, so that's how the issue is dealt with... Good to know that effort isn't lost.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

DakonBlackblade said:
Cloudman said:
DakonBlackblade said:

From a pratical point of view, woul you play her knowing you were just wasting effort ? Is one thing to do it when you dont know but if you do why would you waste your time on her ?

Honestly, I don't think I would. I would probably bench her for someone else.

As I said before I would only do it if there were some trophy associated to it, as I am a trophy hunter, not that I play games for the trophys only, but I have to get the platinum of every game I like, if I dont like the game I dont realy care but its hard for me not to liek a game, the ones I dislike the most i usualy think they are 7s and still have a lot of fun with them (Fallout 4 Im looking at you) and this is Final Fantasy, theres no way Ill think this is a 6 or lower.

On the Steam version, there's a trophy when you unlock her final limit break. It's about a 45-60 minute grind if you know how the limit break unlocking works.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
DakonBlackblade said:

As I said before I would only do it if there were some trophy associated to it, as I am a trophy hunter, not that I play games for the trophys only, but I have to get the platinum of every game I like, if I dont like the game I dont realy care but its hard for me not to liek a game, the ones I dislike the most i usualy think they are 7s and still have a lot of fun with them (Fallout 4 Im looking at you) and this is Final Fantasy, theres no way Ill think this is a 6 or lower.

On the Steam version, there's a trophy when you unlock her final limit break. It's about a 45-60 minute grind if you know how the limit break unlocking works.

Ye her final limit break is also absurdly OP, Square went fuck it its not liek itll be around for long so here have Great Gospel the thing that fully heals your party, cures all status afflictions and make you imortal for a handfull of turns. I doubt the limit system will be anything like it was, it was way too easy to game the system and learn the more powerfull limits super quickly.

Cloudman said:
The Fury said:
Cloudman said:

That is true. You can keep on grinding to gain exp, but if you invest in a character and they're gone, that would be kinda annoying if your efforts went away.

EXP in FF7 went to all characters even if they weren't in your party. They have to because of the fact the main character disappears half way through and you are forced to use others, if they are majorly underleveled you'd lose too easily. FF8 compensated by having enemies level with you, can't remember how FF9 did it.

Oh, so that's how the issue is dealt with... Good to know that effort isn't lost.

If I remeber correctly the ppl outside your party only got a fraction of the XP on FFVII not all of it, I might be wrong tough, its been awhile.

DakonBlackblade said:

If I remeber correctly the ppl outside your party only got a fraction of the XP on FFVII not all of it, I might be wrong tough, its been awhile.

I just looked it up, they get half, I think (sources aren't great), so you are right. I remember playing when free roaming and my main characters were like 80 something and my party of non-used ones were like 70 or something, if I wanted to I could put them in my team and they'd still do okay (just without limits as for that you need to use them). They were fine the first form battle with Sephy when you split into 3 parties. At least it's not like FF12, where the only characters that level are those in the party meaning in later stages of the game if you start losing team members, bringing in the reserves is pointless. Grind was too much in FF12 to bother leveling everyone.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
DakonBlackblade said:

I just looked it up, they get half, I think (sources aren't great), so you are right. I remember playing when free roaming and my main characters were like 80 something and my party of non-used ones were like 70 or something, if I wanted to I could put them in my team and they'd still do okay (just without limits as for that you need to use them). They were fine the first form battle with Sephy when you split into 3 parties. At least it's not like FF12, where the only characters that level are those in the party meaning in later stages of the game if you start losing team members, bringing in the reserves is pointless. Grind was too much in FF12 to bother leveling everyone.

There was a way to let FF XII auto playing to get lvs hehe, I dont remember exactly how but it was the way I used to get everyone to 90 after I had cleared everythign else and only Yiazmat was left hehe.