By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How To Build A Solid $500 Gaming PC For Fallout 4 And GTA V

chapset said:

Or buy an optical drive and keep it so you don't have any problem in the future and add that to the cost of your pc.

But why add that cost when most PC gamers don't need that optical drive at all? Shall we also add the cost for an external or bigger hard drive to all consoles because sooner or later they need that additional space?

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Azuren said:

All fine and dandy, but the point of my post was pointing out that playing from the couch is not a PC experience. It's an awkward console experience. 

How exactly is it awkward? You can set it up to be practically the same experience as a console experience and plus some (the additional features I mentioned.) Wasn't your argument that if you have a PC connected to a television you are missing out on PC gaming somehow? I listed plenty of things unique to PC gaming that you still enjoy with a television only platform, and which you cannot really do or do efficiently on consoles. You don't lose any of the console experience either. 

Because you can't properly control a PC without a kb/m, which never works out the way you want from a couch. You'll either deal with low quality wireless equipment, finding a place to use your mouse, dealing with cables running from the tv to you, or some combination of that. It works, but it would ruin the experience.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

sc94597 said:
OdinHades said:

Besides, in about 2 years, you won't be able to play all the newest games without issues.

This is not true at all. Games are running flawlessly on lower and lower end GPU's as time progresses. Today even integrated GPU's are able to keep up on the low-end. Hell, for years (2010-2014) I was playing many of my games (albeit at low-medium settings) on a laptop with a 2 core 4 thread i5 and a low-end discrete Nvidia GPU (425m) that was weaker than a desktop 9600GT. Games I enjoyed in that period were (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls, Dishonoured, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Crysis 2, Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2,  and the last game I played on it was Dragon Age Inquisition.) 

It is telling that the game you had to cite for causing issues is a PC exclusive. 

Anybody who has a gaming GPU (r7 and up for AMD for example) can run any game (albeit maybe not at max settings) for the rest of this generation. 

Yeah, I'm also playing some games on my MacBook Pro Retina (some kind of i5 an Intel Iris graphics) but the experience isn't all that great. Cities Skylines runs good at the start, but once my city grows larger, I can't get beyond 20 fps even on minmal settings (720p). Kerbal Space Program also struggles very hard when I build a spacecraft with many many parts on them. Civilization 5 runs quite decent, but in later stages the loading times are killing me. I sometimes wait more than 3 minutes for a turn to end! I thought Fallout 3 should run very well, but have you tried to play that game with Windows 8 or Windows 10? It won't work. It simply won't work for whatever goddamn reason.

Games do run somewhat, but it's far from optimal and I don't think game developers will take care of old hardware too much. In 2007 I bought a GeForce 8800GT (refresh), which was quite a good graphics card at the time. I was very pleased to run Crysis at high settings and stuff like that. But afterwards I never bought new parts or a new desktop computer, I went with notebooks instead. When I tried to run some newer games around 2010 I already had trouble running new games like Bad Company 2 or Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit with high settings at Full HD. Most of the time I had just to switch to medium settings and 720p to get at least solid 30 fps. The games didn't look THAT much better than on console and that was with a relatively expensive graphics card from 2007. It was that time when I just switched completely to console because I didn't care about graphics anymore anyway. So I never tried to run games from after 2010, but I bet for example Tomb Raider or Metro: Last Light won't run all that good on a GeForce 8800GT. I played those games without any problems on the PS3 and they actually looked pretty good!

Now if I imagine to buy a middle-class or entry-level graphics card, I just can't possibly imagine that they will be enough for EVERY game for the next 5 years or so. Maybe I'm wrong, what do I know. But only with a console, I can be absolutely sure that I can run any games that will release throughout the generation. 

That's all of course my personal opinion and I don't want to say that PC gaming is bad or anything. I just don't think it's the best idea to buy a cheap build and then think it will have better looking games than the consoles for all eternity. If you really want to play on PC that's fine, everyone has their preferences. I just think that you should invest a little bit more.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:

So I never tried to run games from after 2010, but I bet for example Tomb Raider or Metro: Last Light won't run all that good on a GeForce 8800GT. I played those games without any problems on the PS3 and they actually looked pretty good!

That 8800GT should have kept up well with the Xbox360 + PS3 in these games in usual 7th-gen settings (1280x720) or even at 1680x1050:

View on YouTube

View on YouTube

And keep in mind that video recording in the background was quite demanding on older PCs, so the performance without recording was often a lot better. So here is one video captured without FRAPS distorting the real performance:

View on YouTube

Look people, it's gonna be hard to build a cheap PC, alright?

Think about it like this:

When it comes to consoles, you're paying a pretty reasonable price for a console, controller(or two), and any possible goodies that come with it. Plug in a TV or monitor and you're good for the next couple of years.

For PC, "affordable" PC's won't always give you the best results. That's why PC's are more expensive. Sure, they can reach astonishing prices of up to $2,000, but it'll give you great performances for the years to come.

So it's really a budget thing. If you can't spare 800+ bucks for a computer, then get a console, it's more worth it than a PC the same price,

if you can spare that extra cash, then do it. it'll be worth it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
sc94597 said:

How exactly is it awkward? You can set it up to be practically the same experience as a console experience and plus some (the additional features I mentioned.) Wasn't your argument that if you have a PC connected to a television you are missing out on PC gaming somehow? I listed plenty of things unique to PC gaming that you still enjoy with a television only platform, and which you cannot really do or do efficiently on consoles. You don't lose any of the console experience either. 

Because you can't properly control a PC without a kb/m, which never works out the way you want from a couch. You'll either deal with low quality wireless equipment, finding a place to use your mouse, dealing with cables running from the tv to you, or some combination of that. It works, but it would ruin the experience.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse from the couch on a daily basis for my HTPC. There is no noticeable input lag. Hell before I made this HTPC half the time my gaming desktop was connected to my television and I played plenty of games on it with the wireless keyboard and mouse. It is no more a problem than a wireless controller. 

hershel_layton said:

So it's really a budget thing. If you can't spare 800+ bucks for a computer, then get a console, it's more worth it than a PC the same price,

That is very subjective. For me, my $700 PC with an i5 4690k and a r9 280x surpasses the consoles big time in gaming, and I also get to use it for my schoolwork/browsing the web/etc. Much more value overall and worth more. 

sc94597 said:
hershel_layton said:

That is very subjective. For me, my $700 PC with an i5 4690k and a r9 280x surpasses the consoles big time in gaming, and I also get to use it for my schoolwork/browsing the web/etc. Much more value overall and worth more. 

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that ;D

I was referring to prebuilt computers( mainly gaming ones).

Look at Steam Mini PC's for instance. Affordable, but not as great of value compared to PC's that may be more expensive,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

sc94597 said:
hershel_layton said:

if it cost 700 dollars then I'd expect it to perform better, otherwise it's a piece of crap if it cost that much and underperforms against a ps4. lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
sc94597 said:

if it cost 700 dollars then I'd expect it to perform better, otherwise it's a piece of crap if it cost that much and underperforms against a ps4. lol

He specifically had $800 as his metric. :P But he restated that he meant prebuilt PCs.