NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I hope it's an ARPG like XV.

Purism has no place in Final Fantasy. Every Final Fantasy changed the formula a bit, that's the tradition. Sticking to the old gameplay would make this remake to a remaster.

If you want tried and true old fashioned gameplay, go to Dragon Quest.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If not turnbased

me no buy.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

vivster said:
Purism has no place in Final Fantasy. Every Final Fantasy changed the formula a bit, that's the tradition. Sticking to the old gameplay would make this remake to a remaster.

That made no sense.

First, FF7 is not a new FF.

Second, are you saying RE remake isnt a remake because it didnt change the gameplay? I'm guessing you have a twisted concept of what a remake and a remaster are. Remake is the same game remade from scratch with new technology. Remaster is the same game with upresed textures and/or resolution and/or models with more poligons. In essence a remaster is a port, a remake isnt. Actually a remaster of FF7 is already coming to PS4 aswell. Its a port of the PC version.

Around the Network
Nem said:
vivster said:

That made no sense.

First, FF7 is not a new FF.

Second, are you saying RE remake isnt a remake because it didnt change the gameplay? I'm guessing you have a twisted concept of what a remake and a remaster are. Remake is the same game remade from scratch with new technology. Remaster is the same game with upresed textures and/or resolution and/or models with more poligons. In essence a remaster is a port, a remake isnt. Actually a remaster of FF7 is already coming to PS4 aswell. Its a port of the PC version.

The PC version of FFVII is a 1:1 port of the PSX version. And the one that's coming to PS4 is just a port of the port. All assets are unchanged. Nothing about it is even close to a remaster. 

A remaster would be replacing assets for more advanced ones but leaving the core gameplay untouched with maybe a few helpful additions. That would be your FFX remaster variety or for example the DQ remasters on mobile.

A remake is a completely new game that is based on an old game. So in that regard it is a new game. They will replace all assets. And in my mind there is no doubt that they will change up the gameplay, which might even go as far as revamping the materia system. That's what a remake is. They remake the game with current technology and acknowledging current trends like autosaves and a more action based combat system. They're absolutely free to do so.

Changing the combat will not suddenly make it something different than a remake.

The next step would be a reboot, which would be a complete reimagining of everything including the design and story.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Nah, they should change the combat system ...

Quite frankly if people want to play more turn based RPGs then there's tons of that from the 6/7th generation and handhelds with tolerable graphics ...

I want to see Nomura's true vision not hampered by the limitations of old consoles ...

If it's Turn-Based it's gonna flop horribly, there's just no point anymore to have Turn-base on RPGs unless it's Tactical like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM.

Turn-based battle systems are incredible boring, repetitive and require no skill or intelligence to play. In theory you could create a turn-based RPG that's actually challenging, but they never do, they only challenge is mindless doing the same thing a thousand times over and over.

Now the real problem is that Square's ARPG (Kingdom Hearts) is also pretty awful, and in a world where Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma exist I'm not putting a 100 hours in a game with crappy battle mechanics, maybe I could put out with something as bad as The Witcher 3 if the rest of the game is great, but any worse than that and I'm out.

Ultrashroomz said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Cloudman said:
I wonder more how they will handle the death of Aerith. I wonder if there will be a point in using her if she is just going to die later o:

That spoiler man.

The game is more than a decade old.

Who doesn't know what happens at this point? xD

Me.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Imnus said:
If it's Turn-Based it's gonna flop horribly, there's just no point anymore to have Turn-base on RPGs unless it's Tactical like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM.

Turn-based battle systems are incredible boring, repetitive and require no skill or intelligence to play. In theory you could create a turn-based RPG that's actually challenging, but they never do, they only challenge is mindless doing the same thing a thousand times over and over.

Now the real problem is that Square's ARPG (Kingdom Hearts) is also pretty awful, and in a world where Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma exist I'm not putting a 100 hours in a game with crappy battle mechanics, maybe I could put out with something as bad as The Witcher 3 if the rest of the game is great, but any worse than that and I'm out.

Perfect example of challenging turn based combat that encourages planning.