By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How To Build A Solid $500 Gaming PC For Fallout 4 And GTA V

zero129 said:
Azuren said:
Kirin_gaming said:

You forgot the price of the tv :/

Everyone has a TV :/

Exactly so then all you have to do is plug your pc into it and use whatever joypad you have around..

And then still buy a wireless keyboard/TouchPad combo because a controller can't properly run an OS. And live with the more than likely awful contrast ratio.

All that aside, you're still spending $500 on a machine with no input devices and no OS, when you could get the whole package PLUS the games for less on either a PS4 or XB1.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Kirin_gaming said:
Azuren said:

Everyone has a TV :/

Nope, I for example only had 5 things when I started living on my own.A mattress, a monitor, my gaming PC, my laptop and my PS3.The setup you mentioned would've been useless for me, since apparently you can't use a console with a monitor, just like you can't use a PC with a TV...

If that's all someone owns, then they have more pressing concerns than PC vs Console to worry about. 

zero129 said:
Lawlight said:
In other words no monitor, no OS, no controller, have to rely on mall-in rebates, have to build the actual thing, $150 more expensive, valid only for the US to get to play games at around 50fps.

Should of known it wouldnt take you long to come in here with the same strawman tactics again..

As you can see The OS and Monitor and Controllers have all been discussed. Plus why would it be stuck to playing games at 50FPS??

And why is it in every PC thread your only defence is always "No OS, No monitor, No Joypad, Batman runs worse, etc etc. just look at his post history and you can clearly see how much he repeats them lines in every post.

((First of all, it's "should have ", not "should of". Huge pet peeve of mine.))

OS and monitors weren't discussed, they were dismissed with half-assed answers. TVs CAN run PCs, but no one wants to have to do that. You need a kb/m to run the OS, period. Controller is optional at a desk, but necessary for couch play from a TV.

And that last comment could easily be misconstrued as a personal attack,  so I'd watch your wording more carefully. 

I recently took advantage of an Open Box clearance sale at my work and "built" what I think is a pretty good PC, at least for what I paided for.

It's a Lenovo with an Intel Core i5-4460 (3.2GHz) with 8gb of RAM, 1TB HDD, and I threw in a Nvidia GTX 960. Paid less than $700 for everything. It runs Fallout 4 at 1080p on Ultra at 60fps with the occassional dips as well as iRacing on it's highest setting at 80+fps.

Beats the shit out of my $1000 laptop haha.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Nettles said:
Fact is "gaming" PCs keep getting cheaper and the games especially when steam has sales are already far cheaper.Consoles are the more expensive option nowdays.

Not really, amazon and other retailers have sales all the time for physical console games. PStore has flash sales all the times and its even cheaper with PS+ subscription.

Around the Network
BlowoverKing said:

I recently took advantage of an Open Box clearance sale at my work and "built" what I think is a pretty good PC, at least for what I paided for.

It's a Lenovo with an Intel Core i5-4460 (3.2GHz) with 8gb of RAM, 1TB HDD, and I threw in a Nvidia GTX 960. Paid less than $700 for everything. It runs Fallout 4 at 1080p on Ultra at 60fps with the occassional dips as well as iRacing on it's highest setting at 80+fps.

Beats the shit out of my $1000 laptop haha.

If only everyone's work place had clearance sales.

Nettles said:
Fact is "gaming" PCs keep getting cheaper and the games especially when steam has sales are already far cheaper.Consoles are the more expensive option nowdays.

Thanks god, consoles are also going to get cheaper and cheaper and no, pc games aren't that cheaper.

The problem with this build, or any other build I come across is that it assumes we already own a windows computer, which is just not that common of a thing these days.
I don't even know anyone with a windows desktop computer in their home at this point, some have a windows laptop, and most are fine with just their phones and tablets. So no we don't already own a copy of windows, or a mouse, or a keyboard.

The price listed is essentally the cost of an upgrade, rather than a new computer.

chapset said:
add the OS, keybord and mouse and optical drive ( because how the hell are you gonna install the drivers that will come with your peripherals)
  • possibility A: you don't need to... most popular drivers are already included in a windows build
  • possibility B: Windows recognises the hardware and automatically downloads the needed drivers
  • possibility C: you download the drivers from the internet and install them
  • possibility D: you ask the support if they can send you the driver or the proper URL, if you can't find it yourself
  • possibility E: a friend with an optical drive copies the drivers and sends them to you by e-Mail
  • possibility F: a friend with an optical drive copies the drivers on an USB stick
  • possibility G: a friend lends you an external optical drive... it's a one time thing, you never need it again
  • possibility H: you buy an optical drive, install the drivers and give it back within warranty ;)
  • possibility I: you buy an optical drive, install the drivers and sell it with minimal loss
  • possibility J: ... shall I go on?

Way too cheap of a build. Won't be relevant two years from now and you'll have to spend a bunch more just to make it relevant.

Drop the 6300. Get an i5 4460.
Drop the TX3 and get a 212 evo.
Pick up a cheap h87 motherboard.
Ram's fine.
Add an 120gb SSD to the 1TB HD.
Drop the 2GB 380 and get a 4GB one.
Case is expensive for a budget build. Just get a cheap thermaltake. They're big and usually have plenty of 3.0 ports.
I prefer CX600 for an AMD card because of the higher TDP. Going AMD CPU and GPU with a 550w is likely dangerous depending on how high you overclock.

Total will be a little over 800. This is the absolute lowest I would go with a build. Any lower and I'll be eating cost down the road by being forced to upgrade.

Stop buying budget PC's. They're a waste of money and aren't good price for performance. If you're investing in a PC, make sure it will last longer than two years. That means anticipating where graphics will be by that point based on what they were two years ago. System Requirements have never been as demanding as they are now.