By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How To Build A Solid $500 Gaming PC For Fallout 4 And GTA V

snyperdud said:
A pretty solid build, and it'll way outperform the ps4. Just plug it in your tv and connect a controller and you're set. No desk or monitor required.

You still need an hdmi cable, os, controller, keyboard

Around the Network
zero129 said:

Where can you get them? you can look at that list conina posted. Or you can go back over some of our old conversations in other threads where i also gave you links to get them..

I looked at that. No idea why it is so cheap in Germany and so expensive in France and Australia. My guess is that those are OEM licenses.

Tagging for later read!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

JNK said:
snyperdud said:
A pretty solid build, and it'll way outperform the ps4. Just plug it in your tv and connect a controller and you're set. No desk or monitor required.

Pretty much this. You still end up paying about double than for the PS4 if you buy everything you really need to get going. Besides, in about 2 years, you won't be able to play all the newest games without issues. What the hell, it already happens right now, just look how Anno 2205 is eating away even high-end hardware. I don't know, there are quite a few reasons for gaming on PCs. But if you really want to go that way, you should spend a little more. You won't be happy for too long with such a cheap build.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
JNK said:

Besides, in about 2 years, you won't be able to play all the newest games without issues.

This is not true at all. Games are running flawlessly on lower and lower end GPU's as time progresses. Today even integrated GPU's are able to keep up on the low-end. Hell, for years (2010-2014) I was playing many of my games (albeit at low-medium settings) on a laptop with a 2 core 4 thread i5 and a low-end discrete Nvidia GPU (425m) that was weaker than a desktop 9600GT. Games I enjoyed in that period were (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls, Dishonoured, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Crysis 2, Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2,  and the last game I played on it was Dragon Age Inquisition.) 

It is telling that the game you had to cite for causing issues is a PC exclusive. 

Anybody who has a gaming GPU (r7 and up for AMD for example) can run any game (albeit maybe not at max settings) for the rest of this generation. 

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
JNK said:

Pretty much this. You still end up paying about double than for the PS4 if you buy everything you really need to get going. Besides, in about 2 years, you won't be able to play all the newest games without issues. What the hell, it already happens right now, just look how Anno 2205 is eating away even high-end hardware.

Most published Anno 2005 benchmarks (and PC benchmarks in general) are run with all settings maxed out instead of also testing the "high", "medium" and "low" settings, even if the games still look good in these lower settings... these sliders in the options are there for a reason!

Anno 2205 still looks nice in medium settings:

View on YouTube

View on YouTube

And how does Anno 2205 run on PS4 or Xbox One? Can the console versions keep solid 30 fps with a grown population or are there big slowdown problems in the endgame? Which PC settings are more similar to the console version? Low, medium or high?

zero129 said:
Azuren said:
zero129 said:

Should of known it wouldnt take you long to come in here with the same strawman tactics again..

As you can see The OS and Monitor and Controllers have all been discussed. Plus why would it be stuck to playing games at 50FPS??

And why is it in every PC thread your only defence is always "No OS, No monitor, No Joypad, Batman runs worse, etc etc. just look at his post history and you can clearly see how much he repeats them lines in every post.

((First of all, it's "should have ", not "should of". Huge pet peeve of mine.))

OS and monitors weren't discussed, they were dismissed with half-assed answers. TVs CAN run PCs, but no one wants to have to do that. You need a kb/m to run the OS, period. Controller is optional at a desk, but necessary for couch play from a TV.

And that last comment could easily be misconstrued as a personal attack,  so I'd watch your wording more carefully. 

Yes they where discussed. And i and others have discussed them points in great detail with lawlight before but yet he still keeps repeating the same thing.

How is telling someone that they can buy an OS for 20-30 euros a half assed answer?, how is pointing out that a person can use their PC on their TV a half assed answer?? even if you dont want to do it doesnt mean its not an option for a console gamer who wants the same console experience.

And you have a number of options when it comes to controllers. But you can even get yourself a Steam Controller thats made for playing PC games on the couch..

As for my last comment how could it been seen as a personal attack? This is in the PC section, Lawlight is known for coming into PC threads and starting trouble. Everything he has repeated in this thread he has said a number of times before and like i said, me and other users have tried to tell him different but he keeps doing it. That is not a personal attack...

Personally imo i think that any console only gamers thats coming into this thread with no other reason then to derail from the topic with such great posts as "You have to pay 200 for an OS" Or "You cant use your TV so you need a monitor" etc without taking into account what others have said to them and whats been posted before should just keep out as they are only doing it for one reason and its not to add to the discussion..

They're all half-assed answers because you still haven't included any of it in your pricing. Just because it's cheaper than most thought doesn't detract from the pricing not being listed, and if you're going to be plugging your PC into a TV and dooming yourself to awkwardly manning it from the couch, then you may as well get a console since it's designed for that. Getting a monitor for your PC is just as necessary for a PC experience as a kb/m is. Otherwise, what was the point? 10000 amateur mods for every good one? The ability to upgrade? Or just to try and stick it to console manufacturers?

I guess the point I'm making (as someone who has a PC and numerous consoles) is that you're selling a half-assed PC experience. Cheap parts with rebates, finding a Windows ISO, playing from the couch instead of at a desk with a kb/m- you're not offering a cheap PC gaming experience. You're offering to ruin someone for PC gaming. 

See, Lawlight is only defending consoles because the point of most of your Console vs PC threads is to discredit consoles as pointless and unnecessary. You blame him for always coming in here and attacking PC gaming, but he's only responding to you. And when you stop talking about the topic, and start talking about him, it becomes personal. You're attempting to discredit him by referring to him and what he does, instead of staying in topic. That's what makes it personal, and it's clear from your followup response that you're unaware of that. So again: stay on topic, attempting to discredit the other person isn't how a debate works, it's how politics works. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:

They're all half-assed answers because you still haven't included any of it in your pricing. Just because it's cheaper than most thought doesn't detract from the pricing not being listed, and if you're going to be plugging your PC into a TV and dooming yourself to awkwardly manning it from the couch, then you may as well get a console since it's designed for that. Getting a monitor for your PC is just as necessary for a PC experience as a kb/m is. Otherwise, what was the point? 10000 amateur mods for every good one? The ability to upgrade? Or just to try and stick it to console manufacturers?

@Bolded Being able to customize things to your wishes. The versatiity of a PC is very rewarding. Do I have to worry whether or not a game will focus on visuals/eye-candy or performance, especially since I might have different preferences for different games and genres? No, because I get to choose the right combination for ME. Can I play my FPS games and strategy games with a keyboard and mouse while playing my action games with a controller? Yes sir, I can. Do I have to worry whether or not a game will be optimized right for my platform and worry about framerate drops under 30fps? No, not if I have a minimum level of hardware. If I don't like a game's balance, visuals, or any other features can I download a mod to fix it to suit me? Yes. If a game has glitches do I have to wait for Bethesda or some other developer to fix it, or will the fan community have a patch within the next month that fixes the most agregious of glitches? If a game is a bad port, will the fans have my back and they can fix said port? Such as Dark Souls or Final Fantasy XIII that didn't run at 1080p in their vanilla forms? Can I stream my games to my laptop or HTPC with Steam In-Home streaming so that I can play on the living room TV when I feel like it without moving my desktop from my living room? Yes. Can I play the multitude of PC exclusive genres like RTS games and simulators? Yes. Do I have to pay an online subscription for the overwhelming majority of my games, especially as somebody who likes an online experience every now and then, but not too often that I would get my money's worth? No. Can I play on private servers, sometimes that use versions of games that the community feel is better than the newest version? Yes. Do I get my choice of video recording programs and streaming services, and my choice of rendering software to enhance my social gaming experience? Yes. Can I play older console games with much better visual quality, including 6th generation PS2, Dreamcast, Wii, and GC games? 

There is so much PC gaming has to offer, and none of these things require a monitor to enjoy them. To marginalize PC gaming as "desktop gaming" or "better graphics" does a huge disservice to what it really is about. 

And more than anything. When I make a PC for gaming, I can also use that PC for my scientific computing or office-work. That is something I cannot do with a console, and it justifies the extra cost for me personally as I am getting more than just a gaming system, but also a fully capable gaming system. 

ofrm1 said:
Way too cheap of a build. Won't be relevant two years from now and you'll have to spend a bunch more just to make it relevant.

Drop the 6300. Get an i5 4460.
Drop the TX3 and get a 212 evo.
Pick up a cheap h87 motherboard.
Ram's fine.
Add an 120gb SSD to the 1TB HD.
Drop the 2GB 380 and get a 4GB one.
Case is expensive for a budget build. Just get a cheap thermaltake. They're big and usually have plenty of 3.0 ports.
I prefer CX600 for an AMD card because of the higher TDP. Going AMD CPU and GPU with a 550w is likely dangerous depending on how high you overclock.

Total will be a little over 800. This is the absolute lowest I would go with a build. Any lower and I'll be eating cost down the road by being forced to upgrade.

Stop buying budget PC's. They're a waste of money and aren't good price for performance. If you're investing in a PC, make sure it will last longer than two years. That means anticipating where graphics will be by that point based on what they were two years ago. System Requirements have never been as demanding as they are now.

Agreed... the most important change for me would be a $50-upgrade to a R9 290 (4GB) instead of the R9 380 (2GB), which should give a great performance boost: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129316

sc94597 said:
Azuren said:

@Bolded Being able to customize things to your wishes. The versatiity of a PC is very rewarding. Do I have to worry whether or not a game will focus on visuals/eye-candy or performance, especially since I might have different preferences for different games and genres? No, because I get to choose the right combination for ME. Can I play my FPS games and strategy games with a keyboard and mouse while playing my action games with a controller? Yes sir, I can. Do I have to worry whether or not a game will be optimized right for my platform and worry about framerate drops under 30fps? No, not if I have a minimum level of hardware. If I don't like a game's balance, visuals, or any other features can I download a mod to fix it to suit me? Yes. If a game has glitches do I have to wait for Bethesda or some other developer to fix it, or will the fan community have a patch within the next month that fixes the most agregious of glitches? If a game is a bad port, will the fans have my back and they can fix said port? Such as Dark Souls or Final Fantasy XIII that didn't run at 1080p in their vanilla forms? Can I stream my games to my laptop or HTPC with Steam In-Home streaming so that I can play on the living room TV when I feel like it without moving my desktop from my living room? Yes. Can I play the multitude of PC exclusive genres like RTS games and simulators? Yes. Do I have to pay an online subscription for the overwhelming majority of my games, especially as somebody who likes an online experience every now and then, but not too often that I would get my money's worth? No. Can I play on private servers, sometimes that use versions of games that the community feel is better than the newest version? Yes. Do I get my choice of video recording programs and streaming services, and my choice of rendering software to enhance my social gaming experience? Yes. Can I play older console games with much better visual quality, including 6th generation PS2, Dreamcast, Wii, and GC games? 

There is so much PC gaming has to offer, and none of these things require a monitor to enjoy them. To marginalize PC gaming as "desktop gaming" or "better graphics" does a huge disservice to what it really is about. 

And more than anything. When I make a PC for gaming, I can also use that PC for my scientific computing or office-work. That is something I cannot do with a console, and it justifies the extra cost for me personally as I am getting more than just a gaming system, but also a fully capable gaming system. 

All fine and dandy, but the point of my post was pointing out that playing from the couch is not a PC experience. It's an awkward console experience. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames